Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Tunes options for your ride.

As many of you already know one of the things that got totalled in my accident was my sony CD trunk changer and since I have become spoiled by that now I have been seeking a replacement. My two options I was considering were 1) to just get a new trunk changer of which I have been looking at this one so far: http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Kenwood_KDC_CMP59FM as I figure it would compliment my vintage Ken Harrison Kenwood AM FM cassette deck nicely, they run around $250 - $300. Or second option was to seak out an in dash CD changer that I could fit into the heater control section of my radio bezel since I deleted my heater core years ago anyway and have zero need for it. This search still contines BTW.

I had considered for a momment of maybe getting myself an ipod finally instead however, I do not have a cigarette lighter in my car and don't care to just bolt in some aftermarket one. Besides, I got my wife an FM car adapter for her car to listen to her ipod and as an FM adapter (even my old or new CD player option worked via FM) it is less than a stellar way to hear the music clearly. Well, I just spotted an article on this little gem the other day: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6714451&st=ipod+cassette+adapter&type=product&id=1083714106301

or for an even cheaper alternative: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7384387&st=ipod+cassette+adapter&type=product&id=1122654250882

And apparantly because it intigrates directly with the stereo it is way clearer than the FM transceiver.

Has anyone heard one or have one and can say anything good or bad about it? Because if not I am really struggling to find a good reason why I shouldn't get this instead for basically the same cash and also have music to go???

I use an fm adapter for my ipod in my new car (cig lighter). I agree that its not the best sound and i previoulsy used a cassette adapter in another vehicle and it was much clearer but still not the best. It all depends on what radio you have. If you get lets say an aftermarket radio that has Left and Right audio out (rca jacks) you can just run a line directly from that to your ipod and find a way to hide it. Alternatively they have some ipod adapters that are radio specific. You can find those at crutchfield and other places, i usually use crutchfield for reference since they are generally higher. Ill post a link to them in a few minutes.

The adapters allow you to actually control your ipod through your radio instead of having to navigate using the ipod itself.

Heres a start: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3QrurpRpOKc/cgi-bin/tools/digitalDriveThru/digitalDriveThruIntro.asp?cm_re_o=_bkk_Bzyp*kbELN*fwlfpybMw7Vm

Here is what im currently using: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-IN-1-CAR-CHARGER-FM-TRANSMITTER-HOLDER-FOR-iPOD-NANO_W0QQitemZ320030555523QQihZ011QQcategoryZ58350QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To me it's not the same as a direct CD player but does work. I think it sounds better than the FM adapters I've heard as well. Like above it would all depend on how high end the rest of the system is (amps, subs, speakers, etc).

I have a laptop mounted in my van (cell connection, GPS, etc) that I drive the audio out into a cassette adapter and into the stereo system. Worse part is the messy wiring that is always hanging around since I leave the adpater part way in the cassette when not using it.

It is definately the most economical way to go and with an iPod you'd have the ease of taking it out and with you anytime.

-Stephen

I have an Alpine deck with their iPod adapter. My iPod just plugs right in to it, registers as a device just like a cd changer, and charges from that. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't control my iPod once it's connected and it is nearly impossible to use the deck to find a song.

It isn't that bad tho, just unplug the iPod from the cable, find the song, plug it back in.

I swore up and down Ipod's were a total waste of money, and proclaimed my hatred of the trendy little things to everyone who would listen.

Then my girlfriend got me one for christmas. Let's just say it's always within arms reach. I am a music nut, and listen to a very wide range of music. It's certainly the answer for me.

For my car setup, my daily driver has a direct line input. This is the best route since the sound is the clearest. The Mustang has the original AM/FM in working condition, and I use an FM modulator I have if I take that out and decide to listen to music. (Before last year, I had a complete stereo system hidden in the Mustang, but it was just a waste of money and one more reason someone might break into it.)

Direct connection is the best, Cassette is fine (They've been around for ages and quality has gotten better), FM is bearable. I don't like when they hook directly into an ''ipod'' headunit, since like was already said, they take away the ability to change the songs on the iPod itself.

So yea, iPod and if you have RCA inputs that's the way to go. Best money I've ever 'spent'.

Well see I really don't want to get another car stereo as this one fits right and looks right. Plus I have many old cassettes from a now departed best friend who was a DJ and I like to listen to them still so I'm not giving up my cassette capability. That means any CD changer would have to run pretty much thru FM still.

Honestly I'm far from a music nut, I don't even listen to new music at all or by CD's except that I do like BNL. My wife is the music nut always listening to her ipod and buying CD's. I'm usually quite content with classic rock radio station and any CD's I own are also classic rock ones, that was all that was in my changer ever. The second tape devivce I listed actually seems to say it worked via the radio selector which is odd since it was also the cheaper unit. My jeep has an AM/FM/CD Cassette plus a CD changer, my wifes truck has no cassette which is why she needs the FM unit for her ipod. Maybe I should just spend the short change for the cassette adapter and try it in the jeep in comparison to the FM cigarette lighter unit with my wifes ipod and see what I think. Then decide if I buy my own ipod or another CD changer for the trunk. The only down side I can really see is the cassette option does not allow for recharging of the ipod but again for basically the same money it seems a waste to limit myself to 10 CD's and not have portability especially seeing how far I travel for work some times.

Well thanks guys, as always you've given me more to think about.

Have you thought of anything like Kenwood's Music Keg?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12077&guideID=1043363101007&type=page

It's a pretty sweet setup, kind of like an MP3 changer. A Hard drive for your car. Or you could buy one of those USB capable units and put your music on a Flash drive and plug directly into your head unit.

Have you thought of anything like Kenwood's Music Keg?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12077&guideID=1043363101007&type=page

It's a pretty sweet setup, kind of like an MP3 changer. A Hard drive for your car. Or you could buy one of those USB capable units and put your music on a Flash drive and plug directly into your head unit.

OK help me out here. The unit looks pretty cool I'll admit, but every single dealer I came up with on google shows the item as no longer carried or out of stock. The only ones I could find for sale were on ebay and they all seem to be fetching $200 + dollars for the 10GB unit. The only way I could listen to it in my current system is thru the FM modulator and it really is only good for my car, not also a portable player.

The ipod has dropped to $249, it's 30GB, I don't have to use FM, it's 100% portable and can also do video?

I feel like I'm either stupid, totally missing the point or I need to have my second cup of coffee. Can you explain to me what I'm missing here? If I could pick one of these up for say a third of the price of an ipod, like $75 it would fit my particular needs but otherwise I'm just not getting it.:confused1:

You don't have a cigarette lighter, but that doesn't mean you would have to get some crappy aftermarket piece to get one, the 69 consoles have them, I'm pretty sure that would work, wouldn't it?

Have you seen what a repro console sells for? Even used is $$$$. Or are you saying just get the console lighter? Even then, where to mount it so it doesn't look like an after thought?

I didnt realize they were still that expensive and not in stock anymore.

I guess if the IPOD is cheaper go for it. I've just been been turned off by the IPOD because of previous problems I've experienced with it (it doesnt always play home ripped music only what you buy from Itunes). I dont know if that problem has been fixed lately, but it left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to the IPOD name. I was so disappointed I returned it and bought a cheap no name mp3 player.

FM, I've never had anything that's been ripped and wouldn't play on my iPod.

Pak, you might also consider a Nano. I got an iPod Mini, which they don't make anymore and the Nano replaced, and the 4GB has been more than adequate for me. I can store 3-4 DAYS worth of music on just that 4GB, and have never had to pull off anything to make room except for when I had tons of Podcasts and some Audiobooks on it. I don't know what Nanos are going for these days, but if cost is a concern, you can shave some savings there.

Have you seen what a repro console sells for? Even used is $$$$. Or are you saying just get the console lighter? Even then, where to mount it so it doesn't look like an after thought?

Pak, i can get you one of the underdash ashtray and cig lighter deals from a 70 parts car at the local mustang junkyard. probably get it for 5 bucks or less. it bolts in under the heater pod. let me know if you're interested.

Pak, i can get you one of the underdash ashtray and cig lighter deals from a 70 parts car at the local mustang junkyard. probably get it for 5 bucks or less. it bolts in under the heater pod. let me know if you're interested.

Hmm, I have seen those in some cars, I may consider that. My regular ash tray needs refinishing anyway and it's always nice to have a port to charge cell phones and what not or even the ipod, hell even just to light my butts. OK, look into it, thanks.

I didnt realize they were still that expensive and not in stock anymore.

I guess if the IPOD is cheaper go for it. I've just been been turned off by the IPOD because of previous problems I've experienced with it (it doesnt always play home ripped music only what you buy from Itunes). I dont know if that problem has been fixed lately, but it left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to the IPOD name. I was so disappointed I returned it and bought a cheap no name mp3 player.

Well I can tell you for sure that you must of had a bad one because my wifes ipod is 95% loaded with CD's, store bought and home burned. With a 2.0 USB it takes seconds to upload. I will say this though, the extended warranty is a good thing to get on a product like this and I never usually buy those.

FM, I've never had anything that's been ripped and wouldn't play on my iPod.

Pak, you might also consider a Nano. I got an iPod Mini, which they don't make anymore and the Nano replaced, and the 4GB has been more than adequate for me. I can store 3-4 DAYS worth of music on just that 4GB, and have never had to pull off anything to make room except for when I had tons of Podcasts and some Audiobooks on it. I don't know what Nanos are going for these days, but if cost is a concern, you can shave some savings there.

Very good point my friend. When I got my wife her ipod for xmas she was not intersted in the nano, to delicate for her taste. But honestly, for my limited music needs the Nano may just be the way to go here and it is cheaper.

Hmm, I have seen those in some cars, I may consider that. My regular ash tray needs refinishing anyway and it's always nice to have a port to charge cell phones and what not or even the ipod, hell even just to light my butts. OK, look into it, thanks.

ok, i've got to call him for a few other things anyway.

I had a first gen ipod, before they were cool.

" FairPlay blocks people from making unlimited copying of songs but also makes sure that the iPod doesn't work with any other kind of copy-protected formats. "

"The question is much deeper than that. I’m of course, referring to the recent lawsuit filed against Apple for illegally tying iTunes and the iPod together because the iPod is a monopoly. FairPlay is the technology that Apple uses to encode music and video files. Because Apple hasn’t licensed it to other vendors, only the iPod can play songs downloaded from the iTunes Music Store."

This was the problem they were having. I returned it to Apple, they have great customer service.

As far as those extended warranties most places want to sell you, I will never ever get one again. A few year ago I bought a Palm PDA from Best Buy. I bought it during the Christmas rush, you know 20 people in line. well the nice sales clerk said "hey why not get an extended warranty on it that way if it ever gets broken, scratched or just doesnt work properly you'll be covered and well get you a new one" I figured hey for an extra $30 bucks thats a good deal. So she handed me the 5 page microprint brochure and added the amount to my purchase and I was on my way. Well about 2 months later while doing CPR on a patient in the back of the Ambulance, the PDA slips from my pocket hits the floor and tumbles out the back door of the unit then breaking on the ground. I wasnt too concerned, I had bought my handy extended warranty with damage protection, right? WRONG!! I brought my PDA back to Best Buy along with my extended warranty/damage protection plan only to be told that the plan doesnt cover any kind of damage, only manufacturing faults not otherwise specified in the manufacturers warranty. I explained to the manager how the plan was explained to me and how I specifically bought it due to the damage protection. He said "you should have read the entire brochure before buying the plan. During Christmas rush with 20 people in line they want you to read a 5 page brochure with microprint after they just told me "you can read it if you want but it just says we will replace you electronics if they are damaged". Now I'm mad and I said fine if you're not going to honor your false verbal agreement I want my money back for warranty that youre not going to honor. They said NO!! So not only did they lie anout the extended warranty/damage protection, now theyre not going to refund my money. I soke to the head manager on duty and even he said no. So I went up to the checkout and everytime they tried to sell damage protection I explained to the customer what the policy really says. After telling about 10 customers this they called the cops to have me removed. My neighbor shows up (a deputy) and asks whats up, I explained to him what happened and guess what they did the same thing to him! Needless to say I was never removed and now a crowd had formed at customer service where people were asking for refunds of their newly purchased "plans". In the end I got my $30 back, but they said they had to take the damaged PDA back to give me my money.I still didnt agree with that logic because I had paid for the PDA and a separate plicy to protect said PDA. So I smashed the PDA into many small pieces on the counter gave it to the manager and took my money. So, thats why I don't like extended warranties.

Sorry to go so :offtopic: and hijack your thread.

Hey man I hear that, I have my own issues with Best Buy. Once I bought a new computer from them with no payments for one year. I carefully spread the payments out equally over 12 months so it would be like an interst free loan, why pay cash up front. I made sure I sent in the last one over 2 weeks early. They cashed the check one day after the term and retro charged me the entire years worth of finance charges, like you I got nowhere with them and it's the last dime they ever saw another dime from me again.

The only reason I got the warranty on the ipod is because they are notoirous for sudden battery faliure and it's not one you can replace yourself but this covers it so for a few bucks it was worth it but normally I pass on that stuff every time.

Well believe it or not there are better players out there then the ipod but ipod seems to be the slimest and has the most eye appeal. However if you are not going to be buying it for a few more weeks, then microsoft is coming out with some competition and its called "Zune" And the price point is going to be $229 compared to ipods $249. I want to say thats for the 30gb versions. I'll dig up some more details if you want.

Thats cool, didn't even know it was coming out yet. My buddy just got a new stereo for his Chebby Vette and he can hook his Playstation, Dvd player, and Ipod to it. Haven't figured out yet how to use the two playstation controllers that hook up to it and drive at the same time yet, but with a little more practice......

My head unit has a pair of RCA auxiliary input jacks on the back. I Just plug that into my iPod's headphone jack and it's hidden away in the glove box. Best of all, it doesn't turn into a zombie like the head unit adapters tend to do, and the sound is crystal clear. I also added a hidden cigarette lighter behind the dash that has an iPod charger permanently plugged in to. It's the best solution i've found, and probably one of the cheapest. I guess this doesn't really solve the problem since you're using the Ken Harrison deck, because they don't have aux in... This was just my solution.

Oh, I forgot how expensive used consoles are getting, I was just thinking you could go pick one up at a swap meet or the junkyard for pretty cheap, but I guess everything is going up in price these days, I guess I'm lucky to have one already.