Sign in to follow this  
TomM

2000 Explorer Mtr w/ GT40p and T5 for my 70 FB

I'm considering a 2000 Explorer motor with GT40p heads and a T5 for my 70 FB roller.  The setup is currently in an 89 Mustang for sale on CL.  Will the motor mounts match my 70 and with the shifter fit in my factory floor cutout?  Thanks, Tom

The motor will bolt right in but the GT40p heads can cause a problem with headers.

regular headers for your car will not fit the heads because of the revised spark plug angle on the P heads. 

The headsers made for the P heads in your car will be very expensive. If you can modify a set of headers yourself then that's an option

how much for the setup? If the price is right you could put a set of aluminum heads on and then sell the GT40p heads with the shorty headers on them to recoup some money

bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  $1500 for a turnkey engine/clutch/T5 assembly, carbed.  This is a father/son project so I'm looking for something that runs (barely) so I can move the car around until next summer when we can rebuild the motor.  There's plenty of "it was running when I pulled it" out there for sale but it's been tough to find something I can verify is in running condition.  This setup is currently in a 89 Mustang that can be driven.  I'm new to Mustangs so I don't know whether or not it's a good price, but based on a month or so of research, it doesn't seem too bad.  Thanks, Tom

15 hours ago, Rsanter said:

yes with the correct headers you can use the P heads. But how much are those JBA headers?

Most cheap headers have issues - I've been down that road before.  I paid $600 for mine but I think they are more now.  The ones I used are ceramic coated and with the JBA exhaust everything fits nicely and works well.

david

On 5/3/2017 at 4:42 PM, TomM said:

Will the T5 shifter handle line up with the factory hole in the floor?

Yes it will, the T5 swap is very popular and there are longs of parts and info to support it

bob