Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDinDestin

Fattest Tires and Wheels Possible Trivia Question

Perhaps this has been addressed already, but I'd like to hear what you guys think is the fattest tire and wheel combo that can be stuffed under a 69 or 70.

Don't bore me with "15 x 7 magnums with 245/60/15" type answers. Let's kick it up a notch.

Mark

I like the way Hal Baer's, of Baer Brakes, 69 looked on their site so I emailed him to ask him the size. They are 18x10's front and rear!!! I'll have to search my email for the tire size but they said they are BBS wheels designed for a BMW. They had to modify the hubs to pick up that particular bolt pattern.

if my calculations and the Google search is right, those wheels have a backspace/offset of 20cm or 7.87". I don't know how he drives that thing with those clearances around the wheelwells. The fenders don't look rolled at all either.

I'd like 17x9.5, Edelbrock 454s - I know it should fit in the rear, but anybody think this will fit in the front? I have rack and pinion and Ye Olde Reduced Turning Radius.

I don't know if the link below will work, you may need to copy and paste the link to your browser.

There's two pictures here of the best looking set up I've seen as far as the way the tires and wheels tuck under the fenders just right.

These are standard Saleen 10 inch and I think 9 inch rims in the front with 1/2" spacers in the front.

Tires are 295/40s on the rear and 245/40s in the front.

The owner reported no rubbing issues but the inner fenders are rolled.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid7694149&pathID=1043864

Mark

Wow i hope he has power steering or at least a rack in there. My little manual steer box has trouble with the 16x7's on front. Or should i say that i have a little trouble sometimes :D Wide tires up front and a manual steering box will make a man out of ya. 8)

There's two pictures here of the best looking set up I've seen as far as the way the tires and wheels tuck under the fenders just right.

These are standard Saleen 10 inch and I think 9 inch rims in the front with 1/2" spacers in the front.

Tires are 295/40s on the rear and 245/40s in the front.

The owner reported no rubbing issues but the inner fenders are rolled.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid7694149&pathID=1043864

Mark

Those wheels look like they don't have much backspace/offset. I can see why the 295s (!) tuck into the fender so closely but it seems like I've seen 245s that don't stick out that far. There are certainly 255/40/17 fronts on the dodgestang.com chart for a '69-70, and one of those guys has a 1" spacer out with his 5.95" offset wheels.

Anybody know what those wheels are and what the offset is?

Thanks for the link Mark,

Joe

I put 17x8 454's on my car, with some BF Goodrich G-Force T/A's that are 255/50. You can see them in the gallery, the car is the 302 stroker restomod. I had to put a power rack on it...I'm getting too old to fight to steer....

The current issue of Mustang Monthly has recommendations for largest wheel/tire sizes.....

I put 17x8 454's on my car, with some BF Goodrich G-Force T/A's that are 255/50. You can see them in the gallery, the car is the 302 stroker restomod. I had to put a power rack on it...I'm getting too old to fight to steer....

The current issue of Mustang Monthly has recommendations for largest wheel/tire sizes.....

Robbiedog,

You're my hero, man. 8) The look of your green sportsroof is the reason I decided to go with 454s on my '70 convertible. I'm gonna do a green too, but probably a lighter greyish green. I think the green really works with the grey in those wheels. Badass ride!

You're probably the best guy to ask, with a power R&P and the 454s - could you go 275 on the front there, you think, with a 9.5 wheel? I read the Mustang Monthly article, but I think those are conservative recommendations when you compare them with the dodgestang chart.

So what do you think, can I go with the a 17x9.5 with a 275 in front and the same in back with those 454s? I have a Steeroids rack so the reduced turning radius should actually help there.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Here's a shot of a 70 with 235/35/19s and 265/30/20s

http://www.mustangdepot.com/Media/images/gallery/Picture%20017.jpg

that's one reason I'd never sell my Mustang. God forbid anybody ever puts those kind of wheels on the car I've owned half my life. :evil: :lol: I'm sorry, but those belong on an Escalade on the "Unique Whips" show or "Pimp My Ride". :wink:

Does backspacing play a role in the tires actual position under the fender? I know spacers would but if you were to use two different offsets or reverse backspacing on the same style rim would tire size make a difference. Just thinking of creative was of getting big tires mounted without rolling the fender lip.

I've got 255/60/15's on 15x8. However, this Saturday it will be 275/60/15's (I hope). I think it will fit in....

225/70/15's up front on 15x7.

- J

275/60/15 are on and look great. I have about 1.5 inches to spare to the leaf springs. Fender clearance looks great.... :lol:

hey, you beat me to those rims, very nice. I am getting the same ones in the same size, was curious how they were going to look and I like it alot. What size tire did you go with and how much clearance is left?

I have Wheel Vintiques Billet Magnums 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear.Without cutting anything nothing wider will fit....

What.. why didn't you just cut it up.. :lol: Just kidding.

Very nice ride.. I've always drooled over '69 Boss cars... for over 30 years.

-Stephen

I don't blame you, it looks really good.

You stated you couldn't go any wider. I understand with those particular rims, but is there room for any additional backspacing?

In other words, if someone is buying custom rims, could they increase the backspacking without rubbing issues on the front suspension or rear inner fenderwells?