Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkskinsfan

Very Basic 1969 fastback

Purchased new Carpet from CJ Pony Parts. Since I don't have Air, I wanted something under it to help stop some of the heat from under the car so I took a cue from Pakrat and bought a roll of "Refletix Insulation" ( 24" x 25' ) from Home Depot, and it was plenty to do the entire floor. It worked great and the best part is, including a roll of Aluminum Tape it only cost $27.19 including Tax. On the "Downside" while cutting the hole in the Carpet for the Shifter, I cut it a little too big. (I hate when I do STUPID SHIT like that) Anyway I managed to keep the edges of the Carpet under the Shifter Cover while I tightened it down, but I don't know how long it will stay. It's real tight on the corners, but a little loose in between. I'll post some photos when I have more time.

interior is really starting to look good, very nice. only thing i can tell on the carpet is to try it as is for now and see how well it holds up but more than likely i think you'll end up having to replace at least the front section

Coming along very nice, glad the reflectix worked out for you. I'm jealous of the progress you are making, I can't wait to start some vacation time next week so I can crank out some of my projects as well and wrap it up.

I'm jealous of the progress you are making, I can't wait to start some vacation time next week so I can crank out some of my projects as well and wrap it up.

Things have been moving along nicely. Too nice, in fact. When things go along this well (Except for some Stupid Asshole cutting the wrong size hole in the Carpet) it makes me nervous. Makes me think that something REALLY BAD will crop up, so I'm just taking my time and making sure that I don't break anything. I've been reassembling the Interior and it don't look too bad. Here are some recent Photos.

The interior doesn't look quite that mismatched it person as it does in the photos, bnickel. My Digital Camera is pretty old and it just doesn't seem to capture the colors as true as they are in real life. For example in the first photo the Interior Quarter Panel is almost the same color as the Door Jamb, but it looks a lot darker in the photo. I'm not really all that concerned about trying to get everything back to the same colors as it was originally, anything close will be fine with me. Just so it looks decent.

God I miss these kind of projects. For some of the young guys in this hobby, there was a time when you could buy these kind of solid projects all day long for less than you can buy the fiberglass for an "eleanor" (God, I hate that car) nowadays.

Anyway, the '69 looks great. I agree with the previous post, please no clone stickers. These cars are most beautiful in their purest form. My opinion, of course.

I didn't take your comments in a negative way, bnickel. Just wanted you to know that the Photos don't show the Colors in their true Hue and Intensity. Maybe if I take some outside in Natural Light, they'll look better.

I've been trying to find a way to make a decent looking temporary fix to my "SPLIT" Dash Pad until I can either buy a Dash Pad Cover, or find enough money to buy a New Dash Pad. First I covered the Split with a Plastic Grid and Painted it and the Dash the same color. It turned out so-so, but I wasn't satisfied so I removed that grid, painted another one a darker blue and edged it with some chrome looking Plastic Trim. This one looks a lot better. I think it'll do until I can get around to a more permanent solution. Here are some pics.

that looks pretty good although i'm not sure it wouldn't look even better with the grid painted black. since you have the chrome trim on it anyway it kind of looks a little like an aftermarket speaker grill and the black may accentuate that look some. just a thought

actually what you need is one of these. it's an Autometer guage pod for a 94-98 Mustang. this is a cool look and with some black faced guages with chrome or silver rings could really trick and would be a permanent solution that wouldn't require you to ever have to change the dash at all.

69_stang_dash_pod_2.sized.jpg

that looks pretty good although i'm not sure it wouldn't look even better with the grid painted black. since you have the chrome trim on it anyway it kind of looks a little like an aftermarket speaker grill and the black may accentuate that look some. just a thought

That's exactly what I was thinking.

JK,

Really starting to come together.... Looks fantastic.

I see you did the interior trim. That is a Fall item for me to do along with new seat covers, dash and maybe carpet. So what did you use for the interior trim? I was going to use the Eastwood prep / paint kit. I need to roll by and check you out. There is a show Sunday at the Winfield firestation - that's close to you right?

So what did you use for the interior trim? I was going to use the Eastwood prep / paint kit. I need to roll by and check you out. There is a show Sunday at the Winfield firestation - that's close to you right?

Except for the fact that I couldn't get the trim clean enough to suit me, it was for the most part in pretty good condition. Since it was already painted all I did was scuff it, give it a good cleaning with some Prep-All Wax & Grease remover and spray on a couple of coats of Acrylic Lacquer. They look pretty good, but only time will tell if it will hold up. And yes, the Winfield Fire Station is pretty close to me. I'll try to stop by.

For painting metal pieces, I usually hit em with a wire wheel them spray them down with Por-15s "Metal Prep" Works really well and you can see it in action because it forms little white bubbles where it is dissolving grease. Then just dry it off and spray her down. So far I've had very good luck with it. That Marine Clean crap they sell on the other hand I don't like so much.

-Steve

The Interior is just about done and I've gotten the body ready for Primer. A year ago I stopped by a PPG Dealer to check out prices on some of their stuff, and listed below are the prices I was quoted for their Deltron line.

1 Gallon Epoxy Primer $ 133.90

2 Quarts Epoxy Catalyst $ 80.10

1 Gallon Acrylic Urethane Primer Surfacer $ 141.40

1 Quart Primer Surfacer Catalyst $ 61.10

1 Gallon Reducer $ 40.05

Total Cost $ 456.55

A couple of times since then I stopped by PPG to talk to them about their new "SHOP-LINE" Series of Products that I had heard about. Two different guys there told me that for the price, SHOP-LINE couldn't be beat. They said it was better than their "OMNI" Line and less expensive too. Here's the prices for their SHOP-LINE Series for the same items as their Deltron Line.

1 Gallon Epoxy Primer $ 65.05

2 Quarts Epoxy Hardener $ 25.60

1 Gallon Acrylic Urethane Primer Surfacer $ 86.40

1 Quart Primer Surfacer Hardener $ 23.90

1 Gallon Reducer $ 21.00

Total Cost $ 190.55

Total savings $ 266.00

Needless to say I went with their SHOP-LINE Series. Today I did the Headlight Buckets, Rear Fender Extensions, Front and Rear Valances, and the Cowl Vent. Black Epoxy Primer over Bare Metal and Grey Acrylic Urethane Primer Surfacer over the Epoxy. Should have the Hood, Doors, Fenders, and Trunk Lid done this weekend. Here are some pics.

The Interior is just about done and I've gotten the body ready for Primer. A year ago I stopped by a PPG Dealer to check out prices on some of their stuff, and listed below are the prices I was quoted for their Deltron line.

1 Gallon Epoxy Primer $ 133.90

2 Quarts Epoxy Catalyst $ 80.10

1 Gallon Acrylic Urethane Primer Surfacer $ 141.40

1 Quart Primer Surfacer Catalyst $ 61.10

1 Gallon Reducer $ 40.05

Total Cost $ 456.55

A couple of times since then I stopped by PPG to talk to them about their new "SHOP-LINE" Series of Products that I had heard about. Two different guys there told me that for the price, SHOP-LINE couldn't be beat. They said it was better than their "OMNI" Line and less expensive too. Here's the prices for their SHOP-LINE Series for the same items as their Deltron Line.

1 Gallon Epoxy Primer $ 65.05

2 Quarts Epoxy Hardener $ 25.60

1 Gallon Acrylic Urethane Primer Surfacer $ 86.40

1 Quart Primer Surfacer Hardener $ 23.90

1 Gallon Reducer $ 21.00

Total Cost $ 190.55

Total savings $ 266.00

Needless to say I went with their SHOP-LINE Series. Today I did the Headlight Buckets, Rear Fender Extensions, Front and Rear Valances, and the Cowl Vent. Black Epoxy Primer over Bare Metal and Grey Acrylic Urethane Primer Surfacer over the Epoxy. Should have the Hood, Doors, Fenders, and Trunk Lid done this weekend. Here are some pics.

looking good. i'm getting anxious to start working on getting the cougar at least primed and ready for paint. i've got pretty everyhting i need already since it all came with the car, even the correct original color paint. i'm going to paint it a different color that what it was originally. the cougar name for the color is light aqua but we mustang guys know it as aztec aqua....not my favorite color really. i'm going to go back with acapulco blue and possibly a black painted top or maybe just paint the car a solid color