sixt9stang

How to fix this gap with Torque box

Hey all,

Slow progress on my car but I am getting ready to weld in torque boxes and on the passenger side I have a gap of 1/4" or so. Everything seems to be measuring out fine so I am not sure where the issue is. 

I put in an inner rocker patch that is homemade so ignore how much that sticks out.

Some additional info: the space between the top of the frame rails is 27 3/8". The bottom is 27 9/16". 

That would probably fix the gap to spread them apart. But the rails are sitting Plum or extremely close to it according to my angle finder. Maybe 1° off. 

PXL_20230812_155630048.jpg

I put in some threaded rod. Got the frame rails spacing right, then found that it was out of square somewhere. Just finished cutting the welds from the passenger floor support to transmission crossmember to move that side. 

We are currently remeasuring the car to the datum line, checking for square, then going to try tacking some things together.

Finally I think we are going to fit the doors and fenders somehow to see how gaps are.

PXL_20230812_221347211.jpg

11 hours ago, RPM said:

Wow, didn't know you were that deep. 

I wasn't.... At first lol.  It just got to the point where I didn't like some of the metal work done a long time ago and the shape of the shock towers and frame rails. Yes, I could have fixed everything and I seen others fix them up by patching, but I didn't trust my skills to do that and decided to get new metal.

Anyways, we finally figured out what we had going on with being out of square. I don't know how we did it but when we measured and welded the frame rail into the passenger floor support it was in too deep. We decided it was easier to cut it loose from the transmission crossmember than cut the floor support from the frame rail. This will mean we can't use the floor support for any future measurements unfortunately. But everything is square now and the torque boxes are in. I will get a picture and post updates in my build thread probably. Hoping to make some good progress today!

Thanks for the help!

9 hours ago, jmlay said:

The tq boxes were a tight fit between the frame rail and rockers. I will look for my measurement notes tomorrow.

Thanks! I have been collecting any measurements I can find. The more to cross reference the better!