Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

Well I have the drivers side toe board in. I had to fabricate it myself, but it worked out pretty good. The floor pan fits in well with it. I have dry fitted the floor and after a few alterations, I am happy with the fit. Hopefully I will have it welded tomorrow night.

Its Grey Cup Sunday here in Canada, and I always get together with my father for the game. So no more work today !

Well, small progress, but progress none the less. The toe board is now completely welded in. I did the final modifications to the floor pan and did the final dry fit. I have drilled all the holes for the spot welding and I painted the frame rails with black frame paint.

Hopefully I will have the floor welded in tomorrow.

In your first photo in the pan that you have painted black, not sure what it is called, comparing it to my car, mine was removed. I have it still, but I was wondering why it would have been removed. I bought my car while it ws in the midst of a tear down and restoration. I would think that it should have been left in for the integrity of the strength of the car. The other side is still complete as they were doing one side before the other.

Oh by the way, I take paypal and money orders as well, go Calgary go....

Bill

Im not sure what its called either. Im just really glad it's in good solid shape !! I thought of removing it to sandblast it and clean it up but I though better of it. And I'm glad I did. I don't want to get the alignment out of whack and have a nightmare trying to line up fenders and doors.

I didn't get a chance to work on the floor last night, I had a hockey game and stayed a little late at the bar afterwards....:whistling:.....So hoefully tonight I will have it in place....

Those undercarriage parts are very important in a convertible, since Mustangs are unibody and don't have a frame. Without a roof, the verts lack a lot of structural integrity that the coupes and sportsroofs have. The torque boxes, seat pans, and skid plate (or whatever that slab of steel under the tranny/drive shaft is called) add a lot to structural integrity of the convertible.

Well I worked a few hours tonight and finally have the drivers side floor pan tack welded in. I had a little scare when the car caught fire but thankfully I had a fire extinguisher handy.:scared:... What happened was this. I thought it would be smart to put a bead of sealer where the floor pan and torque box meet up on the lower side. When I started to spot weld I guess the sealer caught fire. I didn't notice it right away as I had the welding helmet on. But I smelt something funny and took off the helmet and YIKES....There she was, in flames from underneath !! I had the fire extinguisher on the wall so it was an easy put out but I was a little rattled !!!

But the floor is in !! I'll finish the welding tomorrow night and etch prime/seal it. Then over to the passenger side.

Well today I finally finished the drivers side floor....I gotta tell ya...If anyone is reading this....That's a $hit load of welding !!!:whistling:

Tomorrow night I will spray some paint on the floor. Not for any other reason other to say that I have some paint on the car !!:tongue:...Actually, paint will not take up any moisture when dry. Primer may. So it's best to spray some paint over the primer.

Yea, welding in floor pans suck. Looks like they turned out nice. When I did my last set I looked like I just crawled out of a tanning bed. My arms and face where beet red from being burnt by the light. I cheated when tacking mine in by shutting my eyes befor each tack. Yea it's Dumb I know and I have burnt my eyes before a couple of times doing this and that really is no fun at all. But I did wear my welding helmet to finish welding them in. Firewall insulation is very flammable also. I found that out pretty quick.

Nice job on the floors. Thankfully with my Mustang, the guy who was doing the restoration before me, only took out one side of the flooring. Hopefully that it has not made the car too unstable.

When you put th enew floors in, did you have to weld the underside, or are you relying on the inside weld only, and then caulking the underside. If you do weld the underside, is the car on a rotisserie.

Bill

Actually I ran a bead of seam weld along the bottom. Its a 2 part product that some say is stronger than a weld. Myself, I don't believe it. A lot of guys are using it for door skins. That is why I had a fire. The seam weld is apparently flammable.

I did weld in spots under the floor as well. Along the back and all along the drivers side where the floor meets the rocker. Also I spot welded along the frame rails.Then I went around the whole floor, both top and bottom, with Sikaflex. I made sure that there was no way any water could get through.

The car is not on a rotisserie...I wish...So basically I was welding while laying on my back...Good times right there !!!:scared:

Tonight I finish welded a few areas on the firewall on the drivers side. When I took off the inner fenders there was a few holes on the firewall. I also closed up the gap between the torque box and the toe board and finished off all the little areas that needed a little attention. This weekend I will start on the passenger side...right from scratch...all over again.....Oh the humanity !!!

Edited by flight96

Well last night was a bad, bad night for car work. I have cut out the passenger side torque box and most of the floor. It was a tough go as the person that did the 'repairs' before did some weird stuff...That is where the sweating came in.

The tears part comes in when I had a look at the frame rail...Much worse than I had previously hoped....:scared: So now I am going to have to repair the rail....

And the blood....Well just as I was cutting my last cut of the night the Zip wheel exploded and implanted part of the wheel in my knee...Right through my coverall and my jeans and into my leg...:helpsmilie: ...

Blood, sweat and tears all in one night...I will post pics later, I really wasn't into taking pics last night after all that happened. Thank the Lord for whiskey...

Well I took the stitches out of my leg on Sunday and finally got some work done. I have most of the passenger side floor cut out, I have the inner rocker rust all cut out and have started repairing it. I also have the passenger torque box in as of tonight. Its not totally welded in but it is in. It took a lot of work and a whole bunch of swearing but it's finally in. The front frame rail is repaired and all seems very solid. I'm finally getting the hang of welding and it seems to be going a lot faster now. A few little tricks sure go a long way.

I ordered the suspension/steering package today from Laurel Mountain Mustang. Here's the Kit I ordered. I have never done any undercarriage work so if anyone has any tips please let me know. I plan to video the dismantle, hoping it will help me with the install.

Ah snow in lotus land, it looks good on ya, now you know how the rest of Canada feels.

At least you are progressing on your car, enjoy the snow while it lasts, Spring is just two month away for you..

Bill from Ottawa where Winter is 8 months long....

Hey !! It was minus 2 Today !!! And they say more snow for tomorrow !!! I moved away from Winterpeg to get away from this crap !!! I may actualy see a white Christmas for the first time in 20 years !!! What the hell !!!

Well I've had enough of this snow crap !! It's snowing AGAIN !!:mad:... And these damn drivers in Victoria have no clue on how to drive in this chit !!:censored:....

Oh well...It must be global warming....Maybe I'll put an electric motor in the Stang !!:scared:

OK...seriously...Only 2 pics today ...batteries died on me... I spent a few hours fabricating and repairing the frame rail on the passenger side. There was no need to replace the whole rail. For the most part it was really good. Just the area where the last person did the spay in foam was rusted. So I made a piece to replace the whole side and top rail part that the floor sits on. To keep it solid I ran it all the way to the seat pan re-enforced structure. It came out very strong. I am quite happy with it. Tomorrow I will start on the toe board and floor pans