Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

starting my engine build

So my 1969 fastback shell is out for minor work and paint!!! I am now working on my engine during the wait.

I have been searching for a 69 351w block for the longest time and found one here a few weeks ago. My plan is on building a 408w stroker (not going to over bore). I purchased a holley 650cfm double pumper, an edelbrock super victor jr intake, and a 4"x14" K&N X-Stream air filter.

I know you are probably saying that it won't fit under the hood, but have a fiberglass (aftermarket) boss 429 scoop. I am having my body guy open up the top of the hood (aftermarket hood, just couldn't cut up an original hood) to make it a functional hood scoop. After measuring the stock intake, carb, and air cleaner and compared it to my new set up, it only raised up 4". I figure if it is still too high i can get a deeper lower air pan as a fix.

My plan is to go with AFR or Edelbrock (performers or vic's) heads, I purchased a set of hooker super comp headers, going to use the comp cams 1:6 roller rockers, roller lifters, and cam (size not chosen yet). I am not sure whose 408 stroker kit i will use yet, but am currently researching. Of course there is other odd and ends that i am still looking into, but don't want to ramble on. :)

I guess you can say i am happy to see the progress of my project and wanted to share a bit with you guys.

sounds like a great build.... just remember to make sure the kit is for a 69 block. the deck height is different. im sure you can find one - i went with a scat 408 stroker kit with forged internals, scat forged stroker crank (408) internal balanced, h beam rods, SRP forged pistons and tied it together with canton main girdle and hp2go valley girdle pro. comp cams roller, lifters, 1.7 rockers, hyd roller retro cam, rattler balancer, mighty demon 750 annular carb.

but i had a screwball -- i put AFD cleveland heads on mine so that kinda changed the pistons up a bit. i overbuilt, i don't think ill every need the h beam rods etc but hopefully it will last a long time... if i change the heads for something later on in life etc:tongue_smilie:

Edited by stangme428

I think that you are going to be a little disappointed with the performance with the 650 carb. IMO that carb is way too small for a 408, its something you would put on a stock 351w. I think that you should really be looking at a Holley 950HP or a 750 or 800 annular Mighty Demon carb. The Holley 950HP is just a 750 main body with an 1 3/4" throttle bore base (Holley 850 base).

AFR makes a nice set of heads. You may also want to take a look at a set of Canfield heads. They have been known to make big power on sbf's for a while now. Its sounds like you are going to have one heck of a motor; have you thought about doing a custom camshaft? If you do, check out Camshaft Innovations www.camshaftinnovations.com. Jay can hook you up with a Custom roller cam, springs to match, and they sell Canfield heads as well. He's known for making camshafts that put up big numbers but are very streetable even though the numbers suggest that they should be too radical for the street. Good luck with your build!

Yeah I think that it is going to be way too small; I wouldnt hesitate to put a Holley 950hp on it. They dont flow 950cfm, more like 830. The main body is a 750 and the base plate is from an 850 carb, so the veturi size of the carb is that of a 750 so you shouldnt give up anything down low to a regular old 750 but you have the increased flow from the larger base plate. You have to remember that even though you are running a single plane intake you are trying to feed big block size cubic inches.

A better carb yet IMO is a Barry Grant Mighty Demon. Look at either a 750 or 800 with annular boosters. The annular boosters work very well on the street as they get into a stable air flow much easier at lower rpms than standard down leg boosters that you see on the Holley HP series carbs. This means more torque down low without giving up anything up top.

i would expect the carburetor to be one of the last items you choose.

consider contacting a professional company that specializes in carbs like (AED or Pro Systems) that builds and configures the carb to match your engine. i don't think the cost of one of these are that much more than an OTS Demon not designed for you engine. in the end the carb setup will be as close as you can get without dyno time.

this is a 351W with a Victor (not super victor)

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

I went with a Holley 780 DP for my Stroker. Problem is it's vacuum secondaries - which the engine builder gave me a deal on. Have a lag that I can't get rid of so in spring moving to a 780 with Mechanical secondaries. Agree with 6T9Mach1 that the 650 is to small for the 408 with the AFR heads, even thought it suited the 351W that I started from.

You'll love the engine if done right.. The torque and giddy up is FANTASTIC!