Sign in to follow this  
69RavenConv

1969 Glue-in glass vs. 1970 bolt in

There's been a lot of discussion lately about this popular topic. I happen to possess a full set of both 1969 glue-in glass and 1970 bolt in glass so I got them out tonight to compare.

As most of you know, the 1969 glass was glued into the guides and the glue usually failed. In 1970, Ford switched to glass that could be bolted to the guides (actually, they switched in late-1969 production so some '69s got it as well). A lot of '69 restorers switch to the more reliable 1970 glass.

The vertical weatherstrip, which was on the front windows in 1969, was moved to the rear windows in 1970. As a result, the 69 and 70 windows are not the same size.

The 1970 front windows are about a half inch longer than the 69's.

The 1970 back windows are about a half inch shorter than the 69's.

When you install the stainless weatherstrip for each model year, they work out to be the same total size.

So, if you're thinking about swapping to 1970 glass, you may want to swap all 4 windows to minimize adjustment issues. Otherwise, you're dealing with an extra half-inch of glass to adjust away...

I'll try to post some side-by-side pictures this weekend...

(p.s. - the 70's rear windows are glued in)

The vertical weatherstrip, which was on the front windows in 1969, was moved to the rear windows in 1970. As a result, the 69 and 70 windows are not the same size.

I have a 69 and a 70 fastback. They both have the vertical weatherstrip on the door glass. The 69 is glue in. The 70 is bolt in. Both are original and nothing has been changed on the doors.

I'm new, how are fastbacks different here? Are they still glue-in?

Fastback glass will interchange (glue-in vs. bolt-in). The original post explains the difference between bolt-in glass & glue-in glass for the coupes/convertibles.

i have a 69 coupe. Its been in my family for about 20yrs. When i started restoring it, my passenger window would not roll all the way down. I found out that this was because the passenger side window was off of a 70 with the bolt in style window. And as raven said, it was also longer by about 1/2 an inch. However, that window was replaced a long time ago because i guess it the original was broken and someone couldnt find a window off of a 69 so a 70 was used. The passenger rear window was also missing the vertical strip. As a result, with the door closed and windows up, the front window was on top of the rear window(glass to glass).

So far, Raven is right about the unequal lengths.

When i had the car painted, i swapped out the bolt in style for the glue in style because the driver side is also a glue in. But check this out. The vertical strip is NOT on the front driver side window. Its on the back window. When i swapped the passenger window out for the shorter 69 glue in, i simply put the vertical strip on the back window to compensate for length. I personally dont like the strip on the front window because i dont like the way it looks when the front window is rolled down only midway.

I think some cars had the strip on the front windows, and some had it on the back windows. The reason i believe this is because, although you can argue that my coupe's windows could have all been replaced with incorrect ones, how likely is it that this same thing happened to other cars?

"I have a 69 and a 70 fastback. They both have the vertical weatherstrip on the door glass. The 69 is glue in. The 70 is bolt in. Both are original and nothing has been changed on the doors."

I just went to my back yard and verified what i already knew. In addition to my 69 coupe, I also have a 69 fastback and a 70 fastback. One with glue in windows(69), one with bolt in(70). BOTH have the vertical strip on the REAR window. Not the front. All three cars have original doors. And except for the passenger front on my coupe, all have original windows.

So whats going on here?

I just went to my back yard and verified what i already knew. In addition to my 69 coupe, I also have a 69 fastback and a 70 fastback. One with glue in windows(69), one with bolt in(70). BOTH have the vertical strip on the REAR window. Not the front. All three cars have original doors. And except for the passenger front on my coupe, all have original windows.

So whats going on here?

Most likely the stainless strip that held the weatherstrip (on the rear edge of the front window) came unglued at some point. When I bought my car, I found mine laying in the bottom of the doors.

If there is no weatherstrip between the rear of the front window & the front of the rear window, something is amiss.

Does anyone have the measurements for the glue on brackets for a 69 fastback. There is a drawing floating arount on the net by David Suesz that shows the front bracket is 3/4 back from the front edge of the glass and the rear bracket is 27 1/2 back from the front edge. I used these measurments and found that the guides are still a fair way out. Can anyone confirm these measurements . Looking at mine the front should be about 1 inch back still allowing for adjustment. Would be nice to see if anyone still has brackets still glued in from the factory.

Cheers Shep

Does anyone have the measurements for the glue on brackets for a 69 fastback. There is a drawing floating arount on the net by David Suesz that shows the front bracket is 3/4 back from the front edge of the glass and the rear bracket is 27 1/2 back from the front edge. I used these measurments and found that the guides are still a fair way out. Can anyone confirm these measurements . Looking at mine the front should be about 1 inch back still allowing for adjustment. Would be nice to see if anyone still has brackets still glued in from the factory.

Cheers Shep