Hertz65

Convertible Top advice

Looking for some advice from this knowledgeable community.

First, thank you to all the regular contributors to this site. The information you post has help me immensely on my car over the last few year.

My build is finished from a body and mechanical perspective and I'm now working through design and planning on the interior.

First here is a picture of the car.

The intent is to have a more modern approach to the build. With the roof I'm leaning towards a more modern finish and going with a canvas material rather then the traditional vinyl. Has anyone here have advice on which manufacturers to go with and is this a good idea?

If this was your car what color would you go?

Black

Off white

Tan

For interior finish, I'm currently leaning towards a custom made tan interior. I was recently told that vinyl material would be better for a convertible and leather will get damaged in the sun quickly. Anyone have any experience thoughts on this? 

Would appreciate all feedback as I'm struggling with next steps. 

Cheers

Don from down under.

IMG_5343 (2).jpg

Don, first of all, stunning car.  Well done!  Nice touch with the body color red bumper!

I would go with the lighter color interior and top. I think tan would look great.

There are a ton of aftermarket interior upholstery kits available from the major suppliers that have a custom look.  

Assume your summer season is pretty hot, so even though leather is great, it can get hot.  I would use some form of the "comfortweave" original upholstery, which might be more forgiving in the summer months. 

Vic

Thank you all, great feedback. I only recently saw the Tan roof option. I'll see what after market interior options would match this direction. I can understand your point about having a material option that has better airflow would suit a convertible.

@Vicfreg. I've watch your thread with great interest. I admire your skills and have used your story to help with parts of my project. Thanks for sharing it. PS are you going glass or plastic rear window in your roof?

I am using a glass rear window.  I am currently travelling on business, I will take some pics of my top when I get back home.  I have owned several convertibles, and I don't really recommend a plastic window.  Perhaps some of the other members have a different experience.  

Vic

I have the cloth top from robins or Robinson’s and it’s great.

i will not go back to the standard top

color is a personal thing.

only go a white top is you have some kind of white on the inside.

if you do an all tan interior then tan top, black maybe.

if you have tan inside and some black then black or tan will be fine.

you need to look at added details of color like trim, calipers, and such

C5A7797C-558C-425A-826A-412B3FC37FEC.jpeg

58D72D61-316E-40BA-B8A9-8A9F422C798A.jpeg