Sign in to follow this  
Sidthing

The longest resto

I hope I'm not bothering you all too much with my polling questions, but since car show season is over I can't go out and drool over other people's mustangs to pass time. I've been on and off working on my 69 for eleven years, tore it all apart a month after getting it, down to the shell. Sometimes when I'd look at it I forget it's a car and just see a garage full of parts that could double or triple my initial investment if I wanted to sell them. What I'm getting at is wanting to know how long it took, those of you who tore apart your whole car, to get it done? Anybody over eleven years?

I bought my coupe in '93 and it's been a work in progress ever since. Over the years I've redone everything mechanical in the car from brakes, suspension, tranny and engine. Now I finally think I'll get to the body and paint next summer. Oh, I still have the interior to do!

I'm at 8 years. I'm 100% certain that I will get it on the street in less than 2 more years (my goal is 1 year) but I won't be "done"

I hope to be finished with it within 15 years of starting. I've pretty much wasted 7 of the last 8 years, it should be done by now.

I bought mine in '88, stripped of all the paint, did some metal work and drove it with primer for about 6 years. Its been parked since '95. I just started getting into it again. Right now its down to the shell and I need to replace some floors, shock towers, etc. I don't have a target date for it to be done but in the next 2 years would be nice.

At times I feel like I'm a slave to this car, trying to squirel away as much money as I can for it, trying to make it to the garage to do a little work to it. Constantly looking for parts, hell I even spent 25 grand going to Wyotech to learn how to do the body work and paint the damn thing. It pisses my girlfriend off to no end when she askes what I'm thinking about and I mention "The 69." I have to try to convince her it's for her too, and how much fun she'll have riding in it. I really wish females had "The vision."

Last drove mine in 1986 (bought it in 83). Parked it the week my oldest was born. Moved a couple of times so it sat in storage for about a year back in 90-91. Kids took priority for years till about 3 years ago when I could afford to start buying parts again and the 2 oldest were out of school. Haven't been able to spend any money on it this year but have been working on it where I can. Wanted to finish it up by next summer but I'll have to push it out another year.

Edited by RacerX

Well since you asked, after I bought it in 1969 there were some UPGRADES, LOL. A head problem in 1976 lead to rebuilt heads that was too much for the original rings. An accident in 1977 parked it for a while. A new motor and other stuff got it on the road in 1985. Drove to my brother's wedding in New York in 1984. Stopped at the Paddock on the way and got some parts. Started rebuild in 1986 and only in the last year has serious work been done. I need another motor.

4 1/2 years and counting. At this point have dissassembled body, stripped paint, torn off rear end and replaced most of trunk floor and decklid, replaced interior floor areas that were rusted. 2 more years (maybe) if the money holds out. Have been going slow in the past year because of weddings of both daughters last summer.

Bought mine in 2002. It sat for 3 years while I finished another project (64 Bonneville for my Dad), and started actually working on mine in 2005. Have all the suspension, and underside done, and started on the body this year. I should get it painted next summer, and mabye done and on the road a year or 2 after that. My oldest boy is 12 now, so I am hoping to get my car done so we can find a car for him and that will be my next project!

I'm technically at 17 years! Sold my first car to get this mustang back in 1993 when i was 16. Tore it apart, did a little work, went to college, yada, yada, finally got a garage two years ago and restarted the project. I'm expecting paint in 1 to 1.5 years.