Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Crushed Roof?????

Hello all,

Very recently, I introduced a friend to this forum. He has a 70 vert that has a 302 and motor noises and smoking exhaust.

Many peoplelike I don't think his problem is in the lower end of the motor.

Some seem to think it is in the valve train.

Well today he sent me a depressing picture. It looks like a pile of snow, which he told me is his beautiful car. The car is real nice and he has had trouble after trouble.

The car was in a cavas? type gargare at his father's house a few miles from where he lives. They got hit with heavy snow (about a foot) and the garage collapsed on the car.

He has not seen the car but his mom sent a few pictures and he thinks all the windows are smashed and the roof is crushed.

I have several questions:

1. - Will his car insurance cover this?

2. - If the car insurance doesn't will the home insurance cover it?

If either insurance company covers the loss, what can he get as far as parts.

Will he have to get used parts or can he order from places like Mustangs Unlimited etc?

If in fact the convertible roof is crushed, what type of work will it be to fix?'

I don't know much about verts, but I am sure there is support rods that go across the roof. Will these have to be replaced?

AS far as all the windows, can he get new ones or are they going to be hard to acquire?

I advise him to take several pictures of the car under the mess and then remove the snow and canvas roof to see what is going on? If the roof is ruptured he will have wetness in the interior.

I am looking for some advice for him because right now he is frustrated, upset and depressed about the whole car in general.

He is a great guy and I sure would like to be able to advise him as a friend.

I know this post is kinda trivial compared to most, but right now he needs some glitter of hope.

Thanks for taking the time to read/ respond. Print Dad (Jim)

I know this post is kinda trivial compared to most,

Not at all trivial. This guy's had a bad month. Repro glass is available, as are convertible tops. The top frames come up on eBay if his is damaged beyond repair. So everything's probably fix-able for under a grand. It might not be in as bad shape as he thinks; the glass and frame may have survived and it might just need a new canvas top.

Fordrevhead is parting out a 70 vert here on the forum, check with him:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=7233

I wish him luck. The insurance company might not like the temporary nature of the structure it was in, but I hope they pay out the claim.

Hello Raven69Conv,

Thanks for taking the time to write. Thanks also for the tip on the parts.

I got another e-mail from my buddy and he says the roads are all bad and he can't get to the car. He thinks his parents may try to dig the car out.

Not good news on the insurance issue. Because he didn't have permanent garage, he could not get classic insurance.

I know it is hard to imagine his feelings but I sure would be depressed over this.

In his latest e-mail he wrote that he knows some parts can be found but he mentioned a few he thought would be hard to find. He wrote "for example the stainless steel exterior trim pieces that surrounds the windshield. " He might have been looking for this before, I don't know but right now he is just about at his end.

Thanks for your help. This is certainly a bad time of the year to have such a problem. I am just trying to gather some info to offer him hope and ideas.

I hope others will take the time to try and help as well. Thanks and I hope Santa take notice of your kindness. Print DAd

In his latest e-mail he wrote that he knows some parts can be found but he mentioned a few he thought would be hard to find.

True, but the thrill of the hunt is part of the fun for me. Watching eBay, Craig's List, rummaging thru junk boxes at swap meets is kinda fun. Have him set up e-mail alerts on eBay for "69 70 Mustang convertible". I have one set up and I've seen the stainless trim, hockey sticks, visor assemblies and other hard-to-find vert parts come up recently.

I hope others will take the time to try and help as well. Thanks and I hope Santa take notice of your kindness.

Ha, thank you. I just spent $500 repairing my furnace yesterday. Merry Christmas indeed. Tell your buddy (or if your reading this) to hang in there. We've all been in that place where it looks too overwhelming and the temptation is to take a sledgehammer to it but it gets better eventually. Get the snow off it and wrap it in a tarp, come back to it later....

Thanks Print Dad for the post.

So here's the latest on what has happened. The car was in a 16x20 portable garage. One of those types with a metal frame structure with thick tarp-like material stretched over it. This thing has held up well the last three winters so it never occurred to me that the snow would bring it down. I also had the car covered inside the structure.

I've attached a picture that my mom sent me yesterday. It's hard to see anything but the white mound next to the swing set is where my car is buried.

I did receive a status update a little while ago. My parents and a couple neighbors were able to get her uncovered. I'm waiting on the pictures of the damage. Once I get them I will share with the group. From what I was told the canvas top ripped by the rear window and chipped the paint in the same location. She said the top frame looks fine. There's also a dent in the front fender near where the antenna is she said is about the size of her fist. It appears all the glass is still intact.

Print Dad is right, I'm at my wits end at this point. Between the motor issues and now this. The universe is against me.

My home owners would not cover it, it would have to have some sort of auto insurance. Thats what I found out doing my projects in my garage. I eventually got classic auto ins. for the agreed amount (example 20k on the goat in pcs, but all parts stored at my house) for 203.00 anually, covered total loss or theft. 203.00 a yr is cheap when it comes to theft / fire that home owners will not pay out on!

I think (hope) its not going to be to bad, when dug out??

Hello d.reese,

In order to get classic auto insurance for a stated value,

the car must be in a secure locked garage. Their are regulations

as to what type of garage walls it must have.

Our Mach is stored in a cinder block garage and when I went to insure the car

Hagerty gave me some trouble because when I sent in pictures, they saw a

car port in the driveway. The car port is in front of the garage but I use that

for our daily driven Mustang.

I agree classic auto insurance is very reasonable (about 100 per year per ten thousand). In my opinion it is a great deal but you gotta be able to meet the

requirements for housing the car.

Thanks for taking the time to share. Print Dad

Hello d.reese,

In order to get classic auto insurance for a stated value,

the car must be in a secure locked garage. Their are regulations

as to what type of garage walls it must have.

Our Mach is stored in a cinder block garage and when I went to insure the car

Hagerty gave me some trouble because when I sent in pictures, they saw a

car port in the driveway. The car port is in front of the garage but I use that

for our daily driven Mustang.

I agree classic auto insurance is very reasonable (about 100 per year per ten thousand). In my opinion it is a great deal but you gotta be able to meet the

requirements for housing the car.

Thanks for taking the time to share. Print Dad

Just a suggestion cause the home owners is no help. Yes, agreed on the specifics of the policies out there, but I did mention doing my projects in my garage.

I'm about two hours south of DC (in typical traffic). When it warms up this spring I can come up and take a look at the engine with you, but be prepared to remove the intake if we need to inspect that far (have intake gaskets on hand to re-install). Just remember, you get what you pay for, and I'm not asking you to pay me!

This is just a hobby for fun. You don't rely on your Mustang to put food on the table. We work on them as time and money permit, and walk away when we're frustrated or have higher financial priorities. You'll get there.

I agree. Looking at the pics the fender really doesn't appear to be all that bad. I'm no professional bodyman, but I've bumped out some worse looking stuff than that. Someone who really knows what they're doing should have no problem straightening that out.

Sounds like 69gmachine might be able to help ya out with the engine. PrintDad had asked me about your engine problems since I've tried to help him out with his Mach, but having someone "hands on" will certainly be more productive.

See? Things are looking up already! Keep us updated and best of luck from here on out!

I'm about two hours south of DC (in typical traffic). When it warms up this spring I can come up and take a look at the engine with you, but be prepared to remove the intake if we need to inspect that far (have intake gaskets on hand to re-install). Just remember, you get what you pay for, and I'm not asking you to pay me!

This is just a hobby for fun. You don't rely on your Mustang to put food on the table. We work on them as time and money permit, and walk away when we're frustrated or have higher financial priorities. You'll get there.

Thanks for the offer to help out. I have posted a video in the technical forum under the thread "Blowing Smoke". If you get a minute check it out and see if you can come up with any ideas.

I sent the pictures to a friend of mine who owns a body shop, he's the one that did the Boss stripes and paint on my car, he told me he can repair the fender. He also recommended someone to install a new top. My only issue now is getting her running right so I can can then get all the cosmetic repairs done.

I sent the pictures to a friend of mine who owns a body shop, he's the one that did the Boss stripes and paint on my car, he told me he can repair the fender. He also recommended someone to install a new top. My only issue now is getting her running right so I can can then get all the cosmetic repairs done.

First to the many people who read/responded to the this post.....THANKS.....

I think we have all been in a dark spot at one time or another.

This forum and this thread I think represents all the good that is our hobby.

This guy has been on a roller coaster ride for quite some time. Just when he thinks things are getting better, they get worse. Very frustrating and discouraging. I know, I have been there.

So to all I can only say....... Thanks I think you have given HOPE at a time of the year when it is really needed.

My wish is that perhaps someday I can help others.

Merry Chistmas/Happy Holidays to all. Print Dad

You can install it yourself, if you're so inclined. I did mine a few years ago, with no prior experience, and it came out great. You need a staple gun, a tube of adhesive, and a free weekend. You need to make a jig to hold the frame rails in the proper location while you're working (I used some scrap 3/8" plywood I had laying around). The procedure is well-documented if you're interested. Just do it in a warm place, and stretch it tight, or it will sag in the hot sun, but it's very do-able by a DIY-er.