Sign in to follow this  
jm_obrien

Seat reccomendation PLEASE

Hey guys! I just took delivery of a 69 Sportsroof, 351W, FMX tranny, 9", etc etc. As some of you know the stock seats are not that great and as this is going to be driven I need some comfortable seats. This will be a restomod once finished so I'm looking for a reclining seat such as the ones offered from Cobra, Corbeau, Recaro, etc. The cheaper the better but I know how that goes too. Pics are appreciated. Thanks in advance and I'm glad to be here.

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

Jon

Hey guys! I just took delivery of a 69 Sportsroof, 351W, FMX tranny, 9", etc etc. As some of you know the stock seats are not that great and as this is going to be driven I need some comfortable seats. This will be a restomod once finished so I'm looking for a reclining seat such as the ones offered from Cobra, Corbeau, Recaro, etc. The cheaper the better but I know how that goes too. Pics are appreciated. Thanks in advance and I'm glad to be here.

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

Jon

From everything I gathered, Fiero Seats are a GREAT way to go. Very comfortable, recline etc. They also are very low to the ground which helps a lot with the mustang, though from what I have read, I would still recommend cutting the seat pan.

Look at mrmikes.com, they make custom upholstery for the seats, so you can make the seat look exactly how you want.

There a bunch of other options as well, but I figured since this is the one I want to do, its what I would share =).

From everything I gathered, Fiero Seats are a GREAT way to go. Very comfortable, recline etc. They also are very low to the ground which helps a lot with the mustang, though from what I have read, I would still recommend cutting the seat pan.

Look at mrmikes.com, they make custom upholstery for the seats, so you can make the seat look exactly how you want.

There a bunch of other options as well, but I figured since this is the one I want to do, its what I would share =).

You should think about 99 and up Mustang seats, usually can get them for a good price. Most use the the rails out of your stock mustang, you have to drill a couple of holes in the seat to attach the rails from your old seats, no real need to lower your floor pans from what I haver heard unless your over 6' tall. I am getting ready to put some 03 Mach 1 seats that I picked up in mine. Also look at the 01 Bullitt seats or the 03/04 Cobra seats.

You should think about 99 and up Mustang seats, usually can get them for a good price. Most use the the rails out of your stock mustang, you have to drill a couple of holes in the seat to attach the rails from your old seats, no real need to lower your floor pans from what I haver heard unless your over 6' tall. I am getting ready to put some 03 Mach 1 seats that I picked up in mine. Also look at the 01 Bullitt seats or the 03/04 Cobra seats.

i have been researching this same subject as i want to drive my car at the least one day a week. seems on the pro-touring sites that most use the procar or rally series by scat. i have yet to sit in one so i cant recommend 100%.

i have been researching this same subject as i want to drive my car at the least one day a week. seems on the pro-touring sites that most use the procar or rally series by scat. i have yet to sit in one so i cant recommend 100%.

Thanks for the replies. I am 6'2" so the height is actually the main reason I'm looking into seats now, I'd like to be at least as low as the stock seats are currently. With the reclining seat I think it would be ok. What do you think of the Procar Sportsman's??

Jon

Thanks for the replies. I am 6'2" so the height is actually the main reason I'm looking into seats now, I'd like to be at least as low as the stock seats are currently. With the reclining seat I think it would be ok. What do you think of the Procar Sportsman's??

Jon

+1 on the fiero conversion but everyone knew I would say that. Do a search here for "Fiero" and you will get tons of info on the subject. They are adjustable, cheap, fit perfect, customizable and can lower your overall seat height by over an inch with no modifications to sheet metal what so ever. I'm not saying there aren't better or even more comfortable options but not much hits all those criteria in one seat.

+1 on the fiero conversion but everyone knew I would say that. Do a search here for "Fiero" and you will get tons of info on the subject. They are adjustable, cheap, fit perfect, customizable and can lower your overall seat height by over an inch with no modifications to sheet metal what so ever. I'm not saying there aren't better or even more comfortable options but not much hits all those criteria in one seat.

I'm not quite 6'2" but I am going with seats from a 99 Mustang. I used the stock tracks and extended them 3 inches so I could drill a hole to mount to the new seats. I'll recover them with new leather when the time comes to choose my interior color. But I could not pass up the pair for $100.00

I'm not quite 6'2" but I am going with seats from a 99 Mustang. I used the stock tracks and extended them 3 inches so I could drill a hole to mount to the new seats. I'll recover them with new leather when the time comes to choose my interior color. But I could not pass up the pair for $100.00

i had 86 mustang GT buckets in mine forever and took them out when i decided to sell the car, they'll go back in my 69 cougar. i like them better than most other seats, even the fiero seats because the only modifcation you have to make is to drill 2 new holes in the seat frame and the stock 69 seat track will bolt right up, not so with the Fiero seats and they sit lower than the 94-up seats do, about the same as stock but slightly lower, maybe 1/2-1" or so. there is also tons of choices when it comes to upholstery as well and TMI has a few options for different upholstery. the only thing is that the 83-86 GT seats have the halo headrests and the 87-up seats have a normal headrest in either tall from 88-91 coupes and hatchbacks or short 92-93 and most verts from 89-up. i'll eventually swap to the short style headrest in mine and use the TMI fox body Mach 1 upholstery with a houdstooth insert instead of the stock vinyl or leather instert. there is a pic of those seats in my stang in my gallery but with dyed stock upholstery and still has the halos headrests.

i had 86 mustang GT buckets in mine forever and took them out when i decided to sell the car, they'll go back in my 69 cougar. i like them better than most other seats, even the fiero seats because the only modifcation you have to make is to drill 2 new holes in the seat frame and the stock 69 seat track will bolt right up, not so with the Fiero seats and they sit lower than the 94-up seats do, about the same as stock but slightly lower, maybe 1/2-1" or so. there is also tons of choices when it comes to upholstery as well and TMI has a few options for different upholstery. the only thing is that the 83-86 GT seats have the halo headrests and the 87-up seats have a normal headrest in either tall from 88-91 coupes and hatchbacks or short 92-93 and most verts from 89-up. i'll eventually swap to the short style headrest in mine and use the TMI fox body Mach 1 upholstery with a houdstooth insert instead of the stock vinyl or leather instert. there is a pic of those seats in my stang in my gallery but with dyed stock upholstery and still has the halos headrests.

I went with BMW M5 seats due to their low profile and the fact they are 6 way power also. I am trying to figure out how to rob my current rails and mount them on the M5's or is I should just make a fitting for the rear mount which is longer than the seat pan area. They look sweet in there even if I have no other interior done yet.

They are great work benches while I wire up the old girl. I just have to keep the screwdrivers out of my rear pockets......

I got them for $300 for the pair on local Craigslist ad. I stole them from what I have seen.:clover:

Fly Boy