machm1970

Front marker lights/turn signals

That makes sense now. Funny thing, I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but I installed a turn signal style hood scoop and the wiring harness for it listed as "69-70" when I went to plug it in the plugs wouldn't fit. Turns out they're 69 only. I was in the process of making my own plug and play harness when I discovered it.

Matt

I spoke with NPD, they said they're having alot of issues with their vendor; wired wrong, labeled wrong, etc. They're sending me a replacement set. In the meantime I rewired these with weatherpak butt connectors and they work now, I also made my own plug and play harness for the turn signal indicators on the hood.

Matt

On 7/1/2017 at 0:10 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

Whoops, yep I misunderstood which lights. Machm1970 and larryc94 are correct. Its still the same scenerio. You've lost the grounds for one or both of the front two turn signals/ park lights. Since the 1157 bulbs have two filaments in them, if you loose the ground, both filaments are still connected together at the base of the bulb, so it goes thru the Park filament and over to the bulb on the other side and to ground. If you turn the headlights on there is no path for the turn filament.

Its impossible to follow on the wire diagram (there is just too much going on), but on a schematic its much easier to see. See the attached page 3 of the schematic. Look at the left front light with two filaments. Its about in the middle, just below center.

Imagine that the grounds are not connected to chassis, but they are to themselves at the base of the bulb (that's how the bulb is made). The filaments are put in series and the power looks for a ground path, and finds it through the other Park filament. I'm not saying its the left front, that's just an example, it could be the right front. Anyway, look at the schematic and if you can follow the path it should become obvious. 

MUSTANG SCHEMATIC PG3.pdf

Dude.  I am totally digging all these schematics.  You clearly have done this for a living?  I really appreciate having this alternative de-bugging tool!  Thanks so much for posting all of this stuff!

14 hours ago, JayEstes said:

Dude.  I am totally digging all these schematics.  You clearly have done this for a living?  I really appreciate having this alternative de-bugging tool!  Thanks so much for posting all of this stuff!

Yes, I'm a retired electrical engineer. Glad you find them useful. I'm about to post the entire car 4 page schematic and a spreadsheet that calculates total car amps. Edit: they are in How To.