Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70Coupe

Boss 302 Shelby

did anybody see the new Mustang and Ford Mag? the rare find, in particular? a prototype 1970 Boss 302 powered Shelby GT 350, with all the trimmings found on the 70 Shelby's. supposed to be 16, all yellow. this one was hand selected and is blue. understandably, the guy doesnt want to be known due to collecters hounding him to sell the car, BUT ITS SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDWEST!! anyways, good story, and i recall seeing a picture of a blue 69 Boss Shelby on a website, with other rare stangs. but i cant find the site again, go figure.

if it's the same car i'm thinking of this is it back in the day. it was a shelby prototype boss 302 but other than the shelby wheels it's basically standard boss 302. it does have the shelby rollbar which you can just barely see in the pic and the full shelby interior. this car may have been another test mule but i'm almost certain it's the same car.

if it's the same car i'm thinking of this is it back in the day. it was a shelby prototype boss 302 but other than the shelby wheels it's basically standard boss 302. it does have the shelby rollbar which you can just barely see in the pic and the full shelby interior. this car may have been another test mule but i'm almost certain it's the same car.

I've seen that pic several times myself but have always been suspect because of the Motorcraft sign in the background and type raised white letter tires on the car. If this was indeed a 1969/70 era photograph it should show Autolite on the sign and tires should be Goodyear or Firestone RWL's, not some off brand.

Back then, there weren't that many raised white letter tire choices and I can't imagine Ford or especially Shelby (he was a Goodyear distributor back then also) using anything other than Goodyears.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I e-mailed Donald Farr of Mustang Monthly about this picture/car and here is what he wrote back:

Bill,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

That photo was supplied to me for our Best of the Bosses issue (Feb. 04) by George Huisman, owner of Classic Design Concepts and a former owner of the car, a ’69 Boss that was used as a prototype for the ’69 GT350. Apparently, there was some consideration about switching from the 351W to the Boss 302 for the GT350, sort of the way the GT500 was switched to the GT500KR when the 428 Cobra Jet came out at mid-year 1968. It was built very early in the ’69 Boss 302 production cycle (April 21, 1969) and has a consecutive unit number that begins with 48 – Ford’s in-house code for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Shelbys</st1:place></st1:City>. It also has an 84 DSO, for Home Office Reserve. I believe George has an invoice that shows the car sold to Shelby-American. George is a pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes those types of Mustangs, and I don’t think he would have bought it if it hadn’t been the real deal. <o:p></o:p>

George decided he didn’t want to restore it so he sold it to someone in <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Indiana</st1:place></st1:State>. <o:p></o:p>

I think the photo was supplied to George by the person who sold it to him, so it is definitely not from ’69-’70. <o:p></o:p>

Donald<o:p></o:p>

yeah the photo i posted is of the car sometime in the 70's, note the 70 something chevy luv parked next to it. BTW, were you asking Donald Farr about the pic i posted or the one in the mag?

I sent him the pic you posted but that was the same one in M&M back in '04 plus I've seen it before on other sites since then. I have the article from the Feb 04 issue and could scan it if anyone is interested. I also asked Jim Smart (Mustang and Ford magazine) about it and thought the truck in the background looked like it was about a '77 Izzu (sp?).

Both agreed from the surrounding in the picture that it had to be made in the mid-70's or later for the sign, types of tires and truck in the pic. One thing about that prototype, it would be very easy to make a clone version if you wanted (LOL).

from the abgle of the pic it's hard to tell what the louvers are but i think they are original style. door gaps look about right actually, remember these cars were made on assembly lines in the 60's door gaps were not a huge concern for them.

I blew up this picture and the louvers, in my mind, are the aftermaket type.

Also, those wheel well opening flares look awful big to me.

Looks to me like it's some hot rodders ride!

Sorry, but I don't know anything about this car other than what is posted here.

Cheers

I blew up this picture and the louvers, in my mind, are the aftermaket type.

Also, those wheel well opening flares look awful big to me.

Looks to me like it's some hot rodders ride!

Sorry, but I don't know anything about this car other than what is posted here.

Cheers

It's amazing how we nit pick and over analyze things about our Mustangs (LOL). I can't really see the hinges on the top of the louvers which would make me thing they're aftermarket also. As far as the wheelwell openings, I think those tires are bigger than the F60-15's that came stock on Boss 302's back then which may make it look funny also.

Keep up the good detective work guys, it make this site more interesting. :detective:

Oh zeeez, I don't intend to be critical of others or their cars, hell, I've got a lot of things anyone could pick me to pieces about!

I did look carefully because at this time I'm restoring my set of original louvers and every curve and detail counts. Also I did all the body work on my car and I know personally and up close those flare shapes.

This is fun, I'm not cutting anyone up though.

Think I'll have another one!

ssshhhohn

yeah that would be the car i was talkin about, the new stang monthly has the article about that car, very good. only wish i could be as lucky and find a Shelby, Twister, Sidewinder, Boss, Mach, HELL I WISH I COULD FIND A FASTBACK that was affordable to me.

The car is well known to the Boss 302 registry and was documented. But you'd be surprised that there are a number of guys that lurk the Boss forum who don't really consider it a Boss at all. What about the cougars? they get the Boss stamp. Cool car.

If you ask me it looks like someone did a poor photoshop job to remove the side scoops on the car. It could be just the angle but it looks a little suspect to me. If you'd chop out the scoops, what else is chopped?

if the quarter scoops were chopped out it was done at the factroy and filled with sheetmetal just like all the other 69 boss 302's.

If you ask me it looks like someone did a poor photoshop job to remove the side scoops on the car. It could be just the angle but it looks a little suspect to me. If you'd chop out the scoops, what else is chopped?

if the quarter scoops were chopped out it was done at the factroy and filled with sheetmetal just like all the other 69 boss 302's.