Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bnickel

major Ebay score!!!!

i just won a TCP power rack for 222 bucks!!!!!!! it doesn't have the install kit but i can one or even make my own if i have to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130016336254&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

i got outbid on the manual kit they also had listed but that's ok, i was just going to resell it anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130016337128&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=003

woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only way i could get it to pull up in the search was by typing "rack conversion" or just plain rack and pinion which pulled something like 4000 hits. nobody else even bid on it until the last 10 minutes of the auction, so i suspect that whoever outbid me on the manual rack only caught it by typing rack and pinion and just happened to see it on the "ending soon" page when it came up. it was listed really wierd and i have a feeling that the houehold sale was really a just divorced and i'm cleaning house sale

I was gone for awhile and just read that you have a cougar now that you are going to put it in. What year is it and what engine does it have? I finally got my steering column back in and the brakes finished on mine, been way to busy this summer to get more done.

actually i still have the mustang and don't have the cougar yet. we are going to try to buy a house and in order to come up with a down payment i'm going to have to sell the mustang. the cougar i found is a friend of mine's that he can't work on anymore because he has eye problems. we made a deal on it and he said he would hang on to it until i get the stang sold.

oh yeah i guess i should tell you about the cougar, huh?

it's a 69 regular coupe, not xr7 or sport coupe or anything. it's baby blue, with a white top and black interior. it has a 351 2v, fmx automatic, PS, AC and MANUAL DRUM brakes, yuck, but i can fix that. it has 60,000 original miles and the engine has never been apart. the engine compartment was detailed at one point though. the interior is absolutely immaculate, no rips in the seats, no cracks in the dash the carpet isn't even sun faded, probably because the car has always been garage kept.

now for the bad news, the paint on the passenger side is stripped down to bare metal due to some dings. my friend was trying to fix them and he found a bunch of bondo in the quarter panel so he stripped the paint all off and found out there was a small dent that some dumbass had covered up with bondo. the dent was barely was big enough to warrant any body work even and someone covered it with bondo and had the passenger side repainted. so ground all the bondo down and popped the dent out with his HAND!!!! he just had to remove the interior quarter trim panel to gain access. it was about this time that he started losing his eyesight so the car has sat there since about 93 or 94. it will need a paint job and a new vinyl top since apparently this same guy who did the crappy bodywork decide to rip the vinyl top off and paint the roof instead.

all in all it's a pretty darn good deal for what i'm going to pay for it. i'm going to paint it and have a new top put on. i'll install that TCP rack and do a disc brake conversion maybe even a 4 wheel disc setup. i plan on installing a 70 cougar front end since i really like the beaver tooth grille. i've got a bunch of goodies i was going to put in the stang but i'm going to hang onto them and put them in the cougar instead. i've got a 68 mustang overhead console, NOS ford headlight on buzzer, an intermittent windshield wiper conversion, a tilt column from a 68 continental that i'll have to modify to get rid of the column shift. i've already got a tach dash for it that i had originally bought for my old 70 cougar but never had a chance to install and i have a rear defogger for it also. i have an aod i need to build for it. i have an original over the counter ford aluminum intake for the 351, it's identical to the 69 shelby intake but doesn't have the shelby lettering. i have some other little stuff for it too.

Things like this make think twice about my not participating in ebay rule but I'll reserve judgement until you receive it and verify it is in working condition. I can't believe the seller had both a manual and power one though, house sale or not.

I guess I just don't get how the whole ebay thing works because I look at the bids and the guy who beat you out on the manual seems to have bid against himeslf the first ten times, what's up with that? Is he scitso?

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=130016336254

I guess I just don't get how the whole ebay thing works because I look at the bids and the guy who beat you out on the manual seems to have bid against himeslf the first ten times, what's up with that? Is he scitso?

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=130016336254

What happens there is someone places a bid which at the time is the top bid, however, they also say they will go another xxx dollars higher. So say you and I are bidding on a item and I place a $10 initial bid but also enter in that I will go to $50. The bid is at $10. You bid $12 but my "auto" bid bumps me to $13. You then bid $20 but the auto bid again pushes it up to the next level. And so on until either you give up or bid more than $50 - in which case you are the top bidder. So each time you attempt to out bid me and I instead auto out bid you it appears that I am the bid winner - we never see your "losing" bid. Hence the reason why it would appear I am out bidding myself.

I use Ebay alot and as a seller I hope for a bidding war and as a buyer I hope I have the smarts to walk away if it gets too pricey. Mixed results but made a killing on some Redskins tixs I just sold - almost 3 times what I paid all because I would be out of town that weekend. The profits are allowing me to buy new ceramic coated headers....

Check them out....

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/351C.htm

Much better clearance so I can fit in cutouts and the new Magnaflow exhaust system.

Excellent explanation coz. I sell alot of things on ebay myself and have done so since 98 or 99 when it used to cost 25cents to list etc.

::clicks on bnickels name on ebay::: I see a negative feedback! You deadbeat bidder! LOL

Excellent explanation coz. I sell alot of things on ebay myself and have done so since 98 or 99 when it used to cost 25cents to list etc.

::clicks on bnickels name on ebay::: I see a negative feedback! You deadbeat bidder! LOL

extenuating circumstances. a couple of those i was in the hospital for surgery, etc. some sellers are also just jerks, if they have a bad attitude about my bid they can kiss my ass. i guess i'm some sellers worst nightmare.

Nice score Bryan!!! And finally someone got the "right" price on a TCP rack...

thanks Wyatt, i was really plannnig on going with the randall rack kit, but i couldn't pass this deal up at all. i actually may have to end up selling it, i've spent way too much on parts and may have to recoup some of the money to please the wife. FallujahMedic will probably get first chance since he has already PM'd me about it. but i'll let everyone know if i do decide to sell it.

Yeah Ebay isn't as cheap as it used to be... Add the Paypal surcharge and it can strip away some of the profits.

Also, like most things in life you need to be wary. There is always the guy marketing a product that is not as described - like the ultra rare 68 GTA. So rare they never made one. However, Ebay does offer a great place to find items you simply can't find at the store. Cars and parts certainly have exploded on the scene - lots of good deals, not so good deals and plain ripoffs. Hopefully, it will help us "hot rodders" when we want to sell and move onto the next project. Buy low - sell high.... Too bad it's just not that easy.

I've used ebay a couple of times, had pretty good luck with it sofar, but I usually only buy from a company which isn't the same as buying from joe-blow from across the country. As my accountant would say, "your not much of a risk-taker".:rolleyes: :yawn:

i have yet to burned on ebay. the only time i was even worried about it was when i bought some headlight buckets from some guy that went by streetgrande69 that i never got, it was one of my first ebay purchases many years ago. turns out they got lost in shipping along the way and he gave me a full refund and he lost out on any profit at all from them. i didn't know it at the time of purchase but found out a few days later that he was a regular poster on stangnet and later became a moderator of our very own 69stang. our good friend Trinity's is that guy and he was a standup seller on ebay i have to say. that was the one and only time i ever had any kind of problem with ebay, at least so far anyway and it turned out to not be a problem at all.

I guess I'm just not a site unseen type of buyer when it comes to used items. I would probably just use it to sell if anything but it seems like such a hassle to me, maybe I'm just too old fashion with things like this.

Starting out as a newbie on ebay these days seems brutal, hell I see ads that say if you don't have feedback don't bid. How the hell are you supposed to get feedback then?:001_rolleyes:

I've bought tons of stuff on ebay, going back to 2000. It definitely seemed more user friendly and honest back then, but there are more provisions in place to protect you now. Back in 2000, credit card companies didn't have the kind of liability protection they do now. Thank the internet, ebay, and online shopping in general for the better protection we get now.

Now, all that said, you do have to be cautious when using ebay. Do your homework, ask questions, check feedback, use a credit card to pay, never buy anything from anybody that requires a wire transfer or cashiers check, try to find local listings, etc. There are lots of good ways to minimize any risk.