Machspeed

Oil Canning Roof?

Hey friends, been awhile! Good to see the usual gang still posting. For me, turn sixty and health goes to pot. First, surgery for a very large gallstone (freaking worse pain I've ever endured.), then double hernia surgery and finally, and most recently, triple bypass surgery. Seems there's always something to keep me from working on the Mustang. But, I'm thinking I'm back now!

Anyway, my goal is to get paint on the car this year! I've got a couple of obstacles I need to address and will be posting on them separately here. First and foremost, is some potential oil canning in the roof that I discovered while block sanding the roof. Not sure how this happened, perhaps in the media blasting but not sure. There is a few small dings in the roof but not that big of a deal and the roof has the correct contour. I'm going to address the small dings with a hammer and dolly and see where it takes me, but I'd like your thoughts as to whether this is normal or excessive? I'm pretty sure these roofs have some flex in them, but this much??? Anybody willing to push down on their roofs for me....LOL!   

Thanks,

John 

I have sprayed bed liner in the roof to stiffen it up ,if you have dings and hammer them it could get worse or better ,blasting a roof can cause shrinking in the metal causing the oil canning . 

I have played a flame under the oil caning spot but you can really screw it up if you are not careful .

John, sports roof do not have roof braces under the roof, right? Coupes have 2 braces, one in the middle and one between that and rear window but my first 70 Grande and 69 Grande has the oil canning on the roof between the front brace and windshield like yours. And the 70 Grande I am working on had it too. I made a 3rd brace from a metal conduit and installed between the front brace and windshield frame on the 70 Grande I am working on to fix the issue as I did not want to try to metal work it and make it worse. It is easy to mess up a big panel like the roof unless you are a real pro at metal work. I can get you some photos of my fix if you need. A heavy layer of bed liner or self sticking sound deadener/insulation should work too; I will also be applying self sticking on the roof.

11 hours ago, aslanefe said:

John, sports roof do not have roof braces under the roof, right? Coupes have 2 braces, one in the middle and one between that and rear window but my first 70 Grande and 69 Grande has the oil canning on the roof between the front brace and windshield like yours. And the 70 Grande I am working on had it too. I made a 3rd brace from a metal conduit and installed between the front brace and windshield frame on the 70 Grande I am working on to fix the issue as I did not want to try to metal work it and make it worse. It is easy to mess up a big panel like the roof unless you are a real pro at metal work. I can get you some photos of my fix if you need. A heavy layer of bed liner or self sticking sound deadener/insulation should work too; I will also be applying self sticking on the roof.

Braces are front and rear only, large area in the middle with no bracing. I saw somewhere where a fella made a brace but don't recall where. I also talked to a local guy about adding a brace so, I'd very much welcome your photos and info on this brace, so please post on it. 

Thanks for the well wishes too, appreciate that!  

Yikes, glad you're health issues are behind you, hopefully for a while. 

That roof panel is gonna need some work from a knowledgeable guy. I've seen videos from a guy in New England who uses a shrinking disc to get the oil can out of a hood. I wouldn't trust that repair to a rookie.

Here's the video, this guy is outstanding. 

https://youtu.be/RmLl5DTu-ek?si=p0KFODGREM447E7u

10 hours ago, Machspeed said:

Braces are front and rear only, large area in the middle with no bracing. I saw somewhere where a fella made a brace but don't recall where. I also talked to a local guy about adding a brace so, I'd very much welcome your photos and info on this brace, so please post on it. 

Thanks for the well wishes too, appreciate that!  

I'll get you some photos in a day or two.