Sign in to follow this  
Brian Conway

Restored 69 Carb

I got a hold of a date and numbers correct carburetor last month.  Got it off ebay and after a little barter/swap I 'made an offer'.  Seller accepted and I had a shop, J and J Carburetors, rebuild and restore to original specs. I Installed a choke kit, bent a new fuel line, hooked up the pcv and installed on my 69 Cobra Jet.  A little fiddling around with the idle and the choke's fast idle speeds and we are back on the road.  All in all I am very satisfied with how it all turned out.  Gotta say the carb shop did a great job.  Three weeks turn around including shipping, no extra's, ran it before sending it back and did it for the price quoted.  Brian

69 Carb Resto -Spring a.JPG

69 Carb Choke Install g.JPG

69 Carb Resto x.JPG

I am in the exact same boat.  Looking to rebuild a numbers correct carb for my CJ.  What did it cost?  I found a new local guy I have never used before who is going to charge a couple hundred.  Would like to go with someone who has a track record.  Would like to know cost before going in that direction.

129F33E9-4729-4133-BB48-4BBECABAD45A.jpeg

910F576E-369C-46BB-B164-C0EBE09B3406.jpeg

BobW that code on your carb is that a U? I'm fortunate in that I have a local guy who worked for Holley for 3 decades and a mechanic do 2 69 M  code carbs for me and when I put one on my 428 I did zero adjustments. He is mostly a Chevy carb guy who does not advertise.  

IMG_3093.JPG

A Chevy guy who does Ford Carbs?  Would you happen to be talking about Henry Franklin in Portland?  I just got back my carb from him.  I took my “U” carb to him to get it rebuilt.  Unfortunately, the inside was trashed.  It was not salvageable.  He has thousands of carbs and found a better “U” core and rebuilt that for me.  I haven’t put it on the car yet, but I am very impressed.  I asked that he try to keep costs down so a few of the outside hardware pieces are painted instead of restoring the finish.  Unlike some people I have no problem saying what I paid.  I paid $900 and am very happy.  

AC6F5EFC-79DF-4EDA-809C-E0BC91162E80.jpeg

25ECE63E-C8D7-47BE-AEE7-3415E8BF909F.jpeg

E1C7D92B-AA7A-4883-B54F-8EDBF8C137E5.jpeg

On 10/18/2023 at 11:51 AM, BobW70Mach1 said:

A Chevy guy who does Ford Carbs?  Would you happen to be talking about Henry Franklin in Portland?  I just got back my carb from him.  I took my “U” carb to him to get it rebuilt.  Unfortunately, the inside was trashed.  It was not salvageable.  He has thousands of carbs and found a better “U” core and rebuilt that for me.  I haven’t put it on the car yet, but I am very impressed.  I asked that he try to keep costs down so a few of the outside hardware pieces are painted instead of restoring the finish.  Unlike some people I have no problem saying what I paid.  I paid $900 and am very happy.  

AC6F5EFC-79DF-4EDA-809C-E0BC91162E80.jpeg

25ECE63E-C8D7-47BE-AEE7-3415E8BF909F.jpeg

E1C7D92B-AA7A-4883-B54F-8EDBF8C137E5.jpeg

Yeah, but he worked at Holley for decades. No, his name is Jeff and lives between Lapeer and Davison here in Mi.  I'll post some pics of my 2 carbs but they are not on this computer. I was told to fill the spare carb with mineral spirits and move it around then pour it out. Saves the gaskets for long term storage. This is my other carb to the one on my engine pic and how they looked when I shipped both of them out. I won't say what I paid to have both restored but it was very very fair and I was missing parts for both. 

carb1.jpg

LDHH6478.JPG

carb2.jpg

101839303_holleycarb.thumb.png.1ecd2f10495c0b1b603bc82dca4998d2.png

4 minutes ago, shelbyman1970 said:

Yeah, but he worked at Holley for decades. No, his name is Jeff and lives between Lapeer and Davison here in Mi.  I'll post some pics of my 2 carbs but they are not on this computer. I was told to fill the spare carb with mineral spirits and move it around then pour it out. Saves the gaskets for long term storage. This is my other carb to the one on my engine pic and how they looked when I shipped both of them out. I won't say what I paid to have both restored but it was very very fair and I was missing parts for both. 

carb1.jpg

LDHH6478.JPG

carb2.jpg

4 minutes ago, shelbyman1970 said:

carb1.jpg

LDHH6478.JPG

carb2.jpg

911 dated M code carb.