Sign in to follow this  
fro_drummer

69 shelby.....coupe???

Do a search for Shelby de Mexico and take a look at the '69s. These were all '69 coupes that were "Shelbyized" and sold in Mexico. Not many people know about these.

Many years ago when I was in high school, I found an ad in the paper for a '69 Shelby that was really cheap. A friend of mine and I drove over and found this coupe sitting in the driveway with no hood and really ratty. I thought to myself, "no way is this a true Shelby because it's a coupe." We tried to start the thing and when a flame came out of the carb about four feet high (I'm not kidding), we jumped out of the car and ran for our lives. Looking back, it may well have been one of these. Lord it was a mess though.

The 69 mexican shelbys didn't use the regular shelby nose. They had the stock nose with a shelby style hood. May have been a cut down version of an actual shelby hood as they were a couple of inches longer. They also had a fiberglass roof cap that extended the C pillars to give it a profile like the fastbacks, hence the vinyl tops to hide it.

Check the galleries on this site. I think there are numerous cars on here with the deck lid and side scoops. There's no reason the shelby style nose wouldn't fit if you wanted to use it but you have to convert to the 2 headlights from the 4.