Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

need to relocate the ignition coill

was wondering if any one can post up pictures of their engine bay on where you guys put your ignition coil, i was going to mount it on the original spot but since i upgrade to an edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold i'm having a tough time on relocating the ignition coil. thanks n advance

Mine was on the intake also and I had to move it when I installed the RPM. I moved it to the drivers side head. Works out pretty good. Keeps it close to the dist and makes a neat,clean look. The picture is not that great but you might make it out.

It's hard to tell from your pic, but there might be enough room to put it on the passenger side head even with the alternator up high like that.

This is mine in the factory location for power steering and air (302 and 351W)

2387156_43_full.jpg

Edited by 69gmachine
found a better picture

I would use the Ford Duraspark Dizzy before I used any HEI setup.The Duraspark looks like the point dizzys with just two extra wires.I mounted the control module for the Duraspark on the drivers front fender apron and it works great and its easy to install.

In that case I think I would make some kind of bracket and mount it on your upper power steering bolt(the one with the spacer)like between the spacer and the pump maybe.

that is what i was thinking of doing. Im prolly going to be looking around to see if i can make one or modified the bracket i have now.

BTW why do you want to get rid of the Duraspark?
at first i was getting fed up with relocating the coil and i was going to go with an HEI conversion so i wouldn't have to worry about anything else, but since i bought a new air filter case, i know the HEI is way bigger than the Distributor i have now and will prolly cause some clearance issues.

but before i was having a few problems with the old motor, the motor would sound like it died because i would lose power, then a misfire would occur this is during cruising or freeway driving so i thought it could be causing the problem aswell. again i was thinking it was the alternator as well (65 amp) and i installed a cd deck and now an electrical fan which im going to get a 100amp but couldn't figure why my car would misfire though everything seemed fine when i checked it out.

How do you have the duraspark box wired up? Do you have a full 12 volts on the power lead going to the box? I would work out the bugs with the Duraspark or even run a petronix in a points dist before switching to a HEI. I think Denny is right on mounting the coil. That looks like your only option if you want to keep the coil on the engine.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

For both simplicity and reliability, I don't think there is anything out there that has the track record of the Duraspark II ignition. My car starts like an efi car with just a couple of pumps on the pedal. Parts are available all across the country although I seriously doubt you will ever need to replace anything but the cap and rotor. I had mine set up by Ignitioneering with a full length bronze bushing. Although the housing is an original C9 casting, it will be as reliable and accurate as any billet aftermarket dizzy with the long bushing. It was able to support over 530 HP. It's hard to ask for more.

I would mount the coil where DennyB suggested behind the spacer on the driver side head using the stock style coil bracket.