Sign in to follow this  
JPZ

Deluxe Interior Question....

Can anyone tell me for certain what is correct for the deluxe interior on '69 convert. ?? Specifically the instrument panel/glove box area ?

I have no reason to believe my car is not all original, and it has the black instrument panel and smooth black (clock delete?) cove on glove box side. Also has black console and radio plate. It does have the correct upholstery w/ wood buttons, and wood panel door inserts, along with tilt-a-way, and rim-blow wheel.

I want to keep the appearance as original as possible. Is the black treatment correct for the car, or were the woodgrain pieces replaced ??

It is an early '69 production car (april '69).

Thanks- JPZ

I have woodgrain on my deluxe interior (verified, I got the Marti report 17 years ago) on doors and instrument bezel and the surface where the clock would normally reside. But, much to my disappointment, no clock.

I have dreams where a busty German beer maiden shows up with a frosty one and a tach dash with clock. And then I wake up. :biggrin:

Marti report verifies the car as a deluxe interior car. The guy I bought it from is the son of the original owner- he said it was never messed with. From what I can tell, the Mach1 and Grande had the wood dash inserts for sure w/deluxe int., but I'm not sure on the 'vert.

Thanks for the responses though. I will keep searching.

JPZ

Deluxe should absolutely have wood, at least I feel 99% certain. I suppose it would not be impossible for someone to order the black dash but then I would think that would be reflected in your Marti Report somewhere. I suppose it also would not have been impossible for the dealer to pull a switch at some point on the lot to satisfy another customer but that's alot of work for a sale. The owners son could also mis-remember or not been aware of it at some point.

You can always tell Kevin Marti you were hoping to have this clarified in the report and ask if he has ever come across soemthing like this, he's pretty helpful with the info.

Well, the important thing to remember in these cases is that unless you are the original owner or know the original owner and know for a fact that what they say is accurate that anything can, has, and will have happened to these cars in over 40 years.

There were two different interior decor groups available, if I'm not mistaken. One came with the woodgrain on the dash and the other did not. Both did come with the deluxe door panels. I'll have to check my Mustang Recognition Guide book.

Standard interior = well, standard.

Interior decor = comfort weave seats, deluxe door panels, 3-spoke wheel, remote driver's side mirror, standard black camera dash

Deluxe interior = Same as decor group but with the woodgrain dash.

The deluxe interior was not available in the vert, so what you guys have is the Decor group, which would be correct for a convertible.

Other options, such as the visibility group, clock, or console could tweak the exact setup, of course.

Checking my Mustang Recognition Guide, on page 144 it states the Deluxe Group was only available on "sportsroofs and convertibles". On page 145 it says "sportsroofs and hardtops only". So take my comment with appropriate amounts of salt.

I have to find my Marti, it's probably 17 years old now, but I have had the car for 18 years now, and it was a 76B Deluxe convertible and the woodgrain in the dash and the door inserts has all the signs of being original. Only 1,600 or so deluxe convertibles made in '70. I think mine was intended to be a cruiser - originally Light Ivy Yellow (very hard to find a pic of that), ginger interior, 302, C-4. Maybe originally a girl's car or a pimp ride? :rolleyes:

Seems really silly to me to have just the wood on the doors, especially when the dash is what you spend the bulk of your time looking at.

i agree but i'm not the genius at ford who made this option either, just the messenger 40 years later....LOL

i feel the same way about the 69 cougar interior options, there were 3. standard interior with pleated vinyl seats and plain looking door panels, Decor interior with comfortweave seats and the nicest of the three door panels (IMO) with a nice pattern and a woodgrain strip across the top, and finally the XR7 interior with pleated leather seats and matching pleated (vinyl) door panels. however, my main problem with the cougar door panels was the total lack of any of them being a molded style panel like what the 69/70 deluxe mustangs had. all the cougar panels used bolt on armrests like the standard mustang panels. you would think that mercury's upscale luxury pony car would have at least one molded door panel for 69/70 but not so. they had molded panels in 71-up cars and i believe there was a molded panel for one of the special 68 cougars but none for 69/70.

also the cougars used 2 different types of woodgrain; cherry grain for standard and decor interiors and burled walnut grain for XR7 cars but the standard cars only recieved woodgrain trim on the 2 dash panels and none on the radio bezel, console or door panels. the decor interior cars recieved the cherry grain on the dash panels, radio bezel, console, door panels and rear interior panels and the XR7 limited the burled walnut to the 2 dash panels, radio bezel and console with no woodgrain trim on the door panels or rear interior panels.

so if you think the dash panels for the mustang interiors is confusing or seem out of place for the interior decor cars try learning all this stuff for the cougars, oh yeah the cougar interior panels are also different between 69 and 70 too, every single one of them changed in 70. the biggest difference was the decor interior cars no longer had the woodgrain rear interior panels only the front doors did and it was a tiny little section about inches square.

now you can see why i want to build my own custom molded panels for the cougar using the 69/70 deluxe door panel backer boards as the basis for them. i want to add one more confusing option to the list....HAHAHA :biggrin:, if i can pull it off they will look so factory correct that most people will wonder why they've never seen this option before and i'll be answering a bunch of "where did you find those" questions. hell maybe i can go into business and start selling them :shifty:

Thanks for all the input- I agree with you Pak, seems kinda funny to have woodgrain door inserts and black dash, but that is how it came, so I'm gonna leave it that way- I want to keep the original look as much as poss. I will warm up the 351w and prob. do the AOD swap ( just put all the other stuff away in storage )

Thanks again for everyone's input. Digi. camera just died, so pics will have to wait !

JPZ

The Boss 302 is an odd one also, interior decor group. Low back deluxe seats, black gauges,delux doors, rim blow. It is a non fold down seat car. Interior code 5A. My 69 coupe I had in the 70's was the exact same options, except in white. I put the wood grain gauges in it back then from a wrecked mach. It was the light teak. I don't remember the code number. I always thought it was a strange option.