Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

70 Mach Quarter window weatherstrip how to

Hello,

This is my first post so please be kind. I am working on my 70 Mach 1 after 22 years in the garage. I noticed the weatherstrip is falling apart on my driver door. Looking at Mustangsunlimited I see that i can buy just the rubber or the steel? piece that attaches to the window.

I am trying to save a few bucks and purchase just the weatherstrip.

I looked at the door and it looks like the WS is in a track or channel on the piece of metal. Does this just pull of and then cement?

As mentioned, I am first time poster and not too bright so please try to explain what I should do. I did take a "V" shaped gasket on the edge of the door where the channel runs but I don't really see what I need to do.

Thanks to all that take the time to read and reply........Print Dad

The roofrail weatherstrip is one piece and starts at the bottom of the qtr. window running all the way to the bottome of the door jamb. It rides in a SS trim which remains in place on the roof rail. This roof rail trim is NOT reproduced so handle it with care, you shouldn't have to remove it in most cases. For starters the qtr window must come out. Access to the qtr. window is behind the fiberglass interior pieces on either side of the rear seat. First remove the rear seat by pushing on it toward the rear, releasing it. Now remove the fiberglass interior piece. The qtr. window hardware is on the back side of the door jam. Remove the hardware on the bottom first. The top rides on a stud bolted to the roof rail, release the bottom and swing it open and it should pop out by pulling it down. There are three studs holding the roofrail weatherstrip on just below the quarter window. Remove the nuts from these studs from underneath (they are just above the side scoop inside the qtr) and the weatherstrip can be removed. Hope this helps, I gotta go to work!!!

Hello Chillininnh,

Thanks for the reply but I think I may not have been clear in my question.

There is a stainless strip on the back of the driver and pass doors. This strip holds a piece of weatherstrip that when the door is closed, it hits the rear qtr window.

On this link it is item #4

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/EM_CatalogSite/00224.htm

They sell just the weatherstrip or the just the stainless strip that attaches to the door glass. I don't know how the WS is held to the strip and how to remove. I don't want to yank it off until I know how to replace it.

By the way your car looks great.......Thanks......Print Dad

I don't see anything but actual door glass in your link but I do know the part you are reffering to. First off, if your current piece of stainless trim is fine then no need to spend $50-60 on a whole new part, all you need is the $10-15 piece of rubber weatherstrip. The trim is simply press fit onto the window, grasp it with two hands at the top and bottom and lift up as you pull towards you, it should come off pretty easy.The old weatherstrip is probably rotted to death and one with the metal, you will have to likely dig most of it out with an icepick and clean the channel really well without ruining the trim. The new one will just be slid into place in the channel and will go smoother if coated with a little liquid soap, you don't want to stretch it by pulling hard to get it in. Then just press the trim back onto the window, start high and press down and in, just the opposite of removing it.

Welcome BTW!

The bottom of the vertical weatherstrip you are going to replace has a screw at the very bottom that holds it in place, in addition to the groove of the rubber fitting into the stainless window trim. There are three screws or rivets that hold the rubber plug in place on the door jam. You have to remove this rubber piece first to access that screw. If you start pulling up on the rubber without taking out that screw, you may end up pulling the whole assembly off or bending it, thro doubtful.

I don't see anything but actual door glass in your link but I do know the part you are reffering to. First off, if your current piece of stainless trim is fine then no need to spend $50-60 on a whole new part, all you need is the $10-15 piece of rubber weatherstrip. The trim is simply press fit onto the window, grasp it with two hands at the top and bottom and lift up as you pull towards you, it should come off pretty easy.The old weatherstrip is probably rotted to death and one with the metal, you will have to likely dig most of it out with an icepick and clean the channel really well without ruining the trim. The new one will just be slid into place in the channel and will go smoother if coated with a little liquid soap, you don't want to stretch it by pulling hard to get it in. Then just press the trim back onto the window, start high and press down and in, just the opposite of removing it.

Welcome BTW!

Hello Pakrat,

Thanks for the info..did you write something? I was distracted (haha)

The liquid soap idea is very good. Thanks.....Print Dad

The bottom of the vertical weatherstrip you are going to replace has a screw at the very bottom that holds it in place, in addition to the groove of the rubber fitting into the stainless window trim. There are three screws or rivets that hold the rubber plug in place on the door jam. You have to remove this rubber piece first to access that screw. If you start pulling up on the rubber without taking out that screw, you may end up pulling the whole assembly off or bending it, thro doubtful.

Hello mikem,

Last night I pulled the plug you are talking about. It had 3 screws. Once removed I couldn't see the smaller screw that holds the WS but I will put on the old glasses and check tomorrow.

If I understand this, I would remove the bottom screw and pull upwards out of the track that remains on the window. At the top of the window there appears to be a piece that acts as a stop and hangs on top of the window. So to install I pull downwards until the top piece sits on window and the screw should align.

Please bear with me: can this be done just by removing the "end plug" without taking the inner panel off? What i mean is will I see the head of the screw facing me under the plug or does it face the outer handle.

And lastly...do I need to cement the WS or is it held by the channel?

I am sorry to be a pain but I just don't want to mess things up and my confidence level is a bit low lately........Thanks so much.....Jim

If you have the window up, You have the steps right. It takes some pressure to get it coming out up the channel.

The screw may be covered under the black at the end, but its there to hold the rubber from riding up. and +1 on the dish soap lube for the install.

Sorry for the distraction, lol. That's weird about the screw on the Mach trim, the convertible trim has no screw at the end at all, it is just press fit. Anywho, you should have all the info you need now to do it so stay confident and go slow.

Jim, you are correct on pulling upward to remove and downward to install the new one until it seats. No adhesive is used. Use the soapy water method or some armourall to slide the vertical seal in. It may help removing the old one too. The screw will face you and Mach1rider is correct in that it may be concealed with some rubber flashing from the old seal. Then again, it may not be there at all as with PakRatl, if it was previously replaced. Both my 69 and 70 had this screw.

You are definately NOT a pain. We all were (are) in the same boat as you. You are amoung friends here, as i have learned. If i can see the screw, i will take a pic and post it for you.

Hmmm, that's a good point, my screws may have just been missing due to previous owner syndrome, I never thought to look if something should be there that wasn't. My windows are only ever up in the garage anyway.:shifty:

Sorry for the distraction, lol. That's weird about the screw on the Mach trim, the convertible trim has no screw at the end at all, it is just press fit. Anywho, you should have all the info you need now to do it so stay confident and go slow.

Hello Pak,

I was joking about the distraction. I was referring to your avitar as a joke.

Thanks for the help and to all the members who helped as well.

I ordered the parts today from MU and should have them in a few days.

I am pretty sure this will get done.

Thanks again......Print Dad...Jim

Hello mikem,

Thanks a lot. I ordered the parts today from Mustangs U. I should get them in a few days

I am sure I understand it all now.

I thank you for your time, patience and information.

I get a bit nervous when ripping things off the car. I like to be sure I understand the proper way to do things before I get into it.

Just a little history on the car. I purchased the car back in 1973/4 as a Sunday cruiser. The car was in pretty good shape. I put it in the garage when our son was born in 1987 and it has been there since. I used to start the car but it got away from me and sat for 20 years with old gas. I replaced the carb, fuel pump etc and drained the tank. After all this I started the car and it ran but a few days later everything was gummed up. (Stupid me). I had bent a few pushrods etc.etc.

I rebuitl the carb, installed a new tank, replace fuel pump and loosened valves *mystery oil" and got her running again. I checked compression and rebuilt the new Holley and did a complete tune-up.

Anyway she is running and I took it out of the garage this past week-end. It was great to wash the car after all these years.

The car looks good from about 40 feet but needs a new coat of paint.

Lastly it is an original 70 Mach - but painted black. It has a 351 Clev with 3 speed stick and single exhaust. Kinda weird combo.

Thanks and I will be using this forum alot............Print Dad.........Jim

Now I need to do a few more things

Hello Pak,

I was joking about the distraction. I was referring to your avitar as a joke.

Oh I knew exactly what you meant, I get that all the time, that's why I added the lol after saying sorry.

Anyway glad you are on the path, you found the right place for sure, we are the friendliest forum bunch you'll ever find and there isn't better specific 69/70' info to be found anywhere so don't ever think a question is too dumb to ask. (But we do encourage running it by the search engine first as alot of ground has been covered numerous times in the past decade or so).

Good luck!

Well the strip is on. I saw the screw hole in the old rubber but couldn't find the screw. There was no screw hole on the new. I think I should glue it a bit even though it is in a channel, it seems to come away from the door stainless channel. I think I am OK on this.Thanks for all the help form lot's of people......Print Dad

Well the strip is on. I saw the screw hole in the old rubber but couldn't find the screw. There was no screw hole on the new. I think I should glue it a bit even though it is in a channel, it seems to come away from the door stainless channel. I think I am OK on this.Thanks for all the help form lot's of people......Print Dad

The screw hole may be there but covered by the rubber .look at the back side of the piece where it meets up to the stainless piece and you should see the filled in hole .just push a test light or ice pick through the hole .