bigmal

Trouble with my FMX

Hi guys,

Since refitting my FMX following the conversion to RHD I have been experiencing some problems.

Takes a few seconds to go into FWD or REV. Makes some strange wurring noises and as I his 160 it shifted down.

I took it to a recommended auto shop today to see what could be done.

Lots of metal and basically needs an overhaul. Estimated $1800 to $2000. He said it is not urgent and driving it longer won't make the overhaul cost any more so for the time being I will keep driving it until I need the overhaul.

I am wondering if I should move to a C4 or stick with the FMX. Cost will be a factor as well.

To overhaul the FMX the guy said getting the roller bearings is near impossible. Does anyone know of they are available in the US?

Is the C4 a much better gearbox than the FMX? I am running a stock 351C 4V.

If I was to change to a C4 What would I need to change as well? Will the shifter be the same? Tail shaft? Flex plate?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, bigmal said:

Hi guys,

Since refitting my FMX following the conversion to RHD I have been experiencing some problems.

Takes a few seconds to go into FWD or REV. Makes some strange wurring noises and as I his 160 it shifted down.

I took it to a recommended auto shop today to see what could be done.

Lots of metal and basically needs an overhaul. Estimated $1800 to $2000. He said it is not urgent and driving it longer won't make the overhaul cost any more so for the time being I will keep driving it until I need the overhaul.

I am wondering if I should move to a C4 or stick with the FMX. Cost will be a factor as well.

To overhaul the FMX the guy said getting the roller bearings is near impossible. Does anyone know of they are available in the US?

Is the C4 a much better gearbox than the FMX? I am running a stock 351C 4V.

If I was to change to a C4 What would I need to change as well? Will the shifter be the same? Tail shaft? Flex plate?

Thanks.

I had to rebuild my FMX about 5 yrs ago and it was hard getting bearing parts then . I had the transmission shop strip the tranny down first and he then gave me a list of parts to find.

Unless you want to stay original I would go for the c4. Heaps of parts available . Might be a bit more expensive route as I would think the tail shaft and mounts and maybe bell housing would be different. Benefits would be a stronger and lighter gearbox. 

Hopefully plenty of knowledge on here to give you a better answer. 

Mark

If it were my car and getting the parts for the FMX are too difficult, I would choose a C6 for a trans without overdrive.  There are C6's available with a small block bell housing.  In stock form, the C4 is a weaker trans than the FMX.  The C6 is stronger than both the FMX and C4.  There is a reason Ford used the C4 behind the 289 and 302 motors and the 351C and 351W motors got an FMX.  For than matter, for all the years Ford installed the 289, 302, 351C, or 351W motors in cars and trucks, the 351 based motors always got stronger automatic transmissions than the 289 and 302 motors.