TomM

Evap Coil Test or Replace While R&R Heater Core

I think I know the answer to this question.  I'm in the middle of replacing my heater core.  While I'm at it, should I replace the evaporator coil?  I haven't had it tested yet but plan to.  Even if it passes a pressure test I'm probably better off replacing it, just didn't want to spend the additional $300.

I replaced mine when restoring the box . The only reason I did tho was they have them now that says they are 134A compatible .  Don't know what the difference is tho but I knew I was going to use 134A so I went with the new one. 

All of my fittings had rusted/corroded so badly I had to cut them off to get the hoses off the core, so mine was a mandatory replacement. Anyway, as I had it out I replaced both the heater core and evaporator so they are both new, and not almost 50 years old. NPD has a new style High Output evaporator for $262.07. Not sure how much better it should perform but living in South Florida, I hope a little better at least. I've not finished my AC install yet, so can't say.

20150725_171408.jpg

20160109_234719.jpg