Sign in to follow this  
69Indianfiremach

The best way to move a shell (fresh paint)

I'm new to the forum, although I have lurked for awhile with no login.

I have a 69 that is a shell that has fresh paint, and I need to get it home. Is there an easy way to fabricate a dolly for the front end?

I've come to the conclusion I should install the rear, if only temporary, to get in on and off the trailer, but I don't want to mock up the front suspension just yet.

Has anyone ever built a dolly/support for the front end with casters for use on a shell with no suspension?

Edited by 69Indianfiremach

I've seen several guys build a square frame about 4' x 4' that sits the body's frame rails on the frame you've made. There are 4 mounting points that the factory used to hold the car as it went down the line as a bare shell. Someone just posted a picture of one they built but I can't find it at the moment.

Here's a couple of pics of the one I made for my Fastback. Still not finished. I need to add 4 smaller square tubes with angle iron to make the height adjustable and locate on the chassis rails. The problem with this trolley is that the body won't be bolted down and only sits on the angle iron brackets.

i threw this together. four pieces of box tube, tack welded together. then just tack welded a few casters on. took about 15 minutes once i had the steel and casters. it took about 15 minutes too take it apart a few months ago (cutoff wheel to nick the tack welds).

IMG_1720.jpg

img_1980.jpg

I'm really jealous with the amount of space in your garage! I've got to go around lawn mowers, kids bikes etc to get to my side of the 2 car garage.

Don't be, I have the same obstacles as you only in a one car garage! Someone always has it worse, I don't even want to think about the nice big scratch I found this weekend on my brand new paint!

I don't even want to think about the nice big scratch I found this weekend on my brand new paint!

Ouch!!! I was thinking of building a divider/wall next to the car when I get to the point I'm worried about scratches.

Looks like a "newish" garage... mine looked like that (for about a month). In a few months, you're going to wish you insulated and finished it before you got all the tools in there and a car all apart.

My garage is 36x36. I was originally going to put a center wall and have one big mechanical bay, one big body bay. But I have avoided the center wall because I have so many more options. I even added a beam down the middle to eliminate 2 lolly columns. I dollied a car out of the back to the opposite bay and out yesterday with 2 other cars in there (one on jack stands). I can also tow a car in with my tractor and have enough room to get around the car and back out. I have a tarp I string down the center when I do body and paint.

Oh, and I have a solution for the scratches... no one else goes in my garage. :tongue:

it's an old garage, that i stripped to the frame, re-sided, re-roofed, etc. it's insulated, air conditioned/climate controlled, has 13 sets of flourescents in the ceiling, 4 sets in the two side walls, two filtered air drops and 60A 220 service on every wall. you can see a little of it in my avatar.

the last girl i dated said i loved this car more than her.

she was so right! :tongue_smilie:

it's an old garage, that i stripped to the frame, re-sided, re-roofed, etc. it's insulated, air conditioned/climate controlled, has 13 sets of flourescents in the ceiling, 4 sets in the two side walls, two filtered air drops and 60A 220 service on every wall. you can see a little of it in my avatar.

the last girl i dated said i loved this car more than her.

she was so right! :tongue_smilie:

:clap:

Well the girl left, you still have the garage. Gotcha... that was an old pic. Looks great now!