Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mustangmanny

DYNO RUN Video

I finally got the chance to dyno tune my car. I've been having a bad hesitation for the lonest time. It ended up needing larger jets in the carb. They where way too small. The only think that concerns me is my HP rating.

It said my 351w w/Edelbrock performer package:Heads,intake,cam,timing chain,Holley 650DP timing at 12 deg @idle and 35 total timing @2500rpm is pushing only

233.2 HP and 329.3 torque. The HP seems kind of low compared to the torque. What doyou guys think? Does that sound right? I tried to post the video but I can't figure out how to make the ZIP file smaller to post. Any help?:smile:

Manny

This seems kinda weird since the stock 4bbl 351 should have been pushing 290 hp. (Don't know if Ford measured HP at the rear wheel or flywheel for these numbers.) Even if it was for the flywheel, after those modifications, I think you should still have more ponies than that at the rear wheel.

Then again, i'm no engine guy...

HP and Tq are kinda mutually exclusive. They feed off each other, but in cycles. The more HP you have, the more Tq you can pull from it. That's why BB engines have high #'s for both. In a SB, you have to kinda choose. I'd be worried for all the parts you threw on the car that you dropped at least 17HP from stock (was this a 2v engine, originally?)

Well, in those days, they measured from the flywheel. (Not counthing drivetrain loss) but they also underestimated. So 290 HP at the flywheel was more like 300+, but by the time you got the wheels, you had lost some percentage (around 15-20%, from what I've read....I have never put one on a dyno, though.)

I just talk to my buddy and he said because it was dyno'd on a mustang dyno that those dyno's tend to be under rated because of them having water braking pressure and they ask for weight of your car. A dynojet dyno is different and shows truer HP and TQ. my car was entered in as weighing 3500 lbs. He said Im more at 270HP and 375TQ at the rear wheels. Im getting the video converted tonight so I'll have it up by tomorrow.

I should take into consideration the huge driveline loss though my FMX trans and 9inch rear w/3.50's

Manny,

That timing seems off to me. 12* initial seems low. Are you running rich at idle? Low initial timing may be the cause. If you are in the 34~38* total timing area think about bumping initial up to 16~18 and installing a dizzy bushing to add 18*. That would be the black bushing if using MSD. All in at 2500 may be a bit too soon but not bad. I think 2700-3000rpm for total may help some. Try the two blue springs (again assuming MSD)

Just noticed 4V - definitely pump up the initial..... but don't go over 38* total. You may find anything north of 18* initial timing may make for hard starting.

I think those numbers are accurate by what we have seen. My first ever Dyno pull was 192 rwhp and I thought my car was fast until I saw that!

Now it has a little more...

I agree on bumping the timing a bit though.

it sounds like it's struggling a bit up high and the exhaust is way too clean, i'd expect just a little bit of black smoke when the secondaries kick in, only for just a second though, it's better to be slightly rich than too lean.

i agree that you need to add more timing and probably bump the jets up another size or two as well.

Ditto, what exhaust/mufflers are your running?

Thanks guys

There 2 1/2 inch flow masters. Im not sure what chamber model they are. I had the local Muffler shop install them with aluminized pipe. They tucked them up real nice. They've been on my car since 1994. And are well broked in.

I never heard my car from the outside before. It was awsome to hear it on the dyno screaming:drool: .

bnickle,

I'll bump up the timing this week. As far as jet size, we went up a size and lost power so we kept it where it was with #69 in front and #75 in rear. If I change my timing will the jets need to be changed again?

Thanks guys

There 2 1/2 inch flow masters. Im not sure what chamber model they are. I had the local Muffler shop install them with aluminized pipe. They tucked them up real nice. They've been on my car since 1994. And are well broked in.

I never heard my car from the outside before. It was awsome to hear it on the dyno screaming:drool: .

bnickle,

I'll bump up the timing this week. As far as jet size, we went up a size and lost power so we kept it where it was with #69 in front and #75 in rear. If I change my timing will the jets need to be changed again?

bumping the timing up a few degrees could very well have an effect on the jetting. i'd suggest the timing be in the 36 degree range total mechanical and initial (not including vacuum) and all in around 2800-3000rpm.

mine is set for 14 degrees initial and another 22 mechanical advance for 36 total.