Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Rip van Winkle *is* a GT Coupe - whoo!

Hi gents, just got my Marti report this morning and it confirms this little sleeper of a coupe is a GT. I'm very excited about that. Just passing on the good news.

Tom

http://premiersoft.com/powpow/mustang/gt/rptMain_205.pdf

Oh, and does anybody know what the "Console" option means? After review, I clearly do not have the "Visibility" option, but I want what Console means...

The console is that long armrest that goes between the seats to the dash, sorry, I don't know another term other than console to describe that. I wouldn't be surprised if it is hidden in the PO's junk pile, probably took it out when they did the custom interior and never put it back, you should check with him. He may even have the original GT rims in there somewhere.

I thought some of the previous posts revealed it was a lime green car originally? I would keep it black jade personally if that is what it was, I think that is the best 69' original color made personally. I would also consder returning the car back to as near complete stock as you can, at least for the visible details, mechanical upgrades are always OK. I'm surprised the marti report doesn' tell you the color of the GT stripe but it's good odds that was gold.

Aren't you glad you didn't walk for a matter of $400 now? I'll bet Jr. is jealous!!!!!!

I *am* glad I didn't walk for $400! I was surprised that the Marti report didn't mention the stripes, but perhaps that paint code equates to base color and stripe? Probably not.

In any case, the car is Black Jade and the door codes matched. There may have been talk of another color, but not from me. I really like that color as well. There are some pretty rough spots, so I'll be repainting this somewhere down the line, but too many things to do first.

Just called the PO and he says he can't recall storing the console or wheels separately, so that may be a dead-end. I asked him to keep his eyes peeled when he goes through the rest of his storage. I suppose I should start the process of finding a console at some point.

Good advice about restoring as close to stock as possible. The interior will be my greatest challenge as it's in *really* good shape and I'm loathe to mess with it now anyway. All in good time, but I have no plans to further modify it...just get stuff working and see how the budget sits.

In the meantime, I'm pleased as punch (which I hear is pretty dang pleased).

Tom, they finally started to repro the 69 console a year or two ago, the original asking price was about the same as a used one in average conditon which usually means cracks in the screw holes, chipped or broken edges, loose hinge, faded color etc.... I don't know if they have reduced in price any since hitting the market but that is usually the case with most parts, used original may have fluctuated as a result also but do some homework first as the new may be the best way to go here cosidering the average condition of used on an item like this.

congrats Tom, BTW.....you suck!!!!!! not really but i had to say that as i am a little jealous. my GT coupe was originally Lime Gold with an Ivy Gold interior so maybe that's waht Pak was thinking of...not sure. BTW, i have a spare console that has been repaired at some point in it's life that i'd sell pretty cheap compared to a new one which is about $500 or so for a complete one. also have a pretty nice pair of black standard door panels that i'd sell really cheap too. i'll look around and see if there are any other GT bits and pieces laying around but i'll warn you right now guard that gas cap with your life they are unobtanium in as nice of shape as yours is. mine is close and it cost me a decent original one...about $350 plus a repro one to rob the base off of to make mine a really nice, but not perfect one and rechroming isn't really an option either because of the machined finish on the center of the flip down piece.

i think Pak was going to be selling his chrome GT wheels, with plain non GT center caps, at some point once he decided what wheels he's going to put on his vert.

well i can't find it right now but somewhere i have a spec sheet that has the included standard options the 69 GT group and the visibility group is one those included options it could be though that it was a required extra cost option instead of included.

BTW the visibility group option also included a chrome remote mirror drivers mirror, unless the car was ordered with the sport mirrors, and a locking glove box.

like i said the other day, though, i've seen other cars that were supposed to be GT's that didn't have the vis. group option either so take that for what it's worth. it's entirely likely that either the info i have is incorrect or, more likely, that for whatever reason the vis group option was simply overlooked or deleted somehow during production.

congrats Tom, BTW.....you suck!!!!!! not really but i had to say that as i am a little jealous. my GT coupe was originally Lime Gold with an Ivy Gold interior so maybe that's waht Pak was thinking of...not sure. BTW, i have a spare console that has been repaired at some point in it's life that i'd sell pretty cheap compared to a new one which is about $500 or so for a complete one. also have a pretty nice pair of black standard door panels that i'd sell really cheap too. i'll look around and see if there are any other GT bits and pieces laying around but i'll warn you right now guard that gas cap with your life they are unobtanium in as nice of shape as yours is. mine is close and it cost me a decent original one...about $350 plus a repro one to rob the base off of to make mine a really nice, but not perfect one and rechroming isn't really an option either because of the machined finish on the center of the flip down piece.

i think Pak was going to be selling his chrome GT wheels, with plain non GT center caps, at some point once he decided what wheels he's going to put on his vert.

No what I was thinking of was that someone decoded his door tag as dark Ivy green.

I am going to be selling my Ford (not repro) chrome style steel wheels, I forgot about that. All they would need is the GT center cap which is available repro to be correct on your car Tom so if you go that route let me know, I'll give you a good price. There is less than 1500 mi on them and the RWL tires.

Hey Pak, I'd be happy to buy your wheels and Bnickel's console. Let's work out a price and get it done. Obviously, I'm knee-deep in getting this thing started/rolling/stopping, but I can find room in the budget for these two items for sure.

Thanks!

tom