Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Export Brace & Monte Carlo Bar: Worth it?

Going to order a few things from Mustangs Plus and was looking at their Export Brace & Monte Carlo bar.

There so cheap! So I'm tempted to pick them both up. But they also seem kinda small/flimsy looking.

When i had the stock export braces unbolted to do the front shocks, i was shocked how thin/crappy they were! I guess anything's an improvement over stock, but...

I know some of you on here are running them, do they actually stiffen the car up any?

Feedback is much appreciated!

Going to order a few things from Mustangs Plus and was looking at their Export Brace & Monte Carlo bar.

There so cheap! So I'm tempted to pick them both up. But they also seem kinda small/flimsy looking.

When i had the stock export braces unbolted to do the front shocks, i was shocked how thin/crappy they were! I guess anything's an improvement over stock, but...

I know some of you on here are running them, do they actually stiffen the car up any?

Feedback is much appreciated!

The export brace does a fantastic job of tightening up the car. The mote carlo bar does much less- I recall seeing some analysis, perhaps on corner-carvers, that said it did nothing at all over the export brace.

The export brace does a fantastic job of tightening up the car. The mote carlo bar does much less- I recall seeing some analysis, perhaps on corner-carvers, that said it did nothing at all over the export brace.

Here's a link to a pretty good article on the subject. I upgraded to the one-piece export brace but not the monte carlo bar. I've read that only the straight monte carlo bar really does anything, as the curved one acts like a spring and just flexes along with the rest of the body. Don't have any personal experience either way.

http://www.fly-ford.com/MM0105-How_To_Install_an_Export_Brace_and_a_Monte_Carlo_Bar.html

Here's a link to a pretty good article on the subject. I upgraded to the one-piece export brace but not the monte carlo bar. I've read that only the straight monte carlo bar really does anything, as the curved one acts like a spring and just flexes along with the rest of the body. Don't have any personal experience either way.

http://www.fly-ford.com/MM0105-How_To_Install_an_Export_Brace_and_a_Monte_Carlo_Bar.html

Most definitely agree on the straight vs. curved Monte Carlo bar. I've had both. The straight was a pain many years ago when I was running points and needing to change them out. Now with electronic ignitions it's become a mute point. The fact that it’s curved in the middle causes it to lose some of it’s rigidness over the straight bar. Unless you swap out points weekly and have the long oval Cobra air filter, go with a straight one.

Most definitely agree on the straight vs. curved Monte Carlo bar. I've had both. The straight was a pain many years ago when I was running points and needing to change them out. Now with electronic ignitions it's become a mute point. The fact that it’s curved in the middle causes it to lose some of it’s rigidness over the straight bar. Unless you swap out points weekly and have the long oval Cobra air filter, go with a straight one.

Jay,

The straight versus curved issue is really whether you can get the straight one around (in front of) the dizzy. If so, go straight. I was unable to clear the dizzy so I went curved.

Both are well worth the cost unless you are going 100% stock and don't want to drill holes for the Monte Carlo bar.

Jay,

The straight versus curved issue is really whether you can get the straight one around (in front of) the dizzy. If so, go straight. I was unable to clear the dizzy so I went curved.

Both are well worth the cost unless you are going 100% stock and don't want to drill holes for the Monte Carlo bar.

Jay,

My motor's out of the car at the moment, so i have no way of knowing right now. I'll have a 302 with the Duraspark II dist out of a 79 Granada. Anyone know if i can get away with the straight one?

Jay,

My motor's out of the car at the moment, so i have no way of knowing right now. I'll have a 302 with the Duraspark II dist out of a 79 Granada. Anyone know if i can get away with the straight one?

It will work if you use the old style small distributor cap. Mine has a strait bar with a 302 and it's a pain just getting the cap off, but doable. Both braces are well worth the money. It will save your shock towers from cracking and flexing if nothing else. If your car has never had them before, installing them can be a pain. The shock towers tilt in over time and sometimes they need to be spread out a bit before the braces will even think about bolting in..

It will work if you use the old style small distributor cap. Mine has a strait bar with a 302 and it's a pain just getting the cap off, but doable. Both braces are well worth the money. It will save your shock towers from cracking and flexing if nothing else. If your car has never had them before, installing them can be a pain. The shock towers tilt in over time and sometimes they need to be spread out a bit before the braces will even think about bolting in..

Jayru,

If you want to stiffen up your car, consider subframe connectors. You'll really feel a difference. I have the one piece export brace that is much stronger than the stock individual shock tower braces.

Jayru,

If you want to stiffen up your car, consider subframe connectors. You'll really feel a difference. I have the one piece export brace that is much stronger than the stock individual shock tower braces.

While on the subject of Monte Bars, has anyone tried the new 69'/70' specific one yet? I added the export brace a while back and was planning on adding a Monte now that the engine is back in and I know you used to have use the 65'/66' one so I am curious what the difference is if any.

While on the subject of Monte Bars, has anyone tried the new 69'/70' specific one yet? I added the export brace a while back and was planning on adding a Monte now that the engine is back in and I know you used to have use the 65'/66' one so I am curious what the difference is if any.

Jayru,

Not to jump topics, but 9350 has been holding out. I didn't see the write up on his Serpentine set-up. Did anybody else see it? Wonder why that is. *hint, hint*:biggrin:

I have the Export/MC setup as well. I noticed a little more stiffness, but for me, a larger sway bar gave me the biggest *seat of the pants* feel. I noticed a lot more stiffness with this combined with the Shelby Drop. Yeah....it's pretty much on rails...well.....with a little bump steer here there.:whistling:

Now if you have the stock springs and shocks, you may want to take a look at that as well.

Jayru,

Not to jump topics, but 9350 has been holding out. I didn't see the write up on his Serpentine set-up. Did anybody else see it? Wonder why that is. *hint, hint*:biggrin:

I have the Export/MC setup as well. I noticed a little more stiffness, but for me, a larger sway bar gave me the biggest *seat of the pants* feel. I noticed a lot more stiffness with this combined with the Shelby Drop. Yeah....it's pretty much on rails...well.....with a little bump steer here there.:whistling:

Now if you have the stock springs and shocks, you may want to take a look at that as well.