Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkskinsfan

Very Basic 1969 fastback

I finished Block Sanding the Body and there was only a few areas that need attention. Got them all fixed up and Sprayed on two more coats of Urethane Primer. Because it was so warm out, the Primer was setting up really fast so I laid it on as wet as I could. Got a couple of sags, but nothing major. Because I mixed up more Primer than I needed, some areas got a third coat. After it was good and dry I went over it with some 400 Grit Paper just to knock off the Over Spray. It has a little bit of Orange Peel, but a little Wet Sanding with some 400 Paper should take care of it. Next comes the Laborious Task of putting Urethane Surfacer on all of the parts. ( Fenders, Doors, Hood, Etc. ) It seems like I'm never going to get the Primer finished. Here's a couple of pics.

I finished Block Sanding the Body and there was only a few areas that need attention. Got them all fixed up and Sprayed on two more coats of Urethane Primer. Because it was so warm out, the Primer was setting up really fast so I laid it on as wet as I could. Got a couple of sags, but nothing major. Because I mixed up more Primer than I needed, some areas got a third coat. After it was good and dry I went over it with some 400 Grit Paper just to knock off the Over Spray. It has a little bit of Orange Peel, but a little Wet Sanding with some 400 Paper should take care of it. Next comes the Laborious Task of putting Urethane Surfacer on all of the parts. ( Fenders, Doors, Hood, Etc. ) It seems like I'm never going to get the Primer finished. Here's a couple of pics.

looking good, i know the bodywork and priming and sanding and priming and sanding and priming are the worst parts of actually painting a car. when i do the cougar i plan to let the car sit for a few weeks after the last round of primer surfacer and wetsanding to let the primer shrink and then another round of wetsanding and follow that up with another coat of epoxy primer then let that sit for another few weeks then do the final painting just to make sure it's wave free and that there won't be any sanding scratches show through the final paint

looking good, i know the bodywork and priming and sanding and priming and sanding and priming are the worst parts of actually painting a car. when i do the cougar i plan to let the car sit for a few weeks after the last round of primer surfacer and wetsanding to let the primer shrink and then another round of wetsanding and follow that up with another coat of epoxy primer then let that sit for another few weeks then do the final painting just to make sure it's wave free and that there won't be any sanding scratches show through the final paint

Finished what I thought would be the Final Sanding on the Body. Maybe I'm just being too picky, but it didn't look quite right so I sprayed on a couple more coats of Surfacer. Now when I do what I hope will be the real Final Sanding, I'll be satisfied.

Finished what I thought would be the Final Sanding on the Body. Maybe I'm just being too picky, but it didn't look quite right so I sprayed on a couple more coats of Surfacer. Now when I do what I hope will be the real Final Sanding, I'll be satisfied.

I'm finally satisfied with the Body. Sprayed what I hoped would be the Final Primer on the Doors, Fenders and Trunk Lid. The Trunk Lid was fine, but one of the Fenders had a place that needed a little more attention. The Doors were a different matter all together. Both still have some minor ripples. I'll have to Block Sand 'em down again and spray on more Primer. Hopefully this will be the last time. The Doors are getting to be a real P.I.T.A. but it has to be done. I'll post some pics when I start putting everything back together. Maybe in a week or two.

I'm finally satisfied with the Body. Sprayed what I hoped would be the Final Primer on the Doors, Fenders and Trunk Lid. The Trunk Lid was fine, but one of the Fenders had a place that needed a little more attention. The Doors were a different matter all together. Both still have some minor ripples. I'll have to Block Sand 'em down again and spray on more Primer. Hopefully this will be the last time. The Doors are getting to be a real P.I.T.A. but it has to be done. I'll post some pics when I start putting everything back together. Maybe in a week or two.

I've spent a lot of time working on the Old Girl the past few days. I sprayed Color on the Door Jambs, and the areas where he Rear Fender Extensions and the Trunk Lid goes. This Paint sprays a on lot different than the Primer and I couldn't get the Spray Gun adjusted right and when I first started the Paint came out way too fast and I had Runs and Sags all over the place. I wiped them off as best I could and when it was dry, I started again. I finally got the Spray Gun adjusted better, and the second time around went much smoother. It's not the greatest job, but you won't be able to see most of it anyway, so I'm leaving it like it is.

As you can see, there's a lot of Over Spray, but that will come off when I do the Final sanding after putting everything back together. I had hoped to have it ready for Final Paint by the end of the month, but the way things are going I don't think I'm going to make it.

I Painted the insides of both Doors and the underside of the Trunk Lid. I didn't muck it up too bad this time. The Color isn't nearly as dark in real life as they appear in the photos.

I got the Doors and Trunk Lid back on. Got the Doors lined up pretty good, but the Trunk Lid still needs some adjusting. It's beginning to look like a Car again.

After measuring several times I finally got up enough nerve to drill holes in the Hood for the Scoop, and wonder of wonders IT FIT! Here are some pics.

I've spent a lot of time working on the Old Girl the past few days. I sprayed Color on the Door Jambs, and the areas where he Rear Fender Extensions and the Trunk Lid goes. This Paint sprays a on lot different than the Primer and I couldn't get the Spray Gun adjusted right and when I first started the Paint came out way too fast and I had Runs and Sags all over the place. I wiped them off as best I could and when it was dry, I started again. I finally got the Spray Gun adjusted better, and the second time around went much smoother. It's not the greatest job, but you won't be able to see most of it anyway, so I'm leaving it like it is.

As you can see, there's a lot of Over Spray, but that will come off when I do the Final sanding after putting everything back together. I had hoped to have it ready for Final Paint by the end of the month, but the way things are going I don't think I'm going to make it.

I Painted the insides of both Doors and the underside of the Trunk Lid. I didn't muck it up too bad this time. The Color isn't nearly as dark in real life as they appear in the photos.

I got the Doors and Trunk Lid back on. Got the Doors lined up pretty good, but the Trunk Lid still needs some adjusting. It's beginning to look like a Car again.

After measuring several times I finally got up enough nerve to drill holes in the Hood for the Scoop, and wonder of wonders IT FIT! Here are some pics.

So far so good, nice work! I noticed you couldn't wait to do the trunk weatherstrip and and detail stickers eh?:tongue_smilie:Better tape off the strip well to avoid overspray when you do the top side!

So I guess next time someone balks in a post about why really good down to the metal paint jobs cost so much and why they shouldn't just do a Macco respray you'll be able to tell them first hand just how much labor is involved and why it is worth every penny.

So far so good, nice work! I noticed you couldn't wait to do the trunk weatherstrip and and detail stickers eh?:tongue_smilie:Better tape off the strip well to avoid overspray when you do the top side!

So I guess next time someone balks in a post about why really good down to the metal paint jobs cost so much and why they shouldn't just do a Macco respray you'll be able to tell them first hand just how much labor is involved and why it is worth every penny.

The Weatherstrip and the Stickers are actually the originals. I just taped 'em off and painted around 'em. As far as the Down to Metal Paint Job, it's a major PITA, but I hope the end result is worth all of the trouble and hard work.

The Weatherstrip and the Stickers are actually the originals. I just taped 'em off and painted around 'em. As far as the Down to Metal Paint Job, it's a major PITA, but I hope the end result is worth all of the trouble and hard work.

You're kidding?!?!?!??!?!?! :scared: Wow, ballsy move bro to save $20 worth of stickers and strip considering the quality level you went to for the paint job.

I didn't do the Trunk Lid that way to save money, Pak. This "Project" is nowhere near what could be called a "Restoration". I just want it to be mechanically sound and look good. I just want to have a little fun driving it around for a year or two when it's finished before turning it over to my Grandson. Every single thing that's been done to this car, I've done myself. I'm doing it because I enjoy it. It's not a Show Car and never will be. It's just something I'm having fun with. As far as the Trunk Lid is concerned, I can go back and strip the underside, repaint it and put on a new Weatherstrip and Stickers any time if I feel it needs it.

P.S. I am not doing anything to this car that would hinder anyone from doing a "Real Restoration" on it sometime in the future.

I didn't mean any offense by it, I was just shocked is all. After seeing how you have labored over each coat of primer and sanding again and again working on those minor imperfections that most DIY'rs wouldn't think twice about my mind just couldn't grasp that one decision. Having fun is what it should be about and you may not consider it a restoration but there are many levels that qualify it as such from a simple refurbish to a full on concours and I have enjoyed watching your accomplishments each step of the way.

No, No, No, Pak. No "Offense" taken. I just went back and read my reply and I could see why you might have taken it that way, but It was not my intention at all. It's just that I've already spent two years working on this Project. I know that doesn't seem like much time compared to some of the projects that I've seen here, but I'm retired and I would guess that I've already spent close to two thousand hours on it. At my age, I don't want to stretch it out for another year or two and I guess I was just looking for a couple of places where I could save some time. I thought to myself, "What The Hell, except for me, no one will probably see inside the Trunk anyway". ( I just got a little lazy ) And who knows, before I'm done, I might get all fired up and do it the right way after all. :blushing:

With a lot of help from my Wife, we got the Hood and Fenders on. We got everything adjusted so the all of the seams looked pretty good, but I thought I could get 'em a little better and I spent most of the afternoon yesterday making it look worse, :censored: so in frustration I decided to give it a rest. Although it was a Royal PITA, this morning with a fresh outlook, I finally managed to get it looking right. :clap: For anyone who will be going through this I have three words of advice; PATIENCE, PATIENCE, and more PATIENCE! Now to get the Trunk Lid and Rear Fender Extensions lined up.