Sign in to follow this  
jag

Shaker Base

If you go repo - Aussie Ford sells metal ones that are close to original. Leon up in NYC sells the fiberglass ones. If you want links to the sites, let me know and I'll post them from my home system.

If you go repo - Aussie Ford sells metal ones that are close to original. Leon up in NYC sells the fiberglass ones. If you want links to the sites, let me know and I'll post them from my home system.

CJ, do have first hand knowledge of the quality of the Aussie units? I would prefer a metal base as opposed to a fiberglass base. Are the Aussie units high in price? Pak, I had called Pereogie last year and they did not have any windsor bases. A few years ago their warehouse caught on fire and hundreds of shakers went up in smoke. Thanks for all the help on this issue.

JAG

CJ, do have first hand knowledge of the quality of the Aussie units? I would prefer a metal base as opposed to a fiberglass base. Are the Aussie units high in price? Pak, I had called Pereogie last year and they did not have any windsor bases. A few years ago their warehouse caught on fire and hundreds of shakers went up in smoke. Thanks for all the help on this issue.

JAG

CJ, I forgot to ask youto post the links to the sites you talked about. Thanks for the suggestions. What is the feeling about being able to find an original 351 W shaker base, good chance or poor chance?

JAG

Use your own metal base that you have now. Buy a convertion ring and weld,tack or bond it to your stock base. Ive done it several times on a 351C and it works great. I dont know why it wouldnt work on a 351W. Follow this link and search for shaker and scroll down to the convertion ring:

http://www.fomoco.com.au/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=50#

Thanks Coz and jbauer4363. I don't believe the Windsor carb sits in the same place as a Clevland does. I think the base is offset either forward or back versus a Cleveland. Does anyone know if that istatement is true? If it is in the same place then I only have to worry about height. I don't have the original air cleaner base The car came with an aftermarket air cleaner.

JAG

I don't believe the Windsor carb sits in the same place as a Clevland does. I think the base is offset either forward or back versus a Cleveland. If it is in the same place then I only have to worry about height. I don't have the original air cleaner base The car came with an aftermarket air cleaner.

JAG

If you are using an original Windsor base I dont thing it would be a problem. It would sit where it supposed to and I wouldnt think the height would be a problem. Here are some links to some picks of the shaker I made out of my original non shaker 351C base and the convertion ring:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/938553/2707498/27635950.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/938553/2707498/27636095.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/938553/2707498/27635969.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/938553/2707498/27636010.jpg

no adjustment had to be made for the height on the stock base with ring.

JBauer4363

JB that looks really nice, very original looking and you do good work. I will have to see if I can find an original base and then try the conversion. Thanks for the pictures and the advice.

JAG

I'm watching this thread with some interest. I have all the upper pieces for a shaker but I am also missing the base. I do not yet know what sort of intake or carb I might go with on my build, thus I think a fiberglass base would be better to cut up to make the fit right. I would never cut up original parts to accomodate for aftermarket or reproductions.

The good news is that I got a fantastic deal on the upper shaker and original rear window louvers. But I have a LONG way to go before I'm ready for these parts. I'm still working towards paint..

MustangColor.gif

Edited by Fantastic

Obviously a stock manifold will work. I was also told by a vendor that the Edelbrock Performer intake would also work. If anyone has any other info ...please speak up. I also read some where that the placement of the shaker on the hoods of mustangs was the same. That is why the bases were varied to match the carb placement on the different engines. I have sent an email to GT Performance asking about a metal base. When I get an answer I'll post the reply. I have an original shaker base but I believe it is for a Torino and I don't want to cut it if I can get a repo metal base for my Mach 1 somewhere.

JAG

I talked to Leon at FordRamAir.com and he sent me this picture of his metal shaker maker for a 17" for base. He said the 2 side tabs would have to be moved a bit from where he has them to fit an original shaker midplate. $170.00 + shipping. i am going to make me one up for my driver coupe. I picked up a complete CJ shaker last week at the local swap me so I have decided to use it. Here is a picture, it looks like a pretty nice part.

shkr_conv_ring.jpg