Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bnickel

newest update

Looks good. Goes well with all the other black accents you are doing.

thanks, i just hope it isn't too much on the black stuff. i have a line on a set of black powder coated american salt flat wheels too. so i don't know, maybe it would look better with black wheels instead of silver. not sure if we are going to do a deal on the salt flats or not, i should know after the weekend. what do you guys think? would it look better with the black salt flats or the 69 shelby wheels?

<!--CONTENTS--><TABLE id=Table2 cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width=770 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=blackregular vAlign=top align=middle width=216><!--Click on image for bigger picture

-->b470.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The top looks great. You're doing a lot of the black accents I want to do but with my orange. Guess I'll look like a Halloween car in the end but I'll like it.

Those wheels are called Salt Flats huh? They look sweet to me. I'm trying to thing what they would look like in black. I'm currently planning on black center wheels myself and those are vintage but still "new" looking. I see they only go up to 17 x 9.5.. no 18's I guess.

-Stephen

Wow, looks sweet B, did you do the install or have a shop do it? I've never been a big fan of the vinyl tops either, but like you said earlier that was because of the puffy ones. If you can see if DB can photoshop you a picture to post so we can see your car with those wheels, but I'm betting they would look good.:thumbup1:

Protowrks, back in the 80's, the county sheriff cars were all orange in this area, we referred to them as the "pumpkin patrol" kinda goes along with your halloween car. J/K

The top looks great. You're doing a lot of the black accents I want to do but with my orange. Guess I'll look like a Halloween car in the end but I'll like it.

Those wheels are called Salt Flats huh? They look sweet to me. I'm trying to thing what they would look like in black. I'm currently planning on black center wheels myself and those are vintage but still "new" looking. I see they only go up to 17 x 9.5.. no 18's I guess.

-Stephen

well i'd show you pics of the actual wheels but the server the pics are on is apparently down. if it comes back i'll post them here.

Wow, looks sweet B, did you do the install or have a shop do it? I've never been a big fan of the vinyl tops either, but like you said earlier that was because of the puffy ones. If you can see if DB can photoshop you a picture to post so we can see your car with those wheels, but I'm betting they would look good.:thumbup1:

Protowrks, back in the 80's, the county sheriff cars were all orange in this area, we referred to them as the "pumpkin patrol" kinda goes along with your halloween car. J/K

i chickened out and had a shop do it. honestly i was afraid of getting glue on my new paint or something. if i wasn't selling the car i probably would have at least attempted it, i can't afford any screw ups right now. i also had them do the headliner and install a new windshield as well. as soon as i can get pics of the actual wheels i'll email DB and see if he'll do a chop for me.

Proto, i guess we could start calling your car the "Hallostang" or "Pumpkin Stang" or something. i think Frankenstang has been used already, though LOL

Very nice! Is that GT cap a new aftermarket or did you re-chrome?

the one that's all by itself in the pics or the one on the car? the one on the car is an original. the one by itself is actually an NOS one that i saw on ebay. i couldn't afford it, it sold for like 850 bucks!!!!! i have a new repro regular pop open cap that i'm going to all the parts from to restore the one that's one the car.

well i'd show you pics of the actual wheels but the server the pics are on is apparently down. if it comes back i'll post them here.

ok here are the actual wheels i'm talking about. i should know this weekend if i'll be getting the or not.

pt5.jpg<SCRIPT language=javascript>setImgWidth();</SCRIPT>

and the car they are currently on

pt2.jpg

the one that's all by itself in the pics or the one on the car? the one on the car is an original. the one by itself is actually an NOS one that i saw on ebay. i couldn't afford it, it sold for like 850 bucks!!!!! i have a new repro regular pop open cap that i'm going to all the parts from to restore the one that's one the car.

850? Wow! I've thought about rechroming mine, but with all the new stuff in the car, I've always liked that it's one of the few remaining original chrome parts in it, it's not bad, just showing its age, the door panel emblems are still original, faded colors and all :) They remind me that this car is old!, no matter how many new parts you put into it, LOL :).

I like the wheels, I have something similar on my 68, black and chrome with spinners, sharp!

yeah, the one on the car now is ok, but the chrome is crazing and cracking and dull looking. i got a deal on the new cap i got off ebay for 30 bucks because it was missing the pony emblem. i'll rob everything off of it except the center cap part and use all that stuf on my original. the center part of my cap is in decent shape and the chrome isn't nearly as bad on it as the outer ring since it's half covered by the outer anyway, so i think it will look good when it's done. we'll see, how it turns out. also the cap on the car now isn't the original. the original cap got dented when i was changing a tire and the jack slipped. the dent is small but it's right next the T in the GT emblem so i had to get a replacement off ebay and that one cost me almost 200 bucks!!!!!

i have an idea for the dented original though. i'm going to fix the dent with bondo ro something and paint the center part inside the gear teeth black just to see what it would like against the blacked out tail panel. i'm probably going to paint the inset of the gear tooth pattern charcoal gray or blue. what do you think?

I like it, never thought of buying a replacement and replacing parts of of it. I hope it works for you, I'm curious to see the results, please post it when you're done with it. And the fix for the original sounds good, I would like to see that too.

You should just get the whole car, not just the wheels.. :)

Wow.. I haven't seen a Boss 351 in a long time. Used to be one that same color in town I used to drool over.

Wow.. the wheels look quite different in black. They are in my top picks now though. Heck, maybe I need some gray to offset all the black. <shrugs>

Let us know the results!

-Stephen

I like it, never thought of buying a replacement and replacing parts of of it. I hope it works for you, I'm curious to see the results, please post it when you're done with it. And the fix for the original sounds good, I would like to see that too.

well, i painted up the original last night. i did the GT letters and the ring areound the gear tooth in blue. i'm not sure i like the blue, may redo it in red. i'll post up some pics later

ok, got some pics of the painted cap. i redid the good cap with the new outer bezel but that was the only part i could make fit, i haven't tried to install the new inner cap pieces and probably won't so all i really was able to use was the bezel. i tried the latch from the repro but it wouldn't work quite right, i think the shaft is smaller than the original so it just kind of wobbled around. i might have been abkle to change the shafts but the chrome was so obviously different it didn't look all that good so i reused teh original. didn't get any pics because there really isn't much to show. had i not gotten this repro cap for 30 bucks i would say that it isn't really worth it. i have seen just the outer bezels sell on ebay for about what i paid for this entire kit. i likely could utilize the inner gas cap bits like the springs and gasket and stuff but i'm afraid of destroying the cap trying to get the old stuff out.

anyway here are the pics of the painted one.

The top definitely adds to the color scheme with all the extra blackout you have, I like it better on your car then a blue roof. I was going to suggest before you sell the car that you put the dented cap back on and save the good one to sell seperately for extra cash, nice way to make it a little custom and disguise the damage! Becasue the tail panel is so Black though, I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't look better reversed, Black trim line and GT letters with a blue center?????? Also is that the same Acapulco blue color? It looks a little different but it could be just the pic.

actually, i decided to keep the other cap with the new outer bezel on the car and i'll just keep the original as a keepsake of the car after it's sold. your eye is not off the color is a little different, it was dark outside when i painted the blue on but it doesn't really matter since i already put the other one back on. i'm still going to experiment with the red lettering just to see if i like it but i'm pretty sure the other cap is staying. i had considered trying to make a little money on the replacement cap but i'd really rather just keep an original piece of the car for sentimentality's sake. i'll probably end up repainting the center of the original silver and put it back to a stock look with red lettering and black outline and then hang it one the wall or something as a keepsake.

I totally hear that. Even though I will probably like my car more than ever I intend to make a little shrine to how it was in the garage. When I was at Factory Five a few months back they had in a display case a hunk of twisted metal inserted in a base from some famous real Cobra that got wrecked and it had a nice little name plate with some facts on it and stuff. I still have the big chunk of rear qtr they first cut off by the door to straighten the frame and in the crunched parts you can see the original color under the aqua and what's left of the white GT stripe so I was thinking of mounting that eventually with the crash date engraved and maybe page 1 and 2 of that article on each side or something, just as a keep sake to hang in the garage.

I totally hear that. Even though I will probably like my car more than ever I intend to make a little shrine to how it was in the garage. When I was at Factory Five a few months back they had in a display case a hunk of twisted metal inserted in a base from some famous real Cobra that got wrecked and it had a nice little name plate with some facts on it and stuff. I still have the big chunk of rear qtr they first cut off by the door to straighten the frame and in the crunched parts you can see the original color under the aqua and what's left of the white GT stripe so I was thinking of mounting that eventually with the crash date engraved and maybe page 1 and 2 of that article on each side or something, just as a keep sake to hang in the garage.

hahaha, that's funny. i also kept the piece of the lower 1/4 they cut out for the patch panel becuase it was the only big rust spot. it was stripped down to bare metal though so i've been using it as a paint test panel, but now you have me thinking about somehow mounting the gas cap to that and hanging it on the wall. maybe i'll cut it out in the shape of a running pony or something and paint it acapulco blue.

actually, i decided to keep the other cap with the new outer bezel on the car and i'll just keep the original as a keepsake of the car after it's sold. your eye is not off the color is a little different, it was dark outside when i painted the blue on but it doesn't really matter since i already put the other one back on. i'm still going to experiment with the red lettering just to see if i like it but i'm pretty sure the other cap is staying. i had considered trying to make a little money on the replacement cap but i'd really rather just keep an original piece of the car for sentimentality's sake. i'll probably end up repainting the center of the original silver and put it back to a stock look with red lettering and black outline and then hang it one the wall or something as a keepsake.

i redid the cap again last night with red instead of blue i don't think i like that very much either, though, so i guess i'm going to paint the center silver, leave the GT lettering red and paint the outer ring black so it looks more original. oh well, it was worth a try for something different.

Sorry it didn't work out, wasn't too crazy about the blue letters. How about it all chrome?

it has a dent in it to the right of the lettering that i filled in with spot putty so i have to paint the center that's why i got the replacement cap that's currently on the car in the first place. this one i'm just playing around with to see if i can come up with something that might look good on the car. i haven't been able to so i'll just hang it on the wall. the one that's on the car now is a correct 69 GT cap and it looks just fine, especially now that i replaced that outer bezel with the repro piece so that's the one that will stay on the car. it's actually ok with me that the dented cap isn't going with the car since it's the only part of the car i'll be keeping once the car is sold and it's the original cap to the car so it will be a nice keepsake. when all is said and done i might just remove the paint and the bondo spot and leave it original, but i think i'll just paint the center silver so it will be more presentable.

wow i sure made a novel out of that didn't i?