Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

1969 mustang 9" rear end

Are you trying to figure out what's in your car? Best way I can explain it is if you can get a socket on all the carrier attaching nuts it's a 8". If a wrench is required on the bottom couple nuts, it's a 9".

Are you trying to figure out what's in your car? Best way I can explain it is if you can get a socket on all the carrier attaching nuts it's a 8". If a wrench is required on the bottom couple nuts, it's a 9".

+1, you can also measure the carrier diagonally also... 9" = 8" rear diff / close to 10" = 9" rear.

and to answer your question... unless it was special order a small block never came with a 9" except on the Boss. In New England you can never read the tags... and if you can, they were done differently from year to year, model to model, plant to plant, day to day; pita... but you can google some info.

Yes... But in Ford world, in reference to rear axles, they referred to the 351 as "medium block." Yeah I know, but I have seen it documented. Anyway, some medium blocks with 4 barrels came with the 9". But no small blocks other than the Boss 302.

Specifically a deep well socket on the ratchet will not work, I i recall correctly. Been awhile since I had my center section out. :thumbup: