Sign in to follow this  
Infinity

Cleaning help request

Is there a good method to clean the wire hubcaps? I am going to eventually upgrade, but for now, mine are really dirty and I practically sliced my finger off last time I tried to clean them!

Also, the underside of my hood is quite ugly. I wouldn't mind taking it off, sanding it, and painting it black, but in the mean time, is there anything I can do to make it look cleaner when I open the hood?

Thanks,

Josh

Josh, got any pics of the under hood? Have you thought about using the Mothers drill operated polisher? I don't have any real use here, but anything that removers the labor side I'm all over!

If its dirt and grime, you may have to where some gloves and use some S.O.S. pads. They will clean any thing crome.

You could install hood insulation to cover it.

http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M274+01

As far as the wire covers, I'd use a small rotary buff and just about any chrome or aluminum polish.

Theres a round cylinder shaped buff in this kit. You get the idea. Can even use it in your drill.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94962

I don't see why you couldn't just use a power washer to clean the hub caps, works fine for my rims. I spray them with the cleaning agent, let them sit a few minutes then blast them clean.

For the engine I use the Home Depot Husky equivilent of this cleaning wand on my compressor. http://www.toolsdirect.com/index.cfm/page/product:display/productId/TL1032/manufacturer/Campbell%20Hausfeld/categoryId/422/finish/NA

I like to warm up the engine a little and then I spray all the dirty areas with this:

http://www.autobarn.net/cheb-1.html

After it sits a while I mix a warm water solution with some TSP and rinse it down with the wand.

For the hood....

Cover the engine bay, front window, cowl and fenders with plastic. Use a mild degreaser (simple green, detergent, etc...). Spray liberally on the underside of the hood and work a soft plastic brush up there. You will be surprised on how much dirt, grime and dust comes off. Keep the hose close and spray it often so the grime does not settle elsewhere. Worked for me - I now actually wax the underside of the hood.

Careful with the engine brite - it will dull your paint and kills clear coats if you get it on there.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to try a few of your tips and see how it cleans up.

Eventuall, I am just going to pull the motor and clean / paint it properly, but that is not feasable right now!!

I will post a picture after I am done.

Josh

Good luck and just in case a lot of loose paint comes off with the dirt you may want to review this article on how to freshen up the paint and details without removing the engine. http://www.nzmustang.com/TechData/Detailenginebay.htm

The one thing I would add to this material list whether just cleaning or painting is a cheap roll of tinfoil. As opposed to trying to mask off or protect alot of items you don't want painted or to get wet, it is super easy to just cover them with a piece of foil. Anyone who has ever tried to tape down a plastic bag or sheet of newspaper to a dirty greasy part will agree it is no contest time wise.

if the stuff on the hood is mostly just greasy junk, then try using a warm water and Dawn solution and use quite a bit of the dawn so it gets real sudsy and use a nice soft wheel brush and follow up with a sponge. you may have to repeat each process 2 or 3 times and go back for more warm water/Dawn solution often. you can get the really tough stuff off with some bug/tar remover or even just simple mineral spirits or paint thinner (don't use lacquer thinner or acetone though)

Not the professional way but cheap do it your self!

If the wash and cleaning under the hood still leave's it undesirable. Get some help and remove the hood to paint the under side flat black. You are not going to match the ext. paint if worn?

Just take a small scribe and mark the hood where it bolts to the hinges, for easy re install. Then lay upside down (while protecting the finish on some make shift saw horse's) and scotch brite all areas. You don't have to go to bare metal. Then blow off all areas with any thing, compressed air, weed blower or shop vac.

Then tape off all edges and hang masking paper on the sides and its ready for the krylon flat black. A couple of coats will look better than what you have now!

You could mark the hinges at the fire wall and do them to!

If I gave those wire wheels to the wife she'd wash in the dish washer. We did that to every thing that would fit in the dish washer off of ours during the rebuild. Just remove after wash and before the dry stage!

More great ideas! Thank you.

I tried a mild detergent and grease remover. That took some of the dirt off, but not as much as I would have liked and there is some slight surface rust that is now showing.

I think the idea of pulling the hood off is next for me.

I want to paint the hood black because, as someone pointed out, there is no way I will match the paint. I will also paint the hinges to freshen them up.

I wish I had started earlier in the week as there is a cruise tonight and I won't be able to pull the hood in time for tonight. Maybe before next month's cruise I can do that!

Josh

if that is acapulco blue there is a Dupli-Color paint that is very, very close in the Truck and Van paint line called medium blue metallic. it is almost a perfect match and i really doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference, especially at night. i'd try that first and if you don't like it you can always paint it black afterwards. i painted the insides of my doors with because the paint shop didn't do it and the match is almost perfect.

if you do try it make sure you use a clear, also available in the truck and van line, to deepen the color some to make it match better, without a clear coat it looks sort of dull, but looks really good with the clear. anyway, i'd try it first and if you don't like then paint it black. i've always thought that black hoods on mustangs looked like someone didn't care enough to repaint it the right color, but that's just me

Thanks again! i like the idea of giving it a proper color instead of just going black. I was only really doing that because I didn't think I could match the blue.

I will see if I can find that paint and give it a go. It is works, There are a few other places I would love to paint with it as well.

Josh

Thanks again! i like the idea of giving it a proper color instead of just going black. I was only really doing that because I didn't think I could match the blue.

I will see if I can find that paint and give it a go. It is works, There are a few other places I would love to paint with it as well.

Josh

glad to help, just keep in mind that it's not an absolute perfect match so any kind of exterior paint work probably won't look exactly right, but i'd bet it work for trunk area, under hood and areas like that. then again it might be a better match to your car since my car has a newer base/clear paint job and may be a little different from the original color.

I am going to pick up a can of paint and clear and try it. If it doesn't work, I will just go black as planned.

Probably not going to try to rattle can the exterior just yet, although it could use some paint help!

Josh