Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

automart

Matching numbers?

Not sure, but on the engine mine is a 351W not out of a 69 stang. It's out of a 73 Torino. Those numbers under the block will tell you when and what car it was for. Re thread on trans. #'s and goodluck.

I have a 351C setting in my garage and the VIN number of the car it came out of is stamped on a flat spot on the very back of the block that would be facing the firewall. It would be hard to see if the engine was still in the car unlike 302's or 351W's wich are stamped on top of block behind the intake. The numbers under the starter are casting numbers and would tell you the date the block was cast but no VIN.

Correct, that is the only way to read the number on a 351C in the car is with a mirror. That or you can feel for it with your hands and then put some masking tape or paper over it and rub it with some charcoal, chalk or pencil to make an imprint.

Ok, where I thought to look on my 351C,(behind the intake on the back side of the engine block) the bell housing rim is in the way. (I have a blow proof)

Are the numbers to the side of the block above the heads?

I felt around all I could and could not find anything that felt like numbers.

Thanks

On a later Windsors they are located behind the valley, on clevelands (in Aust at least) the number is stamped above the fuel pump as per the pic. Sounds like you guys have the number in a real awkward spot, wonder which genius thought of that! Not that i'm saying aussies are smarter or anything :)

100_2343-1.jpg

Can you send me that engine? Looks pretty nice!

Internet is great isn't it. Your half way around the world talking to an ole Tennessee Hillbilly! I do have my teeth but I ain't wearin' no shoes! : )

I'll go look!

Thanks!

Wasn't in the same place as the Aussie's. If it is behind the bell housing, I'm SOL I'm not pulling that for the numbers.

I have a 70 Mach I that was complete and been sitting outside for 16 years when I bought it 4 years ago. I went to school with the guy that had it and as far as I know, the motor was never changed. I'm getting close to selling it and I want to make sure it is a number's matching car.

Thanks for all your help.

They are right below the drivers side head on a machined surface on the back of the block. Your bellhousing should not be in the way. I say that but I'm sure you figured out along time ago like me that nothing is carved in stone when comparing one Ford to another. What I'm saying is all the Clevelands I have seen that is where it's stamped but It may be in another spot. You may have to scrape off some paint or grease to find it. The numbers where hand stamped and shallow. They can be tricky to find.

Geez, shame u have to sell the car, that's what the engine in the pic is being built for, 1970 Mach1 351 4v, 4 spd.

The Clevelands are pretty popular in oz from being fitted in the local falcon range so plenty of aftermarket stuff, plenty of big hp cleveland combos at the drags making real good times; hoping to join them in another 18 months or so!

I actually have another car (my avatar) that I restored, using the 351c out of the car that I'm going to sell. I figure it would bring more money with the numbers matching motor. I think I may buy a 351W, I really like the supercharged engines. We have a SeaDoo RXP that is supercharged with an innercooler that is really fast adn ...COOL, ha!

I was going to restore the car after I finished the first one but changed my mind. That's a LOT of work restoring these old cars.

Just getting my ducks in a row as they would say it down here in the South.