Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

To stroke the 5.0 or not?

I am going to be working on the engine near the end of the winter & I am trying to decide if I want to stroke it or leave the bottom end stoke & just have it freshened up. The engine is a 5.0 out of a 1987 CV that onlt had about 70K miles but has not been run in about 8 years. I thin I should have new bearings, seals, & rings put in it before putting on the heads & intake that I have acquired for it. What do you all think?. 

Pros:
Going with a stroked lower end will give you a ton more torque which really makes it a lot more fun to drive.  The difference between my 306 and 347 with the same GT40x heads and E303 cam (I think you said you have the B cam so it would be a little different than this) is in the range of 100 foot/lb.  The horse power increases as well but more in the 30-40 hp range.  The numbers calculated by Ford Performance are supposed to be around 370 hp and 400 ft/lb and is a ton of fun to drive with a C4 and 3.55 TruTrac rear.  Burnouts can go for days if you're into that kind of thing.

Cons:

However on the other side of the equation I've heard stroking a 302 to 347 can reduce it's useful life.  Though with a summer car that you only put say 5k or less on year how much would that may not be an issue.  Below is an article where they talk about this and it looks like they recommend 331 for better life with street use.   Another consideration is that if you up the horse power and torque you need to up the build on your clutch components, transmission, and possibly rear end.  I just killed a C4 even though it was supposedly rebuilt (5/6 years ago) to handle ~400hp.  Finally I'm not sure if you purchased your exhaust already, but it if you are going to the trouble of stroking the motor you're going to want an exhaust that flows a lot better.  I'm sure others may have different suggestions but Headers and dual 2.5 would be in order. 

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/04/331/ 

One last note I used the same 4150 Holley and RPM air-gap and just had to re-jet, change the power valve, and re-tune it so that was one thing that didn't need changed.

The 347 suffers from issues with rod angle that can accelerate wear. They have gotten a lot better over the years with their longevity but I am in the camp that believes the best stroker for a small block is the 331