Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

I didn't have to replace the complete rail. Only the side and top lip were rusted. I had a piece made up out of 12 gauge steel. I then cut out the rusted areas and welded the new piece in. The rest of the rail is in great shape. It was just rusted where the last person put some sort of spray foam in to hold the floorboard in place. :scared:

Tonight I etch primed the bottom of the floor pan and did the final dry fit. I have about a quarter of it welded in now but I ran out of wire for the welder....Time for a beer....:tongue:

Well it's been a while since I've updated this thread. We have been busy...Christmas...snow...New Years....It's nice to get back to normal and get back to the car..

The floor pans are finally finished and undercoated. I found a good set of heads for the engine build and have torn the engine down and it is now in the hands of the machine shop. Pistons,intake manifold and gaskets are on order. Some parts are 2 to 4 weeks away. That's fine as I am no where near ready for the engine !!

My next project will be the front suspension. The kit from Laurel Mountain Mustang arrived last week and it looks good. If anyone has any pointers on re and reing the suspension I would love to hear it !!!:helpsmilie:.... I am also looking at replacing the steering box, control valve and ram. It looks like a fairly easy thing to do.

Anyway, here are a few pics if anyone is interested...

PS....Happy New Year !!!!

Thanks Grabber70Mach..Great info....

Well the floor pans are all done and I have started to take out the front steering /suspension. I ordered the Randalls Rack R&P steering today. I was going to just do an OEM steering re-build but the more I looked at the cost and the benefits it just made more sense to go the extra for the better steering.

Progress on the engine build. The Boss head gaskets finally showed up along with the manifold gaskets. I'm still waiting for the pistons and intake....:whistling:

dealing with 40 year old wiring harnesses sucks. When I saw the condition of the wiring of my car when tearing it down, I decided to just man up and do a full rewire. I ended up just getting an EZ wire 18 circuit harness. Haven't gotten to the point to install it yet, so I can't attest to the ease of installation but new wire in an old car is a no-brainer to me.

Well I have the left side frame rail and inner shock tower done and painted with some rust paint. All the suspension is off the left side. Tonight I will start to put the control arms and spindle/rotor back on. The bolt that holds the lower control arm is trashed. Problem is it looks to be a special assembly. I may have to bring out the old tap and die set. I doubt I will be able to find these anywhere.

I have also drilled the holes for the 1" UCA drop (aka the Shelby drop). Once all the suspension is back on the frame rails I will give it a healthy coat of rubberized undercoat.

Question for ya..When you were welding your floors, what did you do to maintain the openings for the doors. Did yo keep the doors in place, or did you weld bars in the door openeings to stablize the car while the new floors were going in. Do you have any pics..

Bill from Ottawa

Hey Bill,

Sorry for the late reply, I was busy on the weekend. Didn't get much done on the car but I did get some golfing in !!:tongue_smilie: As for the floor/door issue, I didn't cut out the whole floor all at once. I did one side, start to finish, then did the other. I did take measurements of the door openings to be sure they didn't change. The convertibles have extra support in both the stronger rockers and the braces under the seats. So if your not cutting the whole floor (Including trans tunnel) out at one shot it should not be an issue.

Good Luck....

Ken...In SUNNY Victoria :biggrin:

That makes sense. When I got my car from Calgary, it was in the midst of a restroation, and only one side of the floor is out and the other is still solid. I was wondering how to tackle this part, but that makes it sound easier. I was under the impression that I should get my doors done next, either reskinned or replaced, so that I can aligne them properly to ensure that all the spaces are good before tackling the floors. What did you do with your doors?

Bill

I have not yet started on the doors. I am now working on the engine bay. I was hoping to get the engine bay all cleaned up,get the new inner fenders welded in, and paint it all before the new R&P arrives.

After all that is done the doors will be next. I have taken a grinder to a few spots on both doors to see what they are like and it looks like they are full of bondo about 1/2 an inch thick !! So I will probably re-skin them. When the skins are off I can then deal with the window regulators. Hopefully I don't have to replace them, just clean them up and give them a good lube.

I just got a call from Summit racing saying that my pistons are at least another 6-8 weeks away !!!:censored:. That's gonna throw a real screw into my engine build. The Boss 351 maniflod showed up on the weekend, so all I'm waiting for now are the pistons !!! The machine shop is gonna be pissed when I tell them this....Man if it aint one thing it's another with these things !! As soon as ya figure things are going along well ...BANG... Something goes wrong !!:scared:

It's Christmas in January !!! Parts arrivals !!:biggrin:

My Randalls rack showed up today !!! And I have the Boss 351 Intake manifold from Edelbrock !!

The passenger side suspension is now complete.

I have started on the engine bay, cleaning up and sanding the firewall. I have sandblasted the horns, hood latch and shock outer pieces.

Since I have to do some mods on the steering column for the R&P I decided to take it out. The instructions that come with the R&P seem good, I am, however, having a bit of a hard time figuring out what exactly they want me to do to the column. Do I have to remove the steering shaft??