Sign in to follow this  
dans70mach1

headers, short, long, big tube???

Well I have been looking on line for a few days now trying to decide on headers. I want 1 3/4 inch long tubes but am having a hard time finding some that are reasonably priced...So I was wondering what everyone things would work better...Current parts list for the engine is Roush 200 heads, Vic JR intake (or Super Vic), comp cam XE294H-10 (2800-7000 rpm range 250/256 duration .554/.558 lift, 10.5-1 flat top pistons w/ 2 reliefs.

now what I was thinking was since I couldnt find long tubes for less than $500 is run 1 5/8 short right into 2.5 inch pipe and step the pipe size up from there as it gets under the car... Or is it just better to run the long tubes...

Thanks

302 / 351 W will use the same header bolt pattern. Your Roush heads MAY need something special. I'm not sure but you should triple check before ordering.

Long tubes aid in low end tourque, and the bigger diameter tubes work against that somewhat to help high end HP.

What is your application for the engine? a street rod? Drag racer? Sunday cruiser?

If you reall want to choose a header for best performance for your application, you really need to have an honest answer to what exactly you want out of the engine and vehicle.

1-3/4 long tubes are for this application: An engine with higher RPM internals that needs a little help with the ooomph in the lower RPMs. That description seems to fit your engine, provided you arent backing it with 4.86 gears or something.

You are going to be hard pressed to find something for under $500 with 1 3/4" tubes. Check out Ford Powertrain Application. http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers1.htm It is hard to find a better header for the money and they have several with 1 3/4" tubes to choose from depending on what pattern your heads are. They start at $550 uncoated. Hooker Super Comps should be around $500 as well. Check out summit racing's website.

I will have 4:11 gears in the rear, and 3000-3500 stall speed...( love how they givee a range) looking for more top end performance to match the rpm range of the cam and intake short runner design... My other concern was clearance.. It always looks like headers are hanging down with long tubes when looking at pictures depending on the angle. So thats where The mid length and short tubes come in play... It will be a straight line car with weekend driving and driven to the track.

I read on the Modern Driveline site that if you are going to use their T-5 conversion you need to have shorty headers. Anyone run into this?

I have a t5 conversion with longtubes and it's not a problem. I am using the factory Z-bar though. I believe issues arise using the longtubes with a cable clutch.

Also, maybe I'm mistaken, but I always thought longtubes took away from low end torque and aided in top end power. That's why people with fox body mustangs run longtubes once they get into higher rpm/horsepower ranges.

Shorties can make great power though, I made 560rwhp with shorties and a 2.5" exhaust with a supercharged 306 years ago! So don't think longtubes are the only way.

I have a t5 conversion with longtubes and it's not a problem. I am using the factory Z-bar though.

Jayru,

Which long-tubes are you running? I am still making my plan like we discussed in the other thread.:tongue_smilie:

I have a t5 conversion with longtubes and it's not a problem. I am using the factory Z-bar though.

Jayru,

Which long-tubes are you running? I am still making my plan like we discussed in the other thread.:tongue_smilie:

i hvent purchased any headers yet, but I have decided to run long tubes and go with 1 5/8" i have a friend that runs that same size and full length on a 408 and he runs 9.80's so i dont think it will be the restrictive point.

so now thats settled i am going with some 1 5/8' long tubes

i hvent purchased any headers yet, but I have decided to run long tubes and go with 1 5/8" i have a friend that runs that same size and full length on a 408 and he runs 9.80's so i dont think it will be the restrictive point.

so now thats settled i am going with some 1 5/8' long tubes

I read on the Modern Driveline site that if you are going to use their T-5 conversion you need to have shorty headers. Anyone run into this?

Yep. It's a hit or miss with some long tubes and a cable. I had to wrap my cable with heat shield, but it has worked fine for the last 2 years and over 5000 miles with my long tubes. Some tho just won't fit because the cable runs so close to the tubes that it melts. I have no idea what brand headers I have. No numbers or name on them anywhere. They are 1 5/8 and are ceramic coated.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Yep. It's a hit or miss with some long tubes and a cable. I had to wrap my cable with heat shield, but it has worked fine for the last 2 years and over 5000 miles with my long tubes. Some tho just won't fit because the cable runs so close to the tubes that it melts. I have no idea what brand headers I have. No numbers or name on them anywhere. They are 1 5/8 and are ceramic coated.

Edited by SlimeGold 69