Sign in to follow this  
wine_dine_69

Trunk Weather Stripping

I just got some new weather stripping from NPD for the trunk of my 69 Mach 1. Currently there is no stipping at all on the trunk. This may be a dumb question, but does it go on the trunk lid or on the body? Also, there is a small side and a big side, which side goes down? If anyone has a picture of correctly installed weather stripping for the trunk, that would rock. Thanks in advance!

The gasket goes on the trunk lid and I believe the narrower side goes down. Put the seam in the center, right where the trunk latch is. In my opinion, the deck lid must be removed to perform this installation properly. Use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, apply it to the lid and the gasket and let it set for a bit to get tacky before installing it.

I am actually doing mine in a week or two and I have always noticed the seam is centered in the front near the latch but I have to wonder why? I have no doubt that is correct but why wouldn't you put the seam in the back so it isn't visable when the trunk is open?