Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wantahertzdonut

17X10 rear wheels

I'm sure this has come up before but I'm not positive.

I'm about ready to order wheels and tires for my car and I need to know if 17X10's can be run in the rear? I've seen 17X9.5's on Dodgestang's tire and wheel chart but never 10's. Has anyone seen 10's on the back of a 1970 fastback? I have access to a fender flairing tool as well. Will it be necessary?

I don't have a lot of experience in the matter, but I beleive it's more the offset of the mag and the tyre that will affect your choice. In theory if you have a 295 tyre on an 8" rim, or a 295 on a 10" rim and the OD is the same, it shouldn't really matter...... I think.

Ask the wheel dealer if he's coupled the wheel with a similar Mustang to yours.

If it were 17x10 I would want it to be 6.5 offset or possibly even 7. I have 17x9, 275/40 tire, with 5.5 offset and I have at least the 1.5" more of clearance you would need to run a 10" wide rim with a 7 offset.

All else being equal, if you went from a 17", 9" wide, 5.5" offset rim to a 17", 10" wide you would already gain .5" of offset for 6" of total offset. I would also want to go 1" further in to clear the fender and I think I have a good bit more than 1.5" in tire clearance back there.

Somebody check my logic on this :) and I can actually go to the garage and measure my distance to the spring. I can tell you now if you have only 6" offset and 295s you're going to make fillet o' tire unless you jack it up back there.

I'm about ready to order wheels and tires for my car and I need to know if 17X10's can be run in the rear? I've seen 17X9.5's on Dodgestang's tire and wheel chart but never 10's. Has anyone seen 10's on the back of a 1970 fastback? I have access to a fender flairing tool as well. Will it be necessary?

another thing to keep in mind is that after 35 years no two cars are going to be exactly the same. a common problem with any leaf spring car that you need to watch out for is that sometimes the rearend is not perfectly centered in the car anymore and you can have get different measurements from one side to the other, so measure both sides to determine the max backspacing you can run for each side and go with the smallest one.

Hats off to you for exploring the outer limits. I have some details and pictures of a 69 fastback with 10 inchers with 6.35 inches of backspacing.

It had 295/40s and the owner reported having no problems other than having to roll the outer lip along with some minor reshaping of the inner wheelwell.

If it were 17x10 I would want it to be 6.5 offset or possibly even 7. I have 17x9, 275/40 tire, with 5.5 offset and I have at least the 1.5" more of clearance you would need to run a 10" wide rim with a 7 offset.

We need to maintain no less than .5 inches to the leaf springs and may need an inch. This is so one can turn into a steep driveway on a hill and not scrape the tire.

The widest backspaing I've seen is 6.35 and the owner stated he had to modify the inner fenderwell just a bit.

In other words, we could probably go with 6.5 (possibly more?) of backspacing as you suggest without hitting the leaf spring but we may hit the upper inside fenderwell more than can be compenated for by just reshaping it with a hammer.

I have a fairly recent article that shows how to install a mini-tub to avoid this problem.

Maybe this gentleman will let us test this hypothesis. If it doesn't fit, he can always fix it with spacers. You know the rule, we can always decrease the backspacing with spacers, but we can't increase it.

we may hit the upper inside fenderwell more than can be compenated for by just reshaping it with a hammer.

I have a fairly recent article that shows how to install a mini-tub to avoid this problem.

Maybe this gentleman will let us test this hypothesis. If it doesn't fit, he can always fix it with spacers. You know the rule, we can always decrease the backspacing with spacers, but we can't increase it.

ah, hadn't thought about the inner fenderwell, that was kind of a hasty reply. Personally, I couldn't tub the car, it would be hard to revert back to the original sheetmetal if that were done. I would rather modify the wheelwells, seems easier to "fix" later on. But hertzdonut might be interested in that . . .

My car is all original sheetmetal so tubbing is not an option for me. (some days I wish I didn't have a real Mach!) My interest in the 10's is Raceline GT's don't come in a 9 or 9.5" width, at least when it comes to 17" wheels. I'm exploring other options though (Globe Bathurst repros), so I may go safe with 9's if I could. I have freetime today though (finally) so I'm going to get in the garage this weekend and have a tape measure handy. I need to fire the car up from its hibernation anyway.

Thanks for the good info.

By the way, does anyone know where I can find Raceline GT's for sale anyway?

My car is all original sheetmetal so tubbing is not an option for me. (some days I wish I didn't have a real Mach!)

I agree with you and 70 Vert. I wouldn't do the mini-tub thing either although in the article I'm referring to they were able to maintain the original back seat.

Any Updates?

I'm not far enough along in my resto to buy wheels, but I do look every chance I get.

I too have looked at dodgestangs fitment guide, but I still wonder how much bigger can I go. I'm looking for 17's or 18's maybe as wide as 10", I want to fill up the WHOLE wheel well.

No updates yet. I'm waiting for a friend of mine to come through on stuff for my brake conversion and I'm not going to order wheels until I have the brakes installed (I'm sure the backspace requirement will change considerably).

Randy Marbles has 18 x 9's with 285/35's on the back that look really nice. They are Boyd wheels with a custom offest though and he doesn't state what that offset is.

http://www.marblesmotors.com/Stang-Wheels.htm

or better view here

http://www.marblesmotors.com/Stang-General.htm

Just a thought

-Stephen

This guy pretty much nailed it. The latest issue of Hot Rod has a black 69 that also has 285s in the rear except those are on 10s.

I sent an email to Mr Marbles the other day regarding wheel backspacing and here was the reply:

Front 18 x 8 with 4 1/2" backspacing Tires 245 / 40 / 18

Rear 18 x 9 with 5 5/8" backspacing Tires 285 / 35 / 18

Now hopefully something like that will work on mine, but I'd still want 10's.

there is a guy on stangnet that goes by corner carvin 67 that has 17x10 on the back of his 67. he has the perfect backspace as his don't rub at all and he has a 275/40-17 on the back. there is a lot more room in a 69 wheel tub than on a 67. i suggest you ask his advice on what backspace he uses.

I sent an email to Mr Marbles the other day regarding wheel backspacing and here was the reply:

You'd think it would if you went with 10's and 285's but until they are in hand I guess there is no telling. That would be 1/2" in each side.. hmmm..

-Stephen

Good move on the e-mail

If you can find 10s with a backspacing one inch greater than Mr. Marbles, they'll fit. In other words you need a 10 with 6.125 backspacing. :punk:

MD

You'd think it would if you went with 10's and 285's but until they are in hand I guess there is no telling. That would be 1/2" in each side.. hmmm..

-Stephen

The outboard portion of Mr. Marbles set up is optimal and looks well matched to the front wheels. To go with 10s I would suggest leaving success alone and stuffing all the extra meat on the inside and not splitting it up 1/2" on each side.

Others have ran late model wheels with up to 6.3 backspacing, so it will fit.

Good move on the e-mail

If you can find 10s with a backspacing one inch greater than Mr. Marbles, they'll fit. In other words you need a 10 with 6.125 backspacing. :punk:

MD

Thats the word of the day, "IF". Finding 10's with that b/s will be tough, unless I get custom wheels made. Maybe I can go to the junkyard and find some old 15's and hack them up, then weld 'em back together and then measure how wide i can go. Hey maybe that would be a good product to develop and sell, a gauge that can tell you offset and backspacing, hmmm:yes:

Depends on where you are looking and what style you want. Personally i love the deep dish 17/18s out now, like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Bullitt-Wheels-Chrome-18x9-18x10-bullet-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43958QQitemZ8048372689QQrdZ1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Bullitt-Wheels-18x9-18x10-Anthracite-Deep-Dish_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43958QQitemZ8048254207QQrdZ1

But then again it all depends on the rim size 15/16/17/18 and what style you are looking at. There are 17" rims on there with the same backspace. I don't like the large rims with tons of offset and no wheel lip. Looks too much like a matchbox car's wheels. Finding larger rims (say to clear the cobra 12" brake kit) that have a deeper dish is challenging, but looks much better IMO.

Thats the word of the day, "IF". Finding 10's with that b/s will be tough, unless I get custom wheels made. Maybe I can go to the junkyard and find some old 15's and hack them up, then weld 'em back together and then measure how wide i can go. Hey maybe that would be a good product to develop and sell, a gauge that can tell you offset and backspacing, hmmm:yes:

Such a tool does exist, go ask a good tire shop and they'll pull one out!

I've found custom backspaced wheels for as little as $1300 but have yet to confirm that. I was looking at Compomotive TS's with custom backspacing and it was just over $2k for the set of 4, 17X8 and 17X10 with that deep backspacing. The only other option may be to go with a 65/66 width rear end (the spring perch width is the same, but shorter overall) and that would let you use a wheel with backspacing in the 5-6" range. I've considered that route because I like the deeper looking wheels, but since I've already ordered new axles for my car I guess I'm going for big backspacing.

Such a tool does exist, go ask a good tire shop and they'll pull one out!

Well, DANG!! There goes my chance for a multi-million dollar invention. When I was going to college I worked at Allied Discount Tire and we never had a tool like that.