Sign in to follow this  
miked159

Question about welding

hey guys, i need help choosing a welder. Im a noob when it comes to welding, so I plan on teaching myself with books and dvd, etc. I just don't know what kind of welder to purchase. From what I gather on the net, it seems that the 140Amp range might be what Im looking for. Im just going to weld some pieces of the frame rails and just the front panels of the driver and passenger floors. And also the usual spots like inner wheelhouse and quarterpanel behind the wheel. The welders Im been looking at are the lincoln 140 and the millermatic 140. They both can weld from 24gauge to 10 gauge metal. The lincoln goes for 399 while the millermatic starts at 800. I know you get what you pay for, but Im worried about buying something thats way beyond the need of auto repair. Also Im not biased toward these two, if theres a better one out there please let me know. Any suggestions?

P.S. Theres this welding set Ive seen on this website, please tell me if its a good deal or not.

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/K2787-1A.html

Thanks in advance

I used a Lincoln 115 volt with a gas tank for a few years and was impresed by how it worked. The pro's I have known prefer a Miller over a Lincoln, but if you don't plan a making a living with the welder buy the Lincoln and get a good self dimming helmet. I used that welder for a 69 F 100 restore and for welding 1/8" angle iron together with no problems.

I'm not fimiliar with that machine but all you need is a wire feed with a gas sheild for sheet metal, you don't want flux core . I'm not sure if it's set up for that or not, it looks like it's flux wire or mig, just be sure to go with the gas shield wire feed it's by far the best way to go.

Edited by S code 69

Search here, you should be able to get any info you need.

http://weldingweb.com/index.php?

I have a Hobart Handler 140 and I love it. It did cost me about $500 for the welder and bottle setup. Had a helmet, gloves and a few other things already. It came with a spool of flux core wire. Its well worth it to get the gas and forget the flux core.

I have a hobart as well and it works great I got it off the web at a discount, one thing I would look at is, can you get parts local, all the welding places around here only cary parts for the top name brands like miller, which you dont usually need stuff but when you break a gun or a tip I have to order it, and it is gas shield which is worth it , you get to much splatter with flux core.

I am not a welding expert, and I have never owned a 110 welder (but have used one). But when I was shopping for a welder, I ended up getting a lincoln 175 (which current models are 180 or 185) I love my welder and have no regrets. Obviously it requires 220 service in your garage, and if you cant get 220 service to your garage, you are sort of stuck. I have used a 110 welder with normal household current welding something bigger than sheet metal, and it didn't cut it. The other thing I considered, is that the lincoln 110 welder did not come with a regulator for sheilding gas, which tipped my decision if favor of the bigger welder. Lincoln welders, tips, and wire are all available at home depot also. For welding sheet metal, the narrow wire (.023 i think) is the best. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the brands mentioned in this post. Just steer clear of the harbor freight cheapies, and if you can spend a little extra, and have 220 service for a heavier duty welder, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

If you ever plan on welding again, say making a trailer, making a rotisserie, etc. I would jump up to the Millermatic 180 for an extra $100-150. The Lincoln is a good machine but Miller's been using the same liner design forever (because it is good) and so there's no fear of never being able to find parts for it. In my eyes, an expensive tool that still works when you need it (even if you rarely use it down the road) is better than a cheaper tool that you cant get parts for or cant use even if you want to someday. A better machine will really hold its value too, so if two years after the Mustang you never weld again you can sell it and buy a table saw to build that entertainment center for the wife :blink: (or whatever comes up next).

For me I am heading to the 220v versions. More efficient, better duty cycle, etc. When I do weld, I lay it down and dont want to worry about overheating the unit, losing amperage, etc. I dont care about portability either so...

thanks for all who replied. Im looking to also weld some patches on the front frame rails. From what I gather Im prolly better off with a 220v mig welder. Since it cant run off american outlets, only question is how do i power it? do i have to get a generator or something?

You can weld anything on your car body with a 110 machine if that makes it easier for you power wise. a 220 machine would be better for other uses but if it requires you to get a generator I'd think hard about it . I think you can get a 110 converter can't you?