Sign in to follow this  
Angel

daily driver?

anybody running a daily driver with more than 400hp? i will be rebuilding my 351w next summer and i would like for it to put out about 400hp. my budget will be $6000. since its my daily driver, i want to stroke it so i can get more power out of it while using a conservative cam. gas mileage and drive ability is important. am i asking for too much? what do you guys think?

I think it depends on what kind of daily driving you do. If you will consistently be running highway speeds then you will need to take that into account with your trans and rear gear selection. If you won't be on the highway I think you should be fine. I'd love for mine to end up as a daily driver but don't think I'd be comfortable with it in the NJ winters, too much salt, rain and snow.

Horsepower is an intersting thing when you start talking to people , there is what they think they have , there's what their builder says they have and then there's what the dyno says. the dyno doesn't lie, and about 1 in 50 people leave happy.

A small block ford putting out an actual 400 hp isn't going to be a mild engine with good fuel milage is my guess, though they aren't engines I know very well.

ive got an AOD with stock 2.75 gears in the back. gas mileage is good on the highway. at 70mph, engine revs at 1600rpm. a lot of people tell me to go with a 408 stroker. im considering it but wanted to get some opinions.

Angel, If you are satisfied with the motor you have now and want to save a few bucks just change your rear gear. It seems kinda high to me, put a lower gear and it would seem like another motor. I like to run between 2000-2200 rpm at 70mph. Just my 2c.

well the engine needs a rebuild and im planning on doing that this coming summer. but im not sure if i should stroke it or keep it a 351. if i dont stroke it, ill be going with the 351 long rod set up.

3300 bucks Autozone 393 (rated 400hp, and I believe it to be close) long block, I have 6k miles on her and she runs like a bat outta hell. 2.79 rear gears with a C6, VERY streetable car (it would be nice ot get the rpm's down on the highway though) and I can get 13mpg or so. But I don't have a lockup converter and I think she wants more octane to really run right and get the mileage. But mid 13's at the track all day long on street tires and the open 2.79 rear.

I built an efi 347 with vic jr heads, vic efi intake, 75mm tb, and a comp cam

236/248@50 580 580 114. It has an aod w/3500 stall and 3.73 gears. I ran a 11.6@117. This was in my full weight (3400lb) 94gt. Drove it 1 1/2 hours to the track to race and drove home. Never really drove it any further than a couple hours but drove it around everyday around town with no problems. I also had a 150shot of nitrous on it and went 10.8@126. How's that for a daily driven street car!! :biggrin:

I didn't get any worse gas mileage than my 94 f150:001_cool:

Edited by 69shelbycoupe
forgot to add something

Horsepower is an intersting thing when you start talking to people , there is what they think they have , there's what their builder says they have and then there's what the dyno says. the dyno doesn't lie, and about 1 in 50 people leave happy.

A small block ford putting out an actual 400 hp isn't going to be a mild engine with good fuel milage is my guess, though they aren't engines I know very well.

horsepower vs. seat of the pants torque... What do you want to do with the car? Driving on the highway - leave the high gearing, street light to street light go with a 3.73-4.56 and you will see a huge difference in the acceleration.

I agree with S Code. People always SAY they have more HP than their car actually does.