Sign in to follow this  
PaleRider

Shaker with crate engine can it be done?

Currently building a boss 70 tribute (clone sounds negative). Plan on dropping new motor in it. Either Keith Kraft or Smedding. But in any case would like to put shaker set up on it instead of the current mach 1 scoop. Be interested in hearing others experiences with repro shakers and diffent crate motors - thx.

It can be done... The intake height is the big question mark. I originally wanted to go with a taller intake but could not get my shaker to fit. So I gave up around 30HP and went with another intake (Torker II). Even so, my shaker sits higher than it should.

Another thing to investigate is adjustable motor mounts. I've read where the can adjust up to 1" in height and 2" in lateral movement. An inch lower would be perfect for me.... I just need to get off my lazy butt and look into it further.

As far as repo shakers go there are two routes - Leon up in New York and an Aussie company. I like the Aussie ones better because they are metal. Leon does fiberglass. The Aussies also offer about 3 different heights.

I'm away from my other PC so I don't have the links. I'll see if I can find them - or someone else can chime in. It has been discussed before so do a search for shakers....

Currently building a boss 70 tribute (clone sounds negative). Plan on dropping new motor in it. Either Keith Kraft or Smedding. But in any case would like to put shaker set up on it instead of the current mach 1 scoop. Be interested in hearing others experiences with repro shakers and diffent crate motors - thx.

What engine are you thinking about using ? The crate Boss 302? I was looking at that for my 69 Vert. A Boss 302 vert would be a very cool ride.

Here's the LINK if your looking....

Edited by flight96

What engine are you thinking about using ? The crate Boss 302? I was looking at that for my 69 Vert. A Boss 302 vert would be a very cool ride.

Here's the LINK if your looking....

Edited by flight96

i have the same issue. although i have a 351W with a victor jr. i started making the mod and had to get the car up on the rotisserie before completion. i thought maybe the 429 example would work, but it won't. i have the base cut (428) and the carb hole temporarily relocated in approximately the correct location. the shaker base almost completely covers the carburetor, so i'm going to notch the backside of the base for the throttle linkage. i'm going to have to cut the shaker midplate (under the scoop), and allow a smaller diameter lid and filter to extend thru the midplate up into the scoop (thus no vacuum unit). i'm hoping to get back to that project in the next few months. i have a few photos if interested.

i have the same issue. although i have a 351W with a victor jr. i started making the mod and had to get the car up on the rotisserie before completion. i thought maybe the 429 example would work, but it won't. i have the base cut (428) and the carb hole temporarily relocated in approximately the correct location. the shaker base almost completely covers the carburetor, so i'm going to notch the backside of the base for the throttle linkage. i'm going to have to cut the shaker midplate (under the scoop), and allow a smaller diameter lid and filter to extend thru the midplate up into the scoop (thus no vacuum unit). i'm hoping to get back to that project in the next few months. i have a few photos if interested.

sure post what you've got so far, i'm sure there are quite a few people interested to see one of our own members do this mod.

I don't want really change the topic of this thread :scared:, but...

Someone did take what looked like a ball peen hammer to the towers on both sides. I used some heat with some hammer/dolly work to get them nice and flat again They didn't have any holes. I made the wrap arounds (similar to the 428 and boss 302 cars) for some strength. I have photos of the shock towers before doing this at the same website. The towers are in excellent condition.

I didn't want to pay the sick amount of money for the aftermarket kit. Plus I thought the kit would look terrible.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/buckeyedemon/69%20Mustang%20Mach%201/shock%20towers/