Sign in to follow this  
Juice It

converting non tach to tach

Anyone done this? I understand besides the new cluster you need to change the front under dash wiring. Is this it or is there even more to it than this? How hard is it to hook up an aftermarket tach in a non tach car?

Thanks,

Personally I think owning a non original tach car is a perfect candidate to go with a hood mounted tach. Aside form drilling a few holes in the hood it's as easy to hook up as an aftermarket steering wheel tach, I think it's like just 4 wires, power, ground, coil and dash lighting.

I second Pakrat. You can pick up a hood mounted tack for a late 60,s early 70's gm car off of ebay or year one etc... from 190.00 to 250.00. I am also considering this option that way I dont clutter up the dash. IMO, I cant stand the tachs mounted to the steering column, unless you are going to be drag racing and need the shift light.

The hood tachs have Buick , Pontiac , or GM on them but can be disassymbled and painted over. NOTHING looks more aggressive than a shaker hood and tach setting next to it.

69_scj_Mustanghoodtach.jpg

1970_Mach_1_Shaker_and_Tach.sized.jpg

Edited by opie_803

FYI Opie, Scott Drake now makes an updated reproduction of the original style hood tach as well, that's what I went with. The gauge style is a little different but you can get it with either a black or white face. I added the little ford sticker myself for the finishinng touch. I've been thinking of painting the knob aluminum as well.

hood_tach_001.sized.jpg

Edited by Pakrat

Well I got a special deal on mine for $245 (there's actually a whole thread on it in here somewhere). Are you sure about the year one though? Is it new? Ebay I would think is used and that I can see but no guarantee it works either or if it does then for how long and repairing one is a lot more than that price difference. If you have links I'd love to see for myself.

Interesting, it would appear in general the price for used or vintage new has gone down a bit in the last year, prior to the new repro part you couldn't touch an old hood tach for under $300, that is what set the market price of the new ones to begin with. Still, ebay isn't over until the last day and I would suspect some of those seemingly budget priced ones to shoot up with some bidding wars. Many of the ones listed do not specificy working condition either. I didn't see one at year one for under $300 but the opgi ones seem suspiciously lower than average to me for a new correct part. I'll be curious to see which way you go and your thoughts about it after. On a lot of them I don't think it will be a simple decal removal like you are thinking, internal logos are pretty much screened onto the face directly.

I second Pakrat. You can pick up a hood mounted tack for a late 60,s early 70's gm car off of ebay or year one etc... from 190.00 to 250.00. I am also considering this option that way I dont clutter up the dash. IMO, I cant stand the tachs mounted to the steering column, unless you are going to be drag racing and need the shift light.

The hood tachs have Buick , Pontiac , or GM on them but can be disassymbled and painted over. NOTHING looks more aggressive than a shaker hood and tach setting next to it.

69_scj_Mustanghoodtach.jpg

1970_Mach_1_Shaker_and_Tach.sized.jpg

This is how my tach finished up after I cleaned it and screened on the Ford logo.

ParkPics022.jpg

That looks great. Is it a repro? Where did you buy it?

Thanks

JBauer4363

I bought it on Ebay about 5 years ago before the prices of them went though the roof.

It is in like new shape and is an original one, not a Taiwaneese copy like most.

I have another one the same in perfect condition that I keep for a spare.

John

John, Not to change the subject but was that your car in Mustang Monthly? I think they did an article on some car show up North and your car made it into a few photo's, one with a caption about your car.

Yes, it is my car.

Taken at the MCA No Borders show here in Oakville Ontario.

Show was at the Oakville Ford plant where I live.

Mustang Monthly took the pic's and interviewed me.

I am pretty stoaked about it.

15 years of restoration done by myself got a bit of recognition.

Cheers

John

Where did you buy it?

Thanks

JBauer4363

I got it from www.mustangfactory.net when it first came out I did a google search looking for the best price and came across them. Turns out he had typo'd the price on his page and didn't notice until I contacted him but he honored it none the less and as a result earned some extra business from me. His customer service is outstanding and he offers free shipping on orders over $75 yet still has some of the lowest prices out there. I have been wanting to order a humphugger from him actually but the site seems to be under construction. Everyone sells it for over $100 these days but his price is still $85, with free shipping that is hard ot beat.

EDIT: I did some digging and found the original thread with my research and links: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1476

Edited by Pakrat