Bob & Sue

Help to ID C6 C4 FMX

Last night I was 1/2 way under the car noticed my tranny is all aluminum at least the body & tail shaft I couldn't see the bell housing. When I bought the car the build sheet said it came with an FMX , looking at the paperwork from the PO when the engine was re-built they also re-built the tranny not sure if they swapped trans out for a C6 or C4. I used a magnet the trans & tail shaft are aluminum, I'm going to get it up on a lift next week to fix a worn out power steering boot and look it over.

Paper work also says installed shift kit & new extra capacity finned oil pan, no manufacturer names.

My real question is next winter I plan on putting in an AOD thinking it had an FMX in it now with probably C6 what other parts do I need to install an AOD & which year AOD would be the best for a 351W with about 375 to 400 hp.

I had pretty much everything figured out for the swap before I found this out.   

I'm totally ignorant on Ford Tranny's.

I have an AOD in my 69 and knowing what I know now I would go with the 4R70 with baugmann shifter.  The 4R is about an inch longer in the bell area due to the converter being thicker. It could cause interference with  headers. 

Dave