Sign in to follow this  
maxum96

Thought I'd better say hello as as a new member to the forum. Some of you probably have seen me over on VMF. I bought a 70 Sportsroof back in 1985 and sold it 11 years later. Regretted it the whole time. I picked up my current project back in December 2008. Talk about a basket case. It came home most mostly in boxes with the drivetrain out of the car. And the car was a real Rustang. After replacing all the steel from the firewall forward and the floorpan, I just got the car running a month ago. I've had some real interesting experiences with working on the car this past year. It's still a long ways from done. I'm planning to do a Boss 302 clone. If you're interested you can click on the link to my Hub Garage and see more pictures and read my blog.

IMG_9955_detail.JPG

Welcome! Great looking project you got there. I don't get over to the VMF as often as I should, I barely have time for this place any more it seems, winter is always a good time to catch up on forums though. I just read last night in MM that Bob sold the website to some magazine company?

Welcome and nice looking 70 Stang! Have you made any mods to the suspension? It looks lowered a little. What size tires and wheels are you running? Looks good!

Thanks. The front suspension uses Global West tubular upper control arms with OpenTracker roller spring perches. The lower control arms are stock McQuay-Norris pieces that I welded steel to the bottom of them to box them in. The springs are 620 lb. springs that have been cut. It's a little lower than I'd like in the front. The back is 5 leaf springs with the little leaf removed. I used Competion Engeering's Slide-A-Link traction bars and I have Global West Del-A-Lum bushing and shackles waiting to be installed. I have 15x7 Magnums up front and 15x8 out back. Front tires are 215/65/15 and rears are 275/60/15

Very nice ride. 11.5:1 compression!! Will you be OK with pump gas or are you planing on some high octane stuff for the street? Does the "big solid roller" bleed it off some? Sounds like a awesome combo you have there and it should run strong as hell.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Very nice ride. 11.5:1 compression!! Will you be OK with pump gas or are you planing on some high octane stuff for the street? Does the "big solid roller" bleed it off some? Sounds like a awesome combo you have there and it should run strong as hell.

Because I'm using aluminum heads I'm able to get away with pump gas on the street. Not sure if you're aware of this, but because aluminum heads do a better job of dissipating heat, you can run almost 1 point more compression than iron heads. I haven't put more than 10 degrees initial timing in yet due to the fact I less than 200 miles on the motor and I'm still sorting things out with it. Also I haven't leaned the carb out yet and it's running rich to be on the safe side. But it does run like hell even now. So once I can put some more timing in it and lean it out, it should really run. Because E85 is so prevalant around here in N. Colorado and cheap, I'm looking in the future to convert my fuel system to that. It ranges from 100-110 octane. But it's going to require a new E85 carb for that.

Little video I shot couple of weeks ago. This is about 5000-5500 max rpm in this video. Max rpm I've seen so far was 6500 and it was still pulling hard. Rev limiter is set at 7500. I have a steel crank and H-beam rods, so I should be safe to there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqlKeRaiWuw

It sounds good. Yeah I know aluminum heads allow more compression but I would be chicken to try 11.5:1 around here with the watered down gas we have. E-85 is a good idea. We have alot of E-10 here and I have been wondering if it would help with detonation or make it worse.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

I used to work in the petroleum industry, so I have some experience with this. E-10 is just 10% alcohol added into gas (E85 is 85% alcohol and 15% gasoline). It helps to oxygenate the gas and reduce emissions. Most everywhere sells gas with the 10% alcohol added in. So you won't see any real performance gains with it. Look at the stickers on gas pumps when you fill up. You'll usually find a sticker saying 10% alcohol is blended into the gas.

Edited by maxum96

Hey Maxum 96, I saw you over on VMF and you were very helpful in preventing me from going anywhere near that Mustang in Georgia! You may remember it, it is one of those images you wish you could unsee. It may be burned permanently in your cerebral cortex now.

I had since narrowed my search strictly to the 1969 model year and just found one thanks to one of the members here. I haven't been posting lately since my search was concluded, but still lurking and gleaning information. I have to say that the internet has been very useful for folks to come together and help each other out in forums like this. Quite a difference since I was turning wrenches in my high school days.