Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Burn

Who can explain this VIN #?????????

I was on EBay today and wanted to bid on some BBF Mustang Shock towers. When I asked for the VIN # they told me 9F91H514284. I told them there has got to be something wrong with the number...or something because H Codes didn't come with BB shock towers and there were no 91 Mustang body style code. I asked for some pictures and low and behold, the VIN number is 9F91H and it’s stamped on both LH and RH towers. Anyway, I really wanted these but I couldn’t do it because I think these might have been for a different Ford…not a Mustang or Cougar. They sure looked like Mustang/Cougar but I didn’t want to chance it. Attached are some pic's. Does anyone know what the heck is going on here? Thanks!

They are 69 Cougar shock towers by the 9F91 VIN. I seen a H code 69 Cougar in a local junkyard a few years ago and it also had the big block shock towers. I have also seen other Cougars at car shows with the same towers.. It may be posible that all 69 -70 Cougars had the big block shock towers to provide a more solid platform for the overall "luxury" feel of the car.

SlimeGold69, Your right! I dont know why I didn't check for a Cougar VIN. I probably should have bought those. I think they went for $270. I'll keep my eyes open for those Cougars parts cars for now on.

Thanks!

I have seen a 6 banger car with one big block tower and one regular. Recently a friend of mine bought an M code coupe with big block towers. I am sure these were just production issues with what was available at that moment in time during the build. The 68 1/2 CJ automatic car I am restoring next has the main staggard shock mount welded in the trunk, but it was never used. All kinds of things came accross the assembly line. But if you should you be looking at a car that should have one of these, it would be a flag and great care should be takin in the research of the car.

But if you should you be looking at a car that should have one of these, it would be a flag and great care should be takin in the research of the car.

Can we get that last part one more time and in English Armond? I tried to follow but I don't. Not trying to be a smart ass (for a change) just want to edumicate myself here.

LOL! Well.............it was 1:00AM when I posted! Slimegold it right. It can work both ways. If someone is looking at buying a Boss 302 and it does not have the big block shock towers it could be a problem. Ya Smart Ass!!! LOL!

i once saw a 70 250ci coupe at the wrecking yard that had the BB towers in it, it was all factory too. ford did whatever they had to do to keep the assembly lines flowing. that includes using big block towers if they were out of regular towers or even using a shell that was bucked for a big block for a six banger if they had to. i also suspect that as orders got cancelled for a certain car they would use the shell for whatever was next in line that most closely resembled what cancelled order was, be it a big block mach 1 that got cancelled and using that shell for a 302 plain jane fastback or whatever.

That sure sounds like Ford and their loose part bin rules but I hope that door only swang one way. It's one thing to upgrade but I hate to think they would ever de-spec a BB for the sake of moving it down the line.

I have a 69 convertible with a S code and it never received the big block shock towers from the factory. The car is original with 48,000 miles, it was also bucked which is very unusual as it was built in San Jose. The block is stamped and Kevin Marti confirmed it was the last s code convertible ever built in San Jose. There are a lot of oddities with these cars.

That is odd, I don't think I have ever seen a buck tag on a San Jose car, certainly none on my 302 convertible. I think all verts should have come with the BB towers the way they flex but those pennies always had to be pinched. It sounds like this may have been one of the last ones made on the line period and got whatever they had left. What is the your unit number?

Welcome to the site BTW! Our vert numbers are finally growing strong! :shaun:

Unit 9R03S1832xx, I didn't know they bucked cars in SJ either as it wasn't mentioned in the Marti report. Kevin called and asked me to look for it, he still doesn't have enough info about SJ tags to recreate one. He stated the last couple of thousand received tags, he figured it was a trial run getting ready for 1970 production. My car was produced 21 days behind schedule.

Hunh, that is really odd then because mine seems to be made after yours (1846XX) by almost 1500 units. So where was it located? I'll have to take a closer look at mine and see if it actually does have one, or evidence of having been removed at least.

On the rad support, never found mine. I think it's in a box somewhere.... Sounded familiar when he was describing it, thin gauge metal the size of a credit card. Did you order a Marti report ? if so I'm sure he would have mentioned it if it was bucked. Maybe you have a last built "R" car to, I believe 70 production started late July. When was yours built ? must be mid July as mine was June 27.

I had gotten a marti report like 10 years ago but have misplaced it, I don't really recall what it said. I remember it being built like 10 days early though and I think it was mid july. The 302 is pretty common though so I'd be surprised if mine was a last like your 390.