Sign in to follow this  
Rcodenewf

69 70 convertible top piece needed

Looking for the long piece of the convertible top mechanism that lays across the windshield top. Looks like it is made out of aluminum or white metal. This one is heavily corroded and has chunks of metal missing. I'll try to post a pic of the one on this car. thanks..John

20170626_110351.jpg

20170626_110411.jpg

That is often called the conv top header.

they don't come up often but you may have to buy a whole top to get it. Problem is that most convertables that are getting parted out are rusty and that part may be corroded.

my 69 conv had one that was pitted but not that badly.

i removed it and sandblasted it.

then using epoxy I filled it in. They make epoxies that are made for aluminum and have aluminum dust as a filler. They even claim after setting up you can drill and tap them. Might want to give that a try. Mine was done 15+ years ago and is still good

bob

It's been a long time, I would get something that is high quality, perhaps,for aircraft or milspec.

be sure to get that original,part as corrosion free as you can so,you are attaching to metal, not corrosion

bob

I might have one, I will need to look.  I have a convertible, and I grabbed spare parts for it 30 years ago, just in case they could be needed in the future.  Most parts are now available as aftermarket new, and so my parts are not   needed as much.  This one is not an aftermarket part.  I will look and see what I have.  

I do have one, but it is attached to a complete top.  I guess the entire deal depends on what it is worth.  The one I have would take a lot of work to get out, examine, get photos, and take care of the details.  If your  price is $100, then it is not worth my time.  If it is $1000, then it is. In between it needs consideration. 

Hello Danno and thanks for responding. I certainly understand where you are coming from. The only piece needed to complete this build is the header portion that lays on the top of the front windshield.. I can certainly understand that you might not want to separate it from the complete top mechanism and I don't expect you to do that.

I guess i'll keep looking for just that part. thank you and best regards....John

If this is aluminum,  this piece can certainly be  reworked by the right metal shop.  Someone with an heliarc welder can easily add aluminum to it, and polish off what is not needed. You have some oxidation on there that needs to be cleaned up first, but I see no reason why this could not be fixed if it is aluminum.   If it is pot metal ( as I suspect it is) then your only hope of cleaning it up would be with a fiberglass overcoat and fill.