Sign in to follow this  
james the flame

blacking out the tailight panel

Ok everyone. I am getting nervouse and excited about my 69 mach 1 build. I am near complete wet sanding my final primer, getting ready for paint.I want to blackout the tailight panel to match the blackout hood. Have any of you done this on a 69?? Where did you tape off?? I think I need to paint the tail panel first before I paint the rest of the car. Hopefully I can tape a straight line. I need to find out once and for all what paint to use on my hood and tailight panel. Please, Any advise greatly appreciated. Also what order do I paint the color and the blackout on the hood and what is the proper procedure??? James

Ok everyone. I am getting nervouse and excited about my 69 mach 1 build. I am near complete wet sanding my final primer, getting ready for paint.I want to blackout the tailight panel to match the blackout hood. Have any of you done this on a 69?? Where did you tape off?? I think I need to paint the tail panel first before I paint the rest of the car. Hopefully I can tape a straight line. I need to find out once and for all what paint to use on my hood and tailight panel. Please, Any advise greatly appreciated. Also what order do I paint the color and the blackout on the hood and what is the proper procedure??? James

I have done the black out on one of my fastbacks. The color was mixed by my local paint shop. I think it was a Ditzer semi gloss black. The correct process is to paint the color of the car then the flat black over top after the paint drys, having truoble loading the picture. I'll try to fix it.

I have done the black out on one of my fastbacks. The color was mixed by my local paint shop. I think it was a Ditzer semi gloss black. The correct process is to paint the color of the car then the flat black over top after the paint drys, having truoble loading the picture. I'll try to fix it.

Thank you mufflerbearing. I looked at the photo by your name. My car was originally candyapple red also. Is there any clearcoat involved with your blackout?? I spoke to a ppg dealer today and he said he has paint codes for back in the 60's. He called it a single stage paint and could mix it. Would the original blackout be ok or does it fade or something?? Thanks, James Also should I use the stencile available and do you know anything about it??

Thank you mufflerbearing. I looked at the photo by your name. My car was originally candyapple red also. Is there any clearcoat involved with your blackout?? I spoke to a ppg dealer today and he said he has paint codes for back in the 60's. He called it a single stage paint and could mix it. Would the original blackout be ok or does it fade or something?? Thanks, James Also should I use the stencile available and do you know anything about it??

I don't reccomend using the original type of 60's blackout paint, it looks horrible if you get even a little car wax on it so it is pain to work around when detailing your car. There are many more modern options to choose from today for the same look without the maintenance issues. Here is a link to a thread I started way back when and there have been dozens of blackout conversations since this one as well. http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1325

It would seem one of the best modern options is Mercedes flat black, Sherwin Williams Ultra 1, U-12739. It won't water spot and you can get wax on it and wipe it off, it won't leave a white film. I haven't had the chance to do the blackout on my car yet but so far I am leaning towards this option. I also plan to follow the dimensions for taping out the area to be painted and I am going to widen the outside stripe but I'm not doing it myself either so maybe the template would be best for you if you are unsure about masking such a large area.

I don't reccomend using the original type of 60's blackout paint, it looks horrible if you get even a little car wax on it so it is pain to work around when detailing your car. There are many more modern options to choose from today for the same look without the maintenance issues. Here is a link to a thread I started way back when and there have been dozens of blackout conversations since this one as well. http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1325

It would seem one of the best modern options is Mercedes flat black, Sherwin Williams Ultra 1, U-12739. It won't water spot and you can get wax on it and wipe it off, it won't leave a white film. I haven't had the chance to do the blackout on my car yet but so far I am leaning towards this option. I also plan to follow the dimensions for taping out the area to be painted and I am going to widen the outside stripe but I'm not doing it myself either so maybe the template would be best for you if you are unsure about masking such a large area.

I plan on doing the same thing but I am taping mine off at this yellow line right at the crease so I have some body color below it framing the blackout in on all 4 sides.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3334&d=1216384617

Pak don't do it like that. i've seen cars done like that and they honestly make it look like someone was too lazy to take the bumper off and do it right, it just doesn't look good at all, like something isn't quite right. if you're going to blackout the tail panel do it the right way, please. just my honest opinion brutha.

I plan on doing the same thing but I am taping mine off at this yellow line right at the crease so I have some body color below it framing the blackout in on all 4 sides.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3334&d=1216384617

Pak don't do it like that. i've seen cars done like that and they honestly make it look like someone was too lazy to take the bumper off and do it right, it just doesn't look good at all, like something isn't quite right. if you're going to blackout the tail panel do it the right way, please. just my honest opinion brutha.

Hunh, that's funny, I felt just the opposite. When I see the whole panel painted it looks to me like someone was too lazy to mask it off regardless of wether that is right or not. I guess I'll have to test it both ways first before I decide for sure.

Hunh, that's funny, I felt just the opposite. When I see the whole panel painted it looks to me like someone was too lazy to mask it off regardless of wether that is right or not. I guess I'll have to test it both ways first before I decide for sure.