Sign in to follow this  
69_302RustangFB

A little different!

Well, its been quite awhile sense I've posted anything especially with updates on my 69FB progress, but after one year out at the body shop i finally got her back all fixed up and painted. All my friends wanted me to paint it Grabber Orange to match my 07 GT/CS, Hot color but personally I've seen too many around my area restored to that color and I didn't want to go back to original candy apple red. Wanted something unique and different and well thats definitely what I got. The color I wanted to go with is called Vibrant Sunset Red, basically a Candy Apple Red over a coat of real fine gold. The combination had been used on another car and looked real sharp, of course it is suppose to give two different variants of red depending on the light etc.. with no trace of orange like is seen. My paint guy painted the underside of the deck lid first and as luck would have it PPG sent the incorrect content of gold base coat (labeled correctly though) and sprayed under florescent light it looks like it should with no hint of orange. Needless to say as soon as it was taken into the sunlight my paint guy noticed the orange highlights and called me up to come take a look at it before he sprayed anything else. I pondered it for a while got a couple of opinions and finally said what the heck lets go with it, so had to send the gold base paint back to find out what mixture had actually been sent so more could be ordered to match and well... the pics say the rest and it looks even better in person.

I love that effect with the gold underneath. Trying to think what that'd do for a dark green.

I personally think it would make the green appear deeper and richer. You may want to go with a light primer color (gray?) so the gold base will "pop" more since final primer color will affect the paint color.

I had a fox body stang years ago i restored/painted Candy Apple Blue over a silver flake base. You just can't beat Candies, they are so deep and beautiful!

Very nice car!

Here's a pic of my old Candy stang...

Thanks! Good looking Fox Body btw Jayru. 70mstang, hard to say what it would look like with green over gold. personally i think you would end up having more of yellow green highlights. Just depends what exactly your looking for, but you might consider a silver base color too. My paint job has light grey primer coat, 2 coats of the base gold, 4 coats of the candy apple red and then 2 coats clear. All PPG products. Because of how the color turned out I'm having a hard time deciding what trim to put back on and what type or if I should even put any stripes on it, then further more what color the stripes should be. I still have a hood scoop, rear window louvers and the trunk spoiler to put on so...any suggestions i'm all ears.

Edited by 69_302RustangFB

Thanks! Good looking Fox Body btw Jayru. 70mstang, hard to say what it would look like with green over gold. personally i think you would end up having more of yellow green highlights. Just depends what exactly your looking for, but you might consider a silver base color too. My paint job has light grey primer coat, 2 coats of the base gold, 4 coats of the candy apple red and then 2 coats clear. All PPG products. Because of how the color turned out I'm having a hard time deciding what trim to put back on and what type or if I should even put any stripes on it, then further more what color the stripes should be. I still have a hood scoop, rear window louvers and the trunk spoiler to put on so...any suggestions i'm all ears.

how about doing the blackout hood but in a flattened color that would compliment your paint. maybe a flat titanium color or something like that. maybe do a boss 302 style side stripe in the same color?

Definitely reminds me of an orange lollipop in the sun, actually reminds me of a modern version of the original Indian Fire color, I think it would look great with simple flat black on the hood and flat black GT type rocker stripe, maybe even flat black tail light panel too, certaily would compliment the front and rear spoiler and slats.

I always thought a true candy was just a tinted clear over the silver or gold with no actual solid base color between?

I always thought a true candy was just a tinted clear over the silver or gold with no actual solid base color between?

Base/Candy/Clear (no solid colors were mentioned)

He used PPG Vibrance. PPG also has a new waterbased Vibrance that I believe does require another intermediate coat. I am just beginning to read and learn about these, as "Greener" body shops open.

When I remember the green over gold color variation name and google it again (since my new hard drive is now missing all of this research) I will post it, as it sounds exactly like someone else had in mind. It's a color I have considered myself.