Sign in to follow this  
BSD69

Hood clearence

That combination fits on my '70 FB with a 351W but I built my own front motor mounts and modified my trans tunnel to fit a TKO500 (raised the tunnel about 1 1/4") and I have a stock hood (no scoop, hole, etc.). I have had the car mocked up and it is all apart now being painted. Without some reference dimension to check, my project would not be an exact same application as yours. Having said that, there have been responsed on forums befoe that indicate that that combination will fit with a dropped base airfilter (1 3/4" I believe), a stock air filter will not fit. If you are running a 289/302 you will have more clearance because of the shorter deck height.

PS, I will be using a custom dropped base air filter that I built for my ram/cold air installation. Here's a pic of the mock-up (before I took it apart for painting). Hood closes with about a 1/2" clearance.

p6260001.jpg

With a 302 it should fit. It will be very difficult to fit it under the hood with a 351w. The 351 air gap intake is actually taller than a Vic Jr. With adjustable motor mounts and a drop base air cleaner it may work.(if you have a vacuum secondary carb you probably wont be able to use a drop base air cleaner that is deep enough to fit because it will hit the vac. secondary housing). If you have a choke air horn on your carb you will want at least 2" clearance between the top of your air cleaner and the base flange of the carb so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info. I do have a 351w and my hood has the non-functioning scoop. Would that give me enough room for sure or at least the option to modify the scoop without much difficulty. Again i appreciate your help and nice job with your car and intake.

the AIR Gap is actually not taller than a victor jr when on installed engine. The B dimension is towards the firewall so actually the extra height is where it won't matter. the front side is the more critical height.

according to the Edelbrock website for 9.5" deck 351W:

Performer

Manifold height.: A-3.50", B-4.75"

Torker II

Manifold height: A-3.55", B-4.75",

RPM Air Gap

Manifold height: A-5.31", B-6.19"

Victor Jr.

Manifold height: A-5.75", B-5.75"

I'm not sure if a non-ram air hood has other bracing but it would easily fit under mine. this motor has the 0.5" drop mounts. these are pictures of a cheap (testing for mock up purposes) 1.25" drop base 14" air cleaner with a 3" element on a Vic Jr. i have 3.175" of spacers under the air cleaner to manifold to model a holley and gasket.

if you needed more space you could probably shave a little off the intake (i'm going to shave .25" off the victor). i bet you could find a way to make the air gap work.

K&N makes a very nice 16", 2" drop base air cleaner.

with any drop base air cleaner you have to think about your throttle linkage.

IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5255.jpg

IMG_5254.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

Keep in mind that the Mach hood scoop is fairly narrow compared to your typical round K&N air filter. You may get away with using an oval air cleaner, similar to mine below. It restricts some air due to the small size of the air cleaner area. For reference, my intake is the Professional Products Typhoon manifold, which I believe is equivalent to the Edelbrock Performer RPM and I have about 1/2" clearance to the hood with that air cleaner. It is not a drop air cleaner btw.

Picture_023.sized.jpg

Keep in mind that the Mach hood scoop is fairly narrow compared to your typical round K&N air filter. You may get away with using an oval air cleaner, similar to mine below. It restricts some air due to the small size of the air cleaner area. For reference, my intake is the Professional Products Typhoon manifold, which I believe is equivalent to the Edelbrock Performer RPM and I have about 1/2" clearance to the hood with that air cleaner. It is not a drop air cleaner btw.

Picture_023.sized.jpg

I have the same intake except not the polished version with an oval air cleaner. We just set the engine in today and mine will NOT clear. I am trying to decide on what drop base to use with Typhoon manifold and Holley 770 vacuum secondary. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Moteaux
Omitted "Holley" from original post

is it touching at the nose towards the front of the car? can you grind the flange that contacts the carburetor at a very slight angle? cutting the carb mounting flange just slightly will drop the long nose of that air cleaner a lot. just do the math. add a very small spacer at the back of the neck for test purposes and you will quickly see the front drop.

I have the same intake except not the polished version with an oval air cleaner. We just set the engine in today and mine will NOT clear. I am trying to decide on what drop base to use with Typhoon manifold and Holley 770 vacuum secondary. Anyone have any suggestions?

What size oval air cleaner and where is it hitting? I shaved a bit off the mounting surface of the bottom air cleaner plate to gain a bit more clearance for a phenolic 1/4" carb spacer, but it fit fine without mods before without the carb spacer. If you are using the Cobra oval air cleaner then it is much longer than mine.

If you need measurements of mine let me know!

Moteaux, you might be hitting because of the TKO sitting lower than the factory 4-spd. did you notch your crossmember?

Demon... sorry that I may sound a bit dense here, but please help me to understand how the transmission would affect my hood clearance?

To answer your question, I did not use the factory cross member, I used the one supplied by Keisler. I previously converted from 3-spd stick to the TKO.

Moteaux,

i believe some of the TKO swap crossmembers sit lower in order to allow for sufficient clearance of the transmission to the floor reinforcement bracket (welded to the floorpan above the transmission). if the crossmember sits lower and changes the angle of the engine transmission, it will cause the front of the engine to rise. if you didn't have to do any clearancing of the floorpan reinforcement than more than likely you have changed the angle of everything and caused the front side of the air cleaner to hit the hood now.

you could look and see how much clearance you have in the transmission tunnel and potentially shim the transmission to crossmember to raise it in the rear. just watch the angles...

i don't have personal experience with the swap, but have done a little research lately on that subject.

I have a Holley Strip Dom, a one inch spacer with a 750 Holley covered ina 3in filter and have about 3/8 inch stock hood clearence.:shifty:

Cleveland I assume, which is shorter than the windsor

Moteaux,

i believe some of the TKO swap crossmembers sit lower in order to allow for sufficient clearance of the transmission to the floor reinforcement bracket (welded to the floorpan above the transmission). if the crossmember sits lower and changes the angle of the engine transmission, it will cause the front of the engine to rise. if you didn't have to do any clearancing of the floorpan reinforcement than more than likely you have changed the angle of everything and caused the front side of the air cleaner to hit the hood now.

I had to modify slightly, the floor reinforcement. It probably would have cleared but did so just to make sure.

you could look and see how much clearance you have in the transmission tunnel and potentially shim the transmission to crossmember to raise it in the rear. just watch the angles...

I will definitely look at this if necessary, but may not have to now.

i don't have personal experience with the swap, but have done a little research lately on that subject.

I pulled the oval air cleaner off and put on the old cheap 14 inch round air cleaner. It has about 7/8 inch drop from what I could measure and it cleared linkage, automatic choke and distributor and fit under hood. The oval sat right on top of the Pertronix dizzy. It also fits under the indention in the hood so it's all good as long as I use a 2 inch tall air filter. I would like to be able to run a 3 inch if going with round air cleaner so I will be looking to experiment with a 2 inch drop base if I can find one to check before actually buying.

Now, since the car came with a 2 bbl, I am looking at how to make the the linkage work or convert for the new 4 bbl. Anyone have experience with this?

Quick note - I am leaning heavily towards an RPM Air Gap on my "Plan B" engine that I started with a local builder a couple months ago when my TandL engine was taking too long. It's my original 302 C90E-6015-C block rebuilt as a 331 with 9.5 compression, RHS heads, power up to 6500rpm, and EZ-EFI, all forged bottom end just in case I want to add power later.

since it's a 302, I shouldn't have any problems, and I'm planning right now on going with a drop-base X-Stream type air filter with element on top. I figure, why risk not having enough airflow if you drop the base? Open up the top while you're at it. They're not as pretty as other cleaners, but it's a smart design. I'll report on clearance issues, if any, under the stock hood, but I should be good, even with the TK0600 in back pushing the engine up a bit in front.

I can tell you that with the stock height air cleaner base and K&N round filter + XStream top, it will not fit the 351w with my china intake. The drop base would help as well as the inch shorter deck height 302 motor.

Moteaux,

I have searched heavily for a 14" 2" drop base air cleaner and i'm certain they don't exist. K&N does make a 16" 2" drop base air cleaner. you should consider a 14" 1 1/4" drop base with a 2.813" tall K&N air filter (K&N part number E-3742).

or go to their flow control page and look at the various options including the 16" drop base.

Hi guys, I went through the install of the 351w airgap on my 1970 mach1 with the 70 windsor shaker scoop. The hood would not close without having the hood moved forward and up in the rear and the scoop would still mash down the rubber water shield and the hood still hit the shaker upper flapper base in the rear. also not to mention the weird look of the scoop sitting about an inch and a half above the hood. I swapped a friend out with his professional products Typhoon intake from his 351w 69 nonshaker hood stang and it fit nicely with proper hood closer and only rising the scoop about 5/8ths of an inch above the hoodline. Also the Airgap fit under his 69 hood with a hipo open style aircleaner with over a half inch clearence to spare.

hope this helps.

Super Victor and a 351w based motor - any way to make it work? X-Stream filter top dropped base air cleaner in a smaller diameter? It has a flat carb mounting surface vs. the more desirable dropped front carb pad. I could always attach an angled shim to help the front get a little more clearance . . . anybody run a Super Victor with a 351w successfully yet?

Super Victor and a 351w based motor - any way to make it work? X-Stream filter top dropped base air cleaner in a smaller diameter? It has a flat carb mounting surface vs. the more desirable dropped front carb pad. I could always attach an angled shim to help the front get a little more clearance . . . anybody run a Super Victor with a 351w successfully yet?