Sign in to follow this  
Wolfsburg

Exhaust recommendations?

I have a 302 with a 4 barrel Edelbrock, exhaust is Patriot ceramic coated shelby tri-y's into flowmasters. A wonderful deep purring sound on the highway at 60 to 70, great low rumble at idle, and my kids say they can hear me blocks away when I get all over the gas. I would recommend the shop form the pipes so they are nicely tucked and well secured. It does cost more so it just depends on how particular you want to be. Does your valance have the cutouts for dual exhaust? If not, you may need chrome turn downs on the ends of the pipes. I did this anyway so as to keep the valance clean.

I just paid $300 for a shop to put 2 1/2" exaust on my car and they even used magnaflow mufflers and ran it from the headers to the rear valance.It looks supersweet and it sounds great.It took them about 2.5 hrs to make the whole system.I would say that I got the dal of the day for sure.

I just paid $300 for a shop to put 2 1/2" exaust on my car and they even used magnaflow mufflers and ran it from the headers to the rear valance.It looks supersweet and it sounds great.It took them about 2.5 hrs to make the whole system.I would say that I got the dal of the day for sure.

Is it a full stainless system still? That was a big factor in my buying the whole Magnaflow kit and not just the muffler, it's the last one I'll ever need.

is this a ongoing discount? would like to order but need to prioritize the cash flow....:whistling:

Good question. Here's the original thread with links from 3 years ago when buening did the homework. http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1008 I would just do a google for "magnaflow 15816" since that is the kit number you'll want and see what else you come up with. There could be an even better buy out there somewhere. I paid like $400 then too, looks like current MSRP is almost $650 though these days but I'm sure with some effort a deal can still be had. They won't legally let dealers advertise below a certain price point but many of them get around that with a special "make us an offer" at checkout.

Just thought I would let you guys know, if you're wanting Magnaflow, this is the best price I've found on it.

http://www.hottexhaust.com

Find the kit, then put it in your shopping cart.

Use the coupon code 'veedub' and you'll get a big discount (the order has to be over $500 for it to work). From what I'm seeing the 2.5" catback is $497.35, so you'll need to order something else to get it over $500. I put a $27 exhaust tip on it, then recalculated. The Total for items purchased was $524.75, a -$136.44 discount was applied, for a total of $388.32 shipped for the catback and tip together.

Thought I would let everyone know about it.

Just ordered mine from the above yesterday, $421 shipped including two 18" long 2.5" to 3" tips. They called to confirm shipping address, and I got an e-mail last night that it had shipped out. Email included tracking number.

Edited by Chappy

Here's an update on my exhaust system. I bought various straight and mandrel bends off of ebay (all 304 stainless not 409) and built my own system using the bypass mufflers. Here is a pic of the outlet side of the bypass muffler, you can see the spring operated bypass valve. Also added some pics of the finished system. Made my own X-pipe. These will fit my FPA headers. The car is still under construction so I can't comment on its sound, sorry.

p11800061.jpg

p1180003.jpg

p1180004.jpg

p1180005.jpg

My mufflers are SS but the rest of the pipes are the alum/steel.I have no doubt that this system will last for years as the car will mainly be driven on the weekends only 3000 miles a year at the very most.I guess all the matters is that I feel like I got a deal and my whole exaust system installed and welded up not clamped together.

Cruzzar, that is some beautiful handi-work! I wish I had those skills. I'm satisfied with my Magnaflow system, although it did need some tweaking to get it to line up with my Accufab headers and to tuck up tightly. The polished SS mufflers can easily be seen from behind despite the fact that my car is lowered over 1.5 inches in the rear, and they look sweet. When we have a nice sunny day I'll get some pics of the modified OEM style tips I made. They don't show up very well without good lighting.

I purchased all of my 2.5" 304 stainless tubing from e-bay (304 will polish better then 409). All of the straight and the combination straight and curved sections (UJ tubes) came to about $240. The stainless turbo flanges (to attach the muffler to the rear pipes) were also e-bay, $50 for the pair. The stainless exhaust tips I got at a swap meet for $60 (megs). The muffler hangers are a combination of stock Mustang dual muffler hanger and a stainless strap and the rear pipe hangers are from the wrecking yard all for about $20. The Ford stainless dual mode mufflers were $280 for the pair (ouch). I did a quick polish on the pipes with my cheap buffer/polisher before I welded them together. I built my own system because I wanted to tuck them up under the car, choose how close to fit then around the suspension and because I am running air rides, the rear pipes must go under the rear end and no one makes rear pipes to fit. The total cost without the mufflers is $370 and with the mufflers $650. I included some additinal pics.

p2280014.jpg

p2280012.jpg

p2030013.jpg

Edited by Cruzzar

Just ordered mine from the above yesterday, $421 shipped including two 18" long 2.5" to 3" tips. They called to confirm shipping address, and I got an e-mail last night that it had shipped out. Email included tracking number.

I'm curious, I went to check out that link and found that they also had a "make an offer" button and when you click it you see this:

Make an Offer ($299.95+)

I wonder if it could have been an even better deal this way than with the veedub discount?

I have the magnaflow 2.5" x crossover SS system sitting ready to install on my 351W, Does anyone have a sketch/drawing/measurements of the drivers side original mounting position. My car still has the original factory single pipe system. This thread has inspired me to move along and get this system installed.